Professor Paddle: new dagger mamba vs. old vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: new dagger mamba vs. old Post Reply Post New Topic
eddyover
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eddyover Replybullet Topic: new dagger mamba vs. old
    Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 5:48pm
Has anyone tried one or own one. I would like to hear feedback as to what they think of it. I just sold my burn and am in the market for a new boat.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 6:27pm
Paddled a medium down the sky once. Felt good, responsive and sporty. Was wanting a large though (primary boat was large villain at the time so big volume difference). I'm 165 but like more volume.

Own a nomad 8.5 now, will say this about dagger in general; the new outfitting is amazing. Never felt so in control and comfortable at the same time before. Seriously, worth it just for that.
"Full Face" Andy
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 6:58pm
I've owned the original Mamba 7.5 since 2006 and think it's a great river runner and an okay creeker.  (The boat was kind of sold as being able to do both.)

When Dagger updated the design of the Mamba line (in 2011?) they added a lot more volume to the stern and a little more to the bow.  This made it more of a creeker and less of a river runner, which isn't what I wanted when I was looking to replace my Mamba 7.5 after I busted my boat on Ingalls Creek.  (After that experience, I decided I needed a dedicated creeker with real volume, not 57 gallons!)

It's hard to find the original Mamba series anymore (as a used boat) since the people who have them, seem to like them.  It was interesting to me when Jackson came out with their river running Zen series.  To me, these boats have a lot of similarities with the original Mambas.  If you're looking for a true river runner, I would give the Zen a try.  If you're looking for something more like a creeker, the new Mamba series might be more to your liking.
Don't waste water!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
eddyover
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote eddyover Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 7:33pm
Thanks, that gives me more to think about. I only weigh 125lbs. so the old mamba might be OK. I've heard the new mamba is harder to roll. Is this true?
And I mostly like bigger volume rivers and do only easy creeks- no harder than 4.

Edited by eddyover - 29 Sep 2013 at 7:34pm
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 7:52am
I've been in the new Mamba 8.6 for a little over a year now and I love it. I would just demo one and decide for yourself. Everybody fits a little differently.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 4:41pm
I have the Mamba 7.6, I guess that was last years model!? Anyway I love it! Super responsive, turns sharp, and has great buoyancy compared to my last boat. I don't have the brand new outfitting, but I hear it's quite nice
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version