Professor Paddle: Rescue Footage vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Rescue Footage Post Reply Post New Topic
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Scott_H Replybullet Topic: Rescue Footage
    Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 4:19pm
Kayaker pinned followed by a quick rescue.  One take away for me was the rescuers quick access to the webbing used in the rescue.  At least one swiftwater class recommended keeping a long piece of webbing in your front pocket with 2-3 locking biners on it.

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 5:48pm
For those that creek, carrying a webbing sling with a beaner ON YOU is essential. I use mine all the time. Its perfect for setting anchors around trees or rocks for a mechanical advatage system, Lowering boats, or assisting in hiking out of a canyon. Its quicker to deploy than ropes, and as you can see in the video... the perfect quick setup for a manual extraction.

While we are on the subject ill also say this: If possible, keep your throw bag between your legs, easily accessable to remove. So often i see paddlers completely unprepared to help in a rescue due to gear being stuffed behind the seat, or not even having the proper gear at all. Seconds count, and your gear buried deep in your boat helps no one. Keep your pulley, beaners and prussics in your PFD, throw bag up front, and wear or carry your sling. If you paddle long enough on whitewater you will use all of these.

Here is a link and a website that Daan & Jess from NZ run. Daan is one of the best in the business at rescue scenarios, and has tons of good info if you want to learn and grow your skills set. check out the whole series, or go to page 13 for ideas.

http://dreamingofwhitewater.com/resources/Dreaming-of-Whitewater-Magazines/DW-Issue-Four/DWIssueFourLR.pdf

Edited by Fish - 04 Nov 2013 at 6:12pm
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 7:05am
This is what I have on me at all times:
Astral Lifejacket Throwbag
2 pulleys with 2 attached locking carabiners
2 prusiks (6mm, to match the diameter of my throwbag for effective friction during use)
1 webbing runner in lifejacket
1 webbing runner around waist with 2 locking carabiners
Tow tether with its own carabiner (making 5 total carabiners on me at all times)
Lighter w/firestarter
Clif Bar

In my boat I have:
Breakdown
75', 3/8" diameter throwbag (thin diameter throwbags are fine for getting people out of holes, but for un-pinning boats or any kind of rappelling they are not safe or nearly as useful)

With this setup I feel pretty prepared for anything. A swimmer, ascending out of a gorge, unpinning a boat, etc. etc. I have never understood why people keep their pin kits in their boat. You should have the vast majority of your rescue gear on you at all times. What if YOU pin, and you are the only one with gear?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Sam_Graftton
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Sam_Graftton Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 7:07am
Yeah Barny! Nice rescue
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 7:42am
Oh yeah, and a knife, and tool for boat hardware.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 9:53am
Good points Ellingferd.

I'd say the most important thing the guy did was being there in his boat actually watching the sh*t go down, followed by him paddling over to the bank and getting out promptly to take action.

Unfortunately most paddlers these days just keep bombing downstream and hardly even look behind them. Yup. MOST paddlers. You can carry all the gear you want till your boat is submerged it won't matter if you aren't close enough to the action to get there when the sh*t goes down.

But good points raised about keeping it on your person- very important.

Probably the best reason for gopro cams and yet an overlooked one is their value in sharing and learning from these incidents

Edited by jP - 10 Nov 2013 at 11:39pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
peteg
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote peteg Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 12:09pm
So much good about the vid but I have to agree strongly with Jp. The main rescuer was not only in position to get his boat to a point to provide help but was actively anticipating that something might go wrong and immediately knew where to go and how to get there. Thinking proactively about potential rescue situations and having a plan before something happens is so important.
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 12:14pm
Yeah, Barney was spot on here in this rescue. He reacted immediately, and was prepared to deal when $hit hit the fan. His reaction time likely saved that guys life.

Having the gear as JP said, is only half the battle. You have to have the self awareness and anticipation of situations to be able to react like that, and the abilty to use that gear. Knowing where the hazards are, and being in position to assist, whether setting safety, or just communicating with team members about hazards and how to deal with them.

When I was first learning to paddle the Little white Salmon years ago, I would always call Ryan Scott in the CRG. He was the safest paddler I had ever met. By this I mean he was ready, capable and anticipated problems before they ever happened. I saw paddlers pin and swim many times and Ryan was always out of his boat, rope in hand and managing the situation before most of us even knew what was happening. what stood out was that he always boated well under his ability level, understood where the main hazards were, sized up the group, and positioned himself to help just in case, ALWAYS. These are learned behaviors. Rescue class doesn't teach this, experience does.   

I feel lucky to paddle with guys like Ryan Scott, Chris Totten, Nick Hinds and others. These guys are clutch when $hit hits the fan, I trust them with my life, and know they are group aware when creeking. Do your paddling buddies have the gear and knowledge to help you?

Edited by Fish - 05 Nov 2013 at 12:15pm
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Fish

Yeah, Barney was spot on here in this rescue. He reacted immediately, and was prepared to deal when $hit hit the fan. His reaction time likely saved that guys life.

Having the gear as JP said, is only half the battle. You have to have the self awareness and anticipation of situations to be able to react like that, and the abilty to use that gear. Knowing where the hazards are, and being in position to assist, whether setting safety, or just communicating with team members about hazards and how to deal with them.

When I was first learning to paddle the Little white Salmon years ago, I would always call Ryan Scott in the CRG. He was the safest paddler I had ever met. By this I mean he was ready, capable and anticipated problems before they ever happened. I saw paddlers pin and swim many times and Ryan was always out of his boat, rope in hand and managing the situation before most of us even knew what was happening. what stood out was that he always boated well under his ability level, understood where the main hazards were, sized up the group, and positioned himself to help just in case, ALWAYS. These are learned behaviors. Rescue class doesn't teach this, experience does.   

I feel lucky to paddle with guys like Ryan Scott, Chris Totten, Nick Hinds and others. These guys are clutch when $hit hits the fan, I trust them with my life, and know they are group aware when creeking. Do your paddling buddies have the gear and knowledge to help you?

Can't add much to that, and I don't have anything like the same level of skill, knowledge, or experience - but from my vantage point all of the habits, tendencies, and skills that you mentioned are worth practicing and developing even on causal runs.

It'd be silly to demand the same level of vigilance and commitment from the folks you are paddling with on a play run, but I think it's worth trying to practice at least  a certain level of situational awareness, communication, spacing, etc.

If you don't do that, I think it's kind of  tough to suddenly turn on a whole different set of habits when you make the switch from play runs to creeking - particularly if you do mostly river runs and spend way less of your time on creeks. That works at the "crew" level too. If the folks you are hitting up play runs with are the folks you are hitting creeks with, it can be pretty tough to flip the switch and change the group dynamics when you find yourselves on more serious water.

Even if you never go creeking, there's plenty of stuff that can go wrong on a bread-and-butter class III-IV run, and most of us that have been paddling for a while have probably been on the scene for at least one of those situations.

Edited by JayB - 05 Nov 2013 at 7:27pm
-Jay
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version