Professor Paddle: China question from a friend vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: China question from a friend Post Reply Post New Topic
Camrun
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Camrun Replybullet Topic: China question from a friend
    Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 7:11pm
From a friend:
I'm looking for some expertise about the rivers of SE Asia. We are researching a return to Shangri-La, this time at least partly by water. We're concerned with the dams China is building/planning and the effects of the lives of those downriver. We were fascinated that some families spend their entire lives on the Mekong, even selling their fish from the boat, birthing, the lot.
We loved traveling near it by tandem (bike), and are considering buying a local boat, and starting perhaps as far up as Yunnan province of China on the Mekong, or near the border with China on the Irawaddy in Myanmar. We aren't planning on any whitewater, nothing we can't line around anyway.
I'm not having much luck finding information on the river state at various locations.

We want to start below any significant whitewaterl. We wonder if you know anyone who has been there, even on the upper river for the whitewater?
all the best,
Bob
PS. Also any sites or personal contacts would be appreciated
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:58pm
If you want to run the Mekong below any whitewater, you have to start pretty low because there's cray-cray rapids at the southern Lao border: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khone_Phapheng_Falls (btw, endangered 10ft catfish!). You could always portage.

I spent a couple days in the Mekong delta not too long ago. It was interesting. If you go there, the southern part of your trip will feature excellent tropical fruits.

I'd say your first task is to figure out which river you want to run -- the Irawaddy will have very different political logistics. Last I checked your movements in Myanmar are pretty limited w/o special permits. Mekong you might have a few border issues, but should otherwise be able to go where you please.

This is such an interesting part of the world, sounds like a great trip.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version