Professor Paddle: For the R2 guys: Raft Crash Position vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: For the R2 guys: Raft Crash Position Post Reply Post New Topic
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Wiggins Replybullet Topic: For the R2 guys: Raft Crash Position
    Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 1:01pm
What is the proper landing position for a rafter when doing a bigger vertical drop like a large ledge or waterfall?

When I rafted Pilchuck Falls this weekend I scooted forward off the rear thwart into the center bay with my shins on the forward thwart. When vertical it would have looked like I was kneeling on the forward thwart. I did this to prevent my legs from sliding under the thwart, but on landing my weight slammed foward and it felt like I had just done the splits (which I am not flexible enough to do!).

This left me wondering whether I would have been better off doing it another way?

Kyle

Edited by Wiggins - 19 Nov 2013 at 1:24pm
I smell bacon
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 3:17pm
Being tall I've always been able to straddle the center thwart by kneeling with my left knee on the floor and left foot wedge behind the back thwart and my butt on the outside tube (sitting on the right side of the raft). That is the main bit that is keeping me wedged in the raft, the right foot is forward and either under the front thwart or my toes pushed against the thwart.

When you land your knee keeps you from sliding forward and your front foot when flat against the thwart provides the same effect. This position is made better by activly boofing the raft, it helps keep you pulled into the raft while it falls towards the pool. It also keeps the nose up so you don't plug the drop, there is no way around it plugging a raft in a verticle falls will always throw you into the front compartment.

The craft also changes things, a topped off AIRE, Sotar or similar will stay solid when you hit and not "taco". when a hyplon boat like an NRS, hyside, or other similar hits a big hole or vertical drop the boat will fold in center creating a large pocket between the thwarts and the floor making it easy to slide under. I've had this happen often when surfing a raft on the New river, next thing you know your knee deep in Hypolon. the way that AIRE fastens the thwarts in makes a difference too, they are laced to the floor to they want to stay flush with the floor, whereas other boats fasten the thwarts to the outer tube allowing the floor to separate easily.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 3:26pm
Thanks Jed. I will try that when I go do flip practice later this week.

Kyle
I smell bacon
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 3:35pm

Edited by Jed Hawkes - 19 Nov 2013 at 3:36pm
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 12:38am
fu*kin showboater

Edited by jP - 20 Nov 2013 at 12:38am
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 12:39am
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 1:15am
So, here is one of those rare instances in boating where I envy the Tall Guys. Because that is ergonimicly a solid stance Jed described and illustrated- perfect photo for this topic, huh? Damn you guys crushed it. Two good kayakers who also are great rafters = some solid results when it comes to boofing rafts.

As a smaller guy though, I tried that stance and it puts a lot of strain on my hips and knees. Not good for me. It spreads me out sitting like that. I either need to sit ahead of or behind that center thwart (I can slide a little so my torso is still mostly in the center). As a small guy I like being compact between two twarts.

I agree w/ jed that keeping the bow up is key boofing a raft or running the steeps. Otherwise, a verticle plug is gonna crash you most likely. So paddling in sync as a pair is vital before you plant and pull that final boof stroke. And thats all timing.
As far as keeping the bow up, obviously shifting your weight back some can help w/ that too. But as you can see in the photo Jed n Fish are centered on the boat, which is definitely more important racing, and you can see by how far they are/aren't leaning back that they are centered in their own equilibrium similar to when they are boofing in a kayak. Look how symetrical they are relative to each other. That raft looks like a kayak. That's a phat boof.

You can also do the "Hussum Falls Get Down" when you run drops that will throw you out or "bath tub" your boat and float/flush you out. Crouching/wedging yourself on the floor between the twarts. Is that what you were describing, Kyle?

While straps handles help in that situation, they can also contribute to a flip if you fling out of the raft and hold onto them, or if someone else does. Thats why one company on the white salmon does not use any straps or holds. Keeps a rafter who is falling out from dooming everyone else, and personally, if I get flung out I'd love a chance that the raft might flatten out in an upright position- its one less step if you dont have to right your craft before climbing in. But the issue of straps or not is a double edged sword. Double Drop on yhe Green Truss is an example of a rapid where having a strap to hold onto really helps stay in the boat. I learned that the hard way the first time. Held on the second time!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 4:51am
Yep. I was on my back with my legs tucked up towards me, and my shins against the front thwart.

Kyle
I smell bacon
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version