Professor Paddle: Silver Creek (Cowlitz) vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Silver Creek (Cowlitz) Post Reply Post New Topic
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Travisimo Replybullet Topic: Silver Creek (Cowlitz)
    Posted: 13 May 2013 at 10:18pm
We got on Silver Creek on Sunday. The lower road (it's a loop) has been washed out for years. The upper was snowed, so we hiked about 4 miles total. It was a serious undertaking, we took the first abandoned logging road down. It wound up being covered nearly 100% with downed trees for about 2 miles?

The work did pay off though, what an amazing run! The upper half we didn't get on but there's supposedly a 60 footer...

Hard to find with water in it. Snowmobiles would have helped. Don't know if I'd have gone if I knew what was ahead, but I'm glad I did. This is the kind of trip I live for! First decent since the 90s, before the road blew out. Sweet run!

Silver Creek (Cowlitz)
H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2013 at 5:28am
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2013 at 8:09am
Travis, what time did you guys start driving up/hiking?
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2013 at 10:12am
Dan, the last line in the post is a youtube link!

you can cut and paste this if it doesn't work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWSWPo5_YRM&list=UUeVR5jHYf-5tdRVKJkq8Q6Q&index=1

Edited by Travisimo - 14 May 2013 at 10:25am
H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2013 at 10:17am
We met in Randle at 9am, tried to drive around. Looong drive, wasted about 2 hours when we got stopped by snow. Turned around and came back, the parking for the hike and takeout are only 4 miles apart. The takeout bridge is in town, and the putin is 4 miles up the closest road.

We started hiking at about 11:30, and at 4:30 I don't think we'd seen the river yet! I think we were on about 5:15, and there was more whitewater than we thought. One semi-runnable class 5+ we portaged and one big logjam, otherwise pretty clean! No real pools either, continuous 4+ read and run with some of the most old growth I've seen. There was even one growing out of the actual river! Was beautiful, but work!

I'd like to put in at the very top eventually to see what's up there!

We got to the bridge about 8:30, that is the most beautiful bridge I've seen in a long time.

Edited by Travisimo - 14 May 2013 at 10:22am
H2O please
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2013 at 10:15pm
Hey Travis. That's a big day! Good to hear the run is mostly clean. Last time I did Lower Silver was 2003 (when the road was still open), and you could still boat under that log jam. Really wish they'd fix FR47, so you could just drive up. Back in the late 90s we did the Lower a couple times, and also one trip on the Upper run. Upper had some interesting drops (more bedrock, and steeper than the Lower), but a fair amount of wood, too. Once the FR from Skate Creek is snow free, should be able to access the Upper run that way.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2013 at 3:46pm
Thanks JD, good to know!

I don't see them fixing that road ever though... huuuuge slide.

The upper sounds super interesting now, do you think it'll have water when the snow melts though? How low would you do it and how high have you done it?

Really beautiful river, but boy did we pick the wrong putin!

Any way that 60 footer is runnable?

Edited by Travisimo - 15 May 2013 at 3:48pm
H2O please
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2013 at 5:12pm
Only way they'd fix it, is if they need it for logging. Silver has a lower drainage than others in the Cowlitz, so tends to go out earlier. We had a nice med/med-low flow when we did the Upper (6/5/99).....Cowlitz at Randle 5,600 rising to 6,100; Cowlitz at Packwood 3,000 rising to 3,500. Only did it the one time.

I'm sure by today's generation the big falls would be runnable. Pool depth seemed reasonable, but I'd look more closely if I was going to fire it up.
Well done to get in there! It's a pretty run, especially that first stretch.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version