Professor Paddle: SKY FEST!!--This Weekend. vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Topic: SKY FEST!!--This Weekend. Post Reply Post New Topic
deanej
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deanej Replybullet Topic: SKY FEST!!--This Weekend.
    Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 12:32am
Hey Paddlers come claim your sweet prize this coming weekend! We have a Sky River Clean Up on Friday starting at 9am and free hot dog feed with complimentary raft float after.

The WW Downriver races are on Saturday with mass starts for both the advance and intermediate categories.

Slalom clinics on Saturday and timed slalom races on Sunday welcome both tradition slalom boats and plastic boats.

Come out for a good time in the sun!!

Skyfest.org for preregistration! Day of registration will also be available.

Edited by deanej - 04 Jul 2013 at 12:32am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 10:46am
Anyway we can get a bit more details on the kayak races? The schedule and timeline seem to be pretty loose. Website shows 1-8pm and multiple disciplines?
Any more specific details on: Boat length? Where? When?

Thanks, Darren
253 549 3945

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 10:19am
This event is a great idea, but seems poorly executed. No race times, specifics, no one responding... who is coordinating this?   Giving a 7 hour race window on gthe website??? yikes. Maybe next year the organizers can work the kinks out of this event to increase participation and revive a great event that once was.   
deanej
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote deanej Replybullet Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 10:49am
Hey Guys,
Races meet at the River House in Index.
Saturday
Kayak Races-1pm
Top Tye Race-4pm (meeting at take out at 3:45)
Oars-5pm
Raft Race (R2/R4)-6pm

Sunday
Slalom Race 8am-3pm (plastic boats encouraged!!)

Sorry for not posting this sooner, PP wasn't the main way of communicating this information.
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 2:14pm
Thank you Janelle for posting the race info!

My previous post was a bit rude (I Apologize) and it overflows with frustration, as many of us local paddlers wanted to plan our weekend around SOME of the sky fest events, but a very loose schedule and no details on the website makes it difficult.

A small suggestion: There are only a few whitewater paddling clubs in Washington(WKC,WRRR,UPS) but this website ( Professor Paddle) likely reaches more of your target audience than spending $10,000 in grant money on advertising with a national magazine who's target audience is flat water paddlers on the east coast. Unless the cash purse is substantial, your likely not going to attract many out of state paddlers, and its likely a large waste of money. I hope Sky Fest keep it's grass roots, and future organizers spend more energy/money reaching out to the vibrant local paddling community, clubs, and organizations we have here in the PNW. I truly believe the return on investment will be much greater.       

tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 9:24am
Well said.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 8:39pm
Good points all, and I think we all understand that Janelle was paddling upstream a bit in that this is the first time for this gig, the first time for her to attempt to facilitate something this ambitious, and the first time for the Index gang to go so big.

She has worked very hard, as has everyone, in cross-currents of expectations to keep the lamps trimmed and burning, and the points raised here are polite. I know Janelle and she is pretty darn amazing, I'm sure that any lapses are simply the result of trying to cover so many bases being all things to all people who get traction on the Hwy 2 corridor.....I would have been there myself except for a Main Salmon permit that opened up at the last minute (cough, cough)
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version