Professor Paddle: Lower Salmon - Wasps? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Lower Salmon - Wasps? Post Reply Post New Topic
NightbeastNW
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NightbeastNW Replybullet Topic: Lower Salmon - Wasps?
    Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 2:18pm
Just got off the phone with the shuttle company, she informed me of the HUGE number of WASPS this year.  I remember there being some last year but people are talking on Mountain Buzz of trapping these guys in the HUNDREDS. 

Anyone just get off the lower?  Anyone have any BETA?

Pretty sure i'm headed to the store to buy net shelters and hella wasps traps!

Also going to set up a 'decoy' table for those stupid f**king 6 legged flying devils!  haha
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 9:05pm
Yes, they are really bad this year. Not sure why, some years are worse than others. They are also really bad in BC. Eating food becomes a pain in the ass....
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 11:18am
fu*kin White Anglo Saxon Protestants on our nation's rivers!
Always wanting you to fix them lunch...

Man, they really are a pain in the ass!

-oh-
You said six legged devils...

Haha- sorry to all of you protestants out there- just bein a joker, you know

I don't hate wasps of any kind. I just hate fixing lunch for people on river trips. What is this? Iron Chef?!

"jP-- Pack your knives and go"
"Well fu*k You, Mr. Wannabe Reality TV Show Producer--just try and get me off of this island, and good luck gettin this boat to the take out without a healthy heap of pain and suffering. Take that rolla table and shove it up..."

Haha- just kiddin again. Luckily reality tv has not imposed itself on our little chunk of paradise. The truth is that, while I am still pushing and occasionally grinding rubber from the dryden dam to cashmere on about 1000 very thinnly spread out cfs, I am not really getting stuck anywhere. Got the binocculors out in these static pools observing tons of birds and especially osprey... This is still a great trip.

Wasps on the Salmon,however, could certainly be a formidible foe. Those pests are attracted to just about anything edible. On a hot, dry summer like this one I'm not surprised they are so thick.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
ENDO
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote ENDO Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 2:54pm
Yes, they are booming right now. Horseflies too. Avoid any bright/flowery prints. we had many people getting nailed on both our lower salmon trip and selway trip. Bring some stuff for stings. Once evening rolls around its not bad at all. As usual they congregated mostly around inflo streams and muddy patches. I have never seen this many. Early in the morning we would float through huge swarms as they fed off the morning hatches. It was a really weird experience.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:49am
Wow, Endo- sounds kinda gnarly, actually. Thanks for the Beta
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 3:42pm
Most likely, they are being driven down into the valleys by the forest fires.  When I lived in Idaho there was a strong correlation to how many bees there were, to the number of forest fires.
NightbeastNW
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote NightbeastNW Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 11:55am
Just got off the Lower yesterday....  If anyone is putting on, bring a bunch of canned fruit cocktail, the yellow jackets LOVED that stuff.  We setup a couple 'decoy' spots that helped when we ate but the little buggers were constantly around.  Literally the most insects I have ever seen.  It is so nice to be sitting at my desk in Seattle and not have any bees hanging out.....

The trip was still awesome minus the lack of enough alcohol for some people...  Someone should have bought more ice as well...  Warm beer sucks. 

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version