Professor Paddle: pinning food for thought ? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: pinning food for thought ? Post Reply Post New Topic
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FLUID Replybullet Topic: pinning food for thought ?
    Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 7:55am
 The other day I was paddling and had a really bad pin. Luckily I was with some very good kayakers who are on it and very quick at getting out of there boat and got to me very quickly. I guess Ive been thinking about it and wanted to just talk about it for the purpose of education because I relearned some stuff that day and am rethinking and now changing how I look at rescues and what I bring on the river.

I was pinned slightly upstream with my stern pinned down and my bow locked on a rock (i was in a little chute pinned sideways).
#1 am I stable ?  #2 should I pull my skirt or should I not pull my skirt ?? will it compromise my airway or stabilty before my team can get to me ?? #3 can my team get to me ???  i'll touch on this in a sec.

These are all good questions to ask yourself very quickly in any pin situation and sometimes you just don't know. Case study after case study is 50/50 pulling your skirt to get out has driven folks further into sives or made the pin worse while staying put for you buddies to get you a line would have been the call but all to often is it hine sight 20/20....

In my situation I was leaning up stream and my stern was slipping down and water was starting to go over my shoulder but I was fairly stable and had a good airway but felt if I popped my skirt I would have sucken further underwater and got trapped inbetween my boat and the water falling ontop of me. luckily i was easily reachable and Ben hopped in down stream and tried pulling my boat off. next Darren got me a rope and I clipped it to my rescue tether he held on I popped my skirt and hopped out but I needed the rope above me for the leverage to get out because of the force of water. all in all it was quick and my team acted quick and I got out but it had the potential to be a bad pin..

Heres what I learned : every pin is different and it will take a different skill every time i.e pulling your skirt vs not pulling, wiggling around or not moving becuse your stable. these things will change but below are sonme things I thought about that should never change.

#1- Be your own rescuer. I just bought a throw bag that goes on your waist and will always have it on. If I am pinned I do not need to pop my skirt to get my other bag incase my team doesnt have one or they drop it and I can throw a bag to shore. If you recieve a rope clip it to your tether if your team can't reach you clip your rope to your tether and try throwing it to your team. clipping to yourself is key in case the pin gets worse or you lose your airway and go unconscious then you they still have you.

#2 If your n the middle of the river and your team can't get to you or you think your situation might get worse you could clip your bag to your tether and throw it down stream for your team to snag.

If your buddy was pinned and you couldnt get to him and he couldnt grab a rope for some reason but he clipped his bag and threw it down stream you could snag his rope in the river and thus have him on tether. I like the idea of the snag plate for having in any rescue ..

#4 practice getting out of your boat really quick in hard to get out places. always have your rope in the front cockpit so you don't have to dig for it. your waist rope which I am a new believer in is short however you should always carry a 75 or 80' bag between your legs. Ben reminded me it was good practice that if someone is in a hole practice getting out of your boat really quick and getting your rope ready. its good practice , you might need the rope and will come in handy if your buddy ever needs you really quickly..

The one thing Ive learned over the years from to wrong is because the team couldnt get a bag to the victim.  If you can be a part of the rescue as a victim and give them a rope attatched to you for them to grab your odds are much better.

- always clip the bag to your tow tether incase the pin gets worse or you pass out underwater.
 - have a bag on your waist ontop of your skirt incase you need it in a pin for your team and you can throw it for them to snag down stream

- carry a snag plate incase you can't reach your buddy or hes under water and he throws a rope out attatched to himself.... it would take both people to be prepared and practice this but its a best case

just like in kayaking you should be proactive in every action, even your own rescue 

Thanks for listening and its just food for thought as I relearned some new stuff even though im on the river all the time running class V I just started taking it for granted and safety is paramount...

stay safe, keep kayaking

Totten~
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 9:12am
Thanks for posting - hearing about rescues is good for me since my "database" is mainly what I have learned through instruction, but reports of rescues gives me valuable info.  Seems like the snag plate would be an easy add-on.  I have the Astral PFD with the front pocket for a rope, which I hadn't been carrying as of late, but might rethink. Someone posted a video here from a rescue on a CO river where the guy was pinned for 20 minutes, but kept the skirt on, which was a good move since he had a foot entrapped.  But I wonder if the technique you describe might have cut down on his rescue time had he been able to pull out a rope that was already around his waist and then clip his boat and then let the rope drift downstream for his buddies to grab - seems plausible.  I'd love to hear more opinions on this (JP!).
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 9:58am
That sounds like a close call. Glad it turned out OK.

Some pretty good thoughts there.

There's a classic exercise to simulate a pin on dry land to try to help people understand how difficult it can be to exit a pinned boat. Have a couple strong friends ready to help.

Tie a boat to a tree or something such that the bow is down and the stern is up. Not too vertical at first. Maybe 45 degrees, then more and more vertical later. Climb in the boat(a chair helps) and get settled in the seat, then try to climb out of the boat. try to climb out of the boat with just one hand(in case the other is busy, damaged or otherwise unavailable). Then try it with out any hands. Then try it such that you have to crawl out through your skirt tunnel(simulating a pin that pinches the skirt and won't allow the skirt to release from the cockpit).

Don't take this exercise lightly, as, I've seen people get hurt and I've seen people that just plain couldn't get out of a vertical. A couple strong people spotting is a good idea.

Though it's not as fun as it is in the water, you can simulate a lot of rescue scenarios on dry land, including recreating Totten's situation.

not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 10:49am
Glad to hear you got yourself out that rotten situation!

Do you think a salamander visor would have provided a good air pocket? just kidding

good insight on a throw-bag being accessible on your persons instead of only inside of your boat.  and also the throw bag that is in your boat being accessible rather than behind your seat.  my newer bliss stick has some bungies for it right in my lap, i dig that.

glad your okay bro

Edited by not-very-clever - 28 Aug 2013 at 10:57am
http://www.precisionmotions.wordpress.com
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 11:07am
Haha... Yeah Pete I think the salamander visor would have given me super hero powers ! Did the river rip that thing off yet ??

No really it wasn't that bad it was no where near a close call it was just a really sh*ty pin where I needed help and luckily Darren and Ben were really fast and the conditions were right .. More it made me think of what if that same solid crew couldn't get to me or I was the one on shore with a bag watching helplessly as my best friend was pinned without communication maybe ?   If both rescuer and victim have the same back up plan and gear everytime your outcome will improve a lot.

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 1:13pm
Great topic. I really wish there were more people bringing these topics to the forum. It would cut out a lot of the frivilous banter around here (usually mine )

Yeah, each scenario is case by case, but it all starts with both rescuer(s) and the boater who is pinned evaluating whether or not the pinned boater is stable.

#1: evaluate situation. If subject is stable, you probably have time to problem solve, think things through, and COMMUNICATE, rather than simply pull the trigger on a hastey option that is the wrong course of action.

Being alert always is a good thing and optimally positions you to help someone who is pinned. EYES IN THE BACK OF YOURHEAD WIDE OPEN as often as you can cultivate that habit, even on class III.
-I got stuck in a sticky little pourover at the end of Gettin Busy. I dug out, but in the meantime, Ben was downstream out of his boat, prepared for theworst case scenario of me swimming out of the hole and into the gnarly finish of the rapid. Can't tell yahowstoked I was to see him prepared if I failed to paddle my way out.
-after the gnar of Deception Creek was fading behind us, I got pinned midstream in a fairly inoccuous spot. Mighty D wasted no time wading out to me, so I never pulled my skirt.
-Nick and Ian both mobilized incredibly fast when I got pinned in the Junkyard rapid that used tp be called "Z-Turn" on Robe.

These experiences build confidence (or destroy confidence) in who you paddle with. If ever I had doubts regarding these individuals, those doubts have vanished (never had doubts about the Mighty D). The growth of these relationships is a pretty cool outcome of these "bad" experiences, not to mention the experience gained and the skills that blossom from them.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 1:24pm
Timeliness in a rescue situation is everything, so is staying calm so you can problem solve.

If you decide to pull your skirt, be sure you took the time to determine that your escape can be executed before the cockpit fills up and potentially fu*ks you.

As far as ropes go, I view them as a last resort to only be used when absolutely necessary. People go get swift water rescue training, and its good skills to know, but many people are too quick to deploy ropes when they are simply not needed. Every circumstance has its unique variables and some common variables. Quickly identifying each is key, since a rope can really bite you in the ass huge-- remember that "Fish On" (or should I say "Mikey On") scenario on the Green that time, Fluid? (Going into Lets Make A Deal at 3500 or whatever it was running). Not trying to focus on that specific case right now.

I have steered clear of all the various permutations of the throw bag in favor of the classic throw bag design, which I religiously carry between my legs so I can litterally leap from my boat with it in hand. Never trusted those square shaped ones design to fit in PFD pocket, but maybe they are fine. I have been curious about the belt style throw bag- plenty of boaters I respect swear by them. My concern has always been having that extra bulk around my waist. What are everyone's thoughts on that?

Edited by jP - 28 Aug 2013 at 1:26pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 3:18pm
I got pinned in the Oregon Slot on the Little White earlier this year pretty bad. Luckily I was the middle of a group of 3. I decided to hang out in the boat until I could get a bag in my hands from shore. Cockpit upstream, bow towards left bank, stern behind (horizontal pin - taco type) & the water was covering 90% of my skirt. It happened fast. I was using my paddle to keep my head above the water. The boat was essentially damming the slot and filling the pool upstream of me. Luckily I had an implosion bar, as I'm certain the skirt would have blown w/o one. I got my knees out from behind the thigh hooks immediately in case things got worse. Then worked a foot up onto the center pillar. Once I had a bag in hand I stood up w/o pulling my skirt while the fellas pulled me up. Skirt ended up staying on the boat. Not sure how things would have gone if I pulled, however my gut was the boat was gonna fold.
Yeah, pins are not fun, but they are a part of kayaking just like learning to roll, swimming or getting worked in a hole. Everybody's been pinned or going to get pinned.
The choices Chris is talking about, while pinned, are relevant. It's much better to think them through prior to the pin.
It's tough to know what to do given the situation, but through experience we can learn a lot. We all have our own fun moments, but we can glean a lot from listening to others - what they've done with or w/o success. Also, I've found readying reports, like Chris', or from AW website, Boatertalk, etc can be very helpful.
In the fire dept we're taught about RPDM (rapid prime decision making). Basically the premise is the more information, experiences +/-, prior thoughts and training that go into your processor prior to an event/situation the better the rapid prime decision will be.
Share your experiences, listen to others, be humble and be safe...
See you out there!

Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 4:14pm
I used to have the throw bag on my back, and switched to the chest pocket throw bag a few years ago. For kayaking I like the chest pocket because it is easier to get to in a hurry. For IKing or rafting I like the rear bag because it does not get in the way as I try pulling myself back in a boat. Different priorities for different boats.

Kyle
I smell bacon
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 12:28am

Edited by FLUID - 29 Aug 2013 at 1:07am
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 1:04am
I agree rope in the river is a bad idea and I've seen it go wrong more than once. However , the chef knife is dangerous and will cut you but happens to be the best tool in the kitchen for the job.. We're definetly talking about last ditch efforts here and I believe having a rope on your person , out side your spray skirt is key. Whether it be a pocket rope ,waist rope, 10' , 30' ... The point is in a pin or rescue that has potential to get really bad your giving your rescuers an attachment point to YOU which is 90 % of the battle on most rescues by clipping to your self and sending the bag down stream if you can. Most often the battle is - How do I get to and clip into this pinned victim with a big river or creek around me and them and not put myself in danger as well ? And if you combine having a light weight snag it plate in your throw bag you could pull off a rescue like this if both rescuer and victim had the same knowledge, training, gear. This is where Darren's idea which I like of RPDM takes in the training and group team dynamics The idea that the more we share, train together, experience, and standardize a basic philosophy the more predictable outcomes become given an unpradictable situation. its done in the ER and Fire all the time. It's kind of the 10,000 hour rule except you can't train for pins, well because they suck and they really don't happen often which is why most of our training for it is through stories and talking about what if's and other people's unfortunate mistakes.

As far as comfort I'm a huge minimalist and don't like added bulk however I think it's a no brainer that having a little rope on your person is handy in lots of ways. Maybe you swim and your ropes in your boat and you portage down river and you need a little rope to rap (10' not far but tall enough to get hurt) down a little walled out area to get back to river level where your boat eddied out? In the canyons we paddle this happens...

I'm not trying to sell a standard I'm just sharing my new thoughts on having a bag above your skirt on your person in conjunction with a snag plate rescue. It should be the last thing to deploy, however I do think it could save your life one day? And just because you don't run class V don't think that most pins are in class IV and low water class V. My worst pins to date were all low water mank. Not that it's not fun it's just interesting that the biggest rapids I've run with lots of water were in ways safer than trying to get down a class v creek at low water. I'm not advocating high water missions but I do believe a healthy padded medium is always the safest flow to run any river for most folks. Well within its river bed and filled in. Which is a whole nother topic on its own.

Edited by FLUID - 29 Aug 2013 at 1:14am
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 5:09am
Originally posted by FLUID

It's kind of the 10,000 hour rule except you can't train for pins, well because they suck and they really don't happen often

I am not sure if you were speaking tongue-and-cheek, but this statement is simply not true. It is possible to train for such incidents. Chris up at WaveTrek is literally a world-renowned whitewater rescue trainer and offers a whitewater specific resuce class. She teaches basic things like anchors and such for extraction (not straightforward if you are not a climber), but the part I found most useful was learning the different ways to stablize a "victim" using ropes. These include scenarios with multiple rescuers, one rescuer, one side of the river, rescuers on both sides of the river, etc. This also includes stuff like how to get a rope on someone when you can't reach them or they are unable to attach the rope to their tow line. This seems particularly useful in situations where extraction is difficult, but you can stabilize the boater first, then have more time to execute the extraction.

Chris will even teach you stuff like how to quickly and properly recoil a throw rope to re-throw THE FULL LENGTH without tangling. Seemingly trivial stuff, but as any coach will tell you, attention to detail sets the best teams apart.

Of course, I have forgotten a lot of the training, because as Totten and Darren mention, 16 hours isn't enough, it's something for which you must continually train. I would like to take this training every year. As if I can find core boaters willing to give up a weekend for rescue training....right. The class I took had a bunch of newbies and Silver Moon; I was by far the most experienced boater there (and that's not saying a lot, since at the time I wasn't that experienced and still remain pretty inexperience at rescue).

Sounds like I might be able to get Totten to sign up, though...

In general I agree with JP, non-rope extraction is better, but if someone is pinned and you can't reach them or you need a mechanical advantage to extract, then obviously a rope is necessary.

Also, Chris, I am glad you are okay, friend.
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 7:24am
Practice, practice, practice boys and girls.

Sorry to hear about the epic Chris. I'm stoked that it worked out for you though, with no loss of gear or worse.

This topic has been touched on before, but in a more round about way. Know who you're boating with. Have non verbal communication worked out beforehand.

I am not well versed in the various resuce scenarios that are out there to help us and I'm terrible at Z-drags, but I'm a sniper with a throwbag. I'm a firm believer in getting a bag on someone as fast as possible. Even if its not the perfect solution to the problem at hand, its a lifeline that can increase the confidence and focus in the person that needs assistance. My 2 cents.

I'll take that class with you Chipper.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 9:04am
Since everyone's on the topic and talking about the best logistics for throwbags, etc., what are peoples' thoughts about the best life jacket?  I know the Astral Green Jacket is supposed to be great, but some people want a side entry option.  Any thoughts on the Green vs others that you think are good or not so good?  Especially interested in ones that leave the option to keep a throwbag in the chest pocket.  Thanks.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 9:19am
Thanks boys !! All good points. And Dan your right Its all about who you boat with and having good people around. I used to teach rescue with Sam Drevo and well know Chris in index well and her reputation and she is really really really good at what she does . But all the people in the world with 100' of rope still takes time to set up these things in a rapidly shifting situation. Further more most " rescue courses " are taught in ideal conditions where you can get back up stream and your not all cliffed out. The point is valid. Think about the boof. You can train real time with your boof and feel results same with your bow draw and C- stroke you can train to have muscle memory kayaking but real pins are scary and they happen quick. I don't care how many boats you jump in and out of on land or the two feet of water pin on some rescue scenario on the sky. when the real one comes and your sinking knowing your about to go underwater your panic for a plan to unfold is urgent . I get all the rescue rope technique and think there valid mostly for recovery when its too late but they still take time and people to set up. Remember rescue is an evolving field and chipper your totally right taking a class and being aware is the key. You can train for boofing and you can train for how to use rope in different ways but I guess the real pins that are bad as you a kayaker are unrepeatable and otherwise you would have never been in that situation because you never wanted to be there in the first place. I can't tell you how many boats I've climbed into in the water pretending im pinned and drowning freezing my ass off waiting for students to figure out some way to reach me and stabilize me doesn't prepare you for what to do when it's a really fu*ked up pin and time is crucial and is real. These are all what if's but I stand by my statement . Why couldn't they get to the kern brother , or my buddy mike or the 100s of other people who have had hours and hours of river time and rescue training And couldnt get to there buddy. Because sometimes the conditions don't allow for perfect scenarios. Its not like learning math where you have a predicted answer every time rescue courses are about teaching skill with a whole lot of judgment which is hard to teach as well. Even the most advanced rescues courses are all high angle rope scenarios which are worthless unless your doing a body recovery. It's just reality .

To put it into perspective .. My dear friend mike Stano pinned and died on the green. He was pinned under two feet of water and know one could have gotten to him. Best case is he could have clipped a bag to himself and let it float out down stream for someone to grab however the water pressure it might have been possible to do. Even when search and rescue was there it took hours and hours of planning and setting up to get him out. I only bring this up because if mike would have deployed a bag even though it was to late someone might have been able to snag that rope and got it back up stream for a tug.

I think in general your right chipper I need another refresher and want to do more rescue stuff each year but I just realized rescue courses focus more on the rescue than .. Hey I'm pinned . fu*k !! How can I help them rescue me .. Think about it ?? this system is a lot quicker than getting ropes across the river or even one side of the river or one man rescue which is only possible in perfect situations and limited. in a really bad pin you might not even be able to get your rope clipped to yourself because of water pressure in my scenario but were just talking it out but rescue is mostly theory anyway ?? I agree you can train as a rescuer with throwing some rope but it still unfolds different every time and its hard to train to be a victim and that's my point here. I just think its fun to talk about because this is a form of rescue training just is going back and forth and thinking of ideas .. It's good . Keep it coming . And I love and trust the peeps I paddle with and know they would do everything possible for me but sometimes it's limited and realize as a pinned kayaker I can help in my own rescue by being prepared with the right tools and knowledge .

Edited by FLUID - 29 Aug 2013 at 1:52pm
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 10:45pm
i agree with pretty much every thing that's been said here. Extraction without rope is best, like when JP ran across that log and rescued Oliver at The Pinch. Some of us aren't that nimble, though, so it's good to have JP and Mike Nash, but ropes come in handy. Taking a cue from fire and rescue is good, they train many hours to hone in their skills just like we train to kayak. Taking rescue courses or practicing rescue is part of that training, and like Chris said, he has done many hours of such training. But that must accompany self-dependence, like having a rope accessible on our body, and experience. There is no substitute for going through it on the river.

Payette bitches!

Edited by chipmaney - 29 Aug 2013 at 10:45pm
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 2:58am
No I agree with Dan, and from Darren and am with the philosophy that getting a rope to someone as quick as possible for peace of mind and clipping in incase the pin gets worse...

Alright, good talk.. Now lets go boating !! Have fun on the NF this weekend boys !!

Edited by FLUID - 30 Aug 2013 at 3:33am
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version