Professor Paddle: Tieton is on... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Tieton is on... Post Reply Post New Topic
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Topic: Tieton is on...
    Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 8:47am
Just a heads up since many aren't aware. The Tieton flip flop started early this year (due to the early and long summer the crops needed the water sooner) and the flow is already over 1000. (last check was around 1100-1200).

So if you've been itching for some of that east side drainage ditch goodness... it's in.

Usually they don't start ramping up flows until a few days before labor day with low but runnable flows for labor day and then peaking 2-3 weeks into September. This year the peak flows could very well be on Labor Day weekend.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 11:40am
So... Does that mean you expect a shorter release (shorter season)? Or that the location of the peak flow along that timeline will be earlier?

Any rough way of knowing what peak volume will be? Last year was the only year I ran it (yup- I finally made it out to the Tieton). On the low end when we first got out there flows were about 800-900cfs. According to my river log flows peaked at around 2300 +/- around the middle of the month.

I gotta admit that ditch is fun once there is at least 1500 pushin through there. I recommend a longboat, for hardshell kayakers though: creekboats would be boring to paddle and there ain't really any action for a playboat (that wave under the bridge ain't all that special). Where it's at for kayaking on the Tieton is down river speed. Get a long boat that can travel fast. Trust me. Some serious pourover boofs and dynamic s-turns, but you need speed to tap into the full effect...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 1:17pm
Well, basically the sooner they start the sooner the water will run out. I haven't heard much definitiely, but I'd expect levels getting lower the last couple weeks of September this year rather than running into early October, as has happened in the past.

And definitey agree, the more water is pouring down, the more fun it gets. I miss the old days when the peak flows were routinely 2600-2900. Really starts to get some bigwater feel then, but the yard sales including commercial carnage become epic.
commander fun
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote commander fun Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 1:34pm
well let me know when you guys want go.
kirkrorrer
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote kirkrorrer Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 12:52pm
The flow currently says 189, are these releases in a certain window?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
commander fun
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote commander fun Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 1:35pm
the guage linked to this site must be not working correctly.  the american whitewater guage reports it to be 1400
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 3:35pm
I'm going to have to disagree with JP here. The tieton is all about the playboat. There are TONS and TONS and TONS of waves for many many miles. There's lots of small surf, wave wheels and goods to be had. The bridge wave is good in a medium flow and gives blunts and great front surfing.

Go check it out. I'd avoid Labor Day weekend cause its a total sh*t show, but otherwise its all good.

Edited by jblum - 25 Aug 2013 at 3:35pm
JHB
dylan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote dylan Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 8:27pm
Jp. Bridge Wave has a window, and when it's open, there's a sweet breeze blowing through the causeway. Plus, you can hop out and get some beer n' eggs.

As far as playboats go, there is an abundance of splatitude on a mosaic of rocks. Feldspar and finer matter.

Either way, I'm glad you finally made it to the Tieton!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 1:17am
Haha! Nice descriptions, Dylan- yeah, its all cool just being out on the river. You know I gotta put the plug in for the long boat though- if for no other reason that it is simply a lost art these days. Playboats and that whole approach are a dime a dozen. And that's cool. But there is a whole other dimension when you add speed to the equation that is completely lost on the modern day paddler who only knows short, stubby boats. I just think it would be cool to simply see more longer, faster kayaks on the water. They are a great way to add an incredibly dynamic and fast paced element to class III runs such as the Tieton. I'm talking about catching air without ever slowing down.

As plain as that run is, I was impressed with the velocity present in that riverbed. A longer kayak can tap into that energy in ways that playboats and creekboats simply can't touch. Ampliy that energy and harness that momentum. Redirect it. I'll be honest- without a longer boat on that run I get bored pretty quick.

Anyway, I do plan to make a trip or two out that way. Anyone who has a faster boat who wants to form a longboat posse out there, let me know. I know all kinds of fast dynamic moves down that run that are actually exhilerating. All in a class III setting too. Great way to get a lot of fast paced action without the consequences of "Washington class IV" or class V. Also hones boat control and gets a paddler dialed in for that harder stuff, but in a safer setting.

That's my plug for longer, faster boats.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
commander fun
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote commander fun Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 5:55pm
who wants to go to the tieton this weekend?   i can fit three people in my car, or someone else can drive.  i'll be leaving from marysville fri or sat whatever works.
i cant recieve text messages, so just call.
206-553-9461

Edited by commander fun - 28 Aug 2013 at 7:13pm
Kyle_Nicholson
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Kyle_Nicholson Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 7:40pm
Hey two questions, I am thinking about taking a trip to the Tieton sunday. Is it hard to hitchhike a shuttle?   Are the parking area's relatively shaded? Don't want to leave my dog at home all day.
commander fun
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote commander fun Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 8:09pm
hitchhiking should be easy.  you could probably make a tarp tent for the dog.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 11:58am
Hey Jonathan Blum and Commander Fun- hope you guys don't mind but I consolidated your posts on this thread, because I figure we don't really need two Tieton Threads...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
thatguydan
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote thatguydan Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 2:16am
Headed from Portland back to Leavy this Friday (9/6) and would like tget lap or 2 in. Anyone keen?
lubes
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote lubes Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 11:53pm
As it turns out, 1,200 CFS is a bit low to send it over the top of High Noon in a raft. Just in case any fellow rubber pushers are wondering.
Chris Lubenow
206-788-5630
Lube it or lose it!
TomMarley
Paddler
Paddler

Quote TomMarley Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 7:37am
Originally posted by lubes

As it turns out, 1,200 CFS is a bit low to send it over the top of High Noon in a raft. Just in case any fellow rubber pushers are wondering.

Keep swimmin 'em, Lubes!

Edited by TomMarley - 05 Sep 2013 at 7:38am
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version