Professor Paddle: Zodiac inflatable boat vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Zodiac inflatable boat Post Reply Post New Topic
Swatsx
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Swatsx Replybullet Topic: Zodiac inflatable boat
    Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 11:58am
So I got a free zodiac acti v inflatable boat soft bottom.. Couple friends and I are thinking of going to pine river this summer for a lil day trip (class1 mostly and maybe a class2) so anyway we were wondering if we could use it for rafting, there is going to be three of us so plenty of room could my boat be used on some class 3s as well ? Thank you
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 12:29pm
Well this is definitely not a whitewater recommended boat for a few reasons.
1) it doesn't have thwarts to provide structural integrity to the boat. If you took out the bench you might be able to install and inflated thwart in it's place (the the cylindrical tubes that go between the outer donut).

2) the hull will have a "V" shape to it so it will be a little tricky to turn in whitewater. But if you stick to Class I-II you should be fine.

3) the hard surfaces. The transom and floor seem like they would be prone to beating you up pretty good if you were to get bounced around real hard, but that being said we strap steel frames to rafts all the time and deal with that. So maybe that's less of a concern.

3) I would stay out of class III in this raft for a variety of reasons:

A) the boat isn't designed for it and likely would be a challenging craft to maneuver in class III rapids with out prior guiding experience. There are plenty of trained guides out there that took the majority of a training class (six weekends) to lean how to drive a proper whitewater raft in control.

B) if your asking whether this is a proper boat for whitewater rafting it's safe to assume you have little to no whitewater training/experience. With that being said, class III brings a whole bunch of new elements beyond just pointing the boat downhill and paddling. This could include maneuvering of the boat, identifying hazards, identifying proper flow, or basic knowledge of river safety and much more.

Now I'm not trying to call you out and make you look a fool, I'm stoked that you took the time to do a little Scouting (that's a river terminology, feel free to add that to your lexicon) before just doing to typical gaper move and just put on with a case of beer, 2 paddles, 3 horsehoe PFD's, and four people. It show's that you require some of the basic preconditions to learning how to run rivers; self awareness and common sense.

I would say you and your buddies will probably be fine on some class I-II rivers, but in my opinion you would likely have more fun and get more knowledge if you took a guide training class in the spring. There are multiple options for this, they're typically run by the Commercial rafting companies around the state and can provide you with enough base knowledge to comfortably tackle class III whitewater. You and your buddies can sign up togeather and for six weekends in the spring your raft everyday, gain a ton of knowledge, see multiple rivers (if you pick the right company), and have a ton of fun.

Some thing to ruminate over during the remainder of the winter.

BUT, if you decide to Give'r here are a few things to remember:

1) stay away from log jams
2) Don't stand up in moving current
3) WEAR YOUR f**king PFD AND HELMET AT ALL TIMES OR I WILL FIND YOU!
4) if you can't see the bottom of the rapid get out of the river and take a look.
5) don't miss your take out.

Good luck and enjoy yourself, whitewater is the most fun you can have with your pants on.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Swatsx
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Swatsx Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 12:40pm
No we are all new to rafting pine river in mi is class 1 almost the whole river and a class 2 here or there we were thinking of doing this river as it's close to us and it's very curvy so we can learn how to turn maybe this year we will use my free raft and start saving for a real rapids boat this was just going to be use three guys some water and lunch but I joined this forum to learn so I don't end up dead lol thank you for your reply I will be on here a lot more to learn all I can
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 12:54pm
Pine river Mississippi? Ah, well then that's a ways away from here, you probably won't want to take a guide class in Washington then.

There is also a website for the South East United States called boatertalk.com, but they are more likely to do their best to make you feel like an idiot for even asking this question, so maybe remain an observer on that site before you pose a question like this.

Read Jeff Bennett's The complete Whitewater Rafter, leave in in the bathroom and make it your private time reading material. It's a pretty quality introduction to all things rafting.

Good luck.
978-273-7723
Swatsx
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Swatsx Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 3:08pm
No Michigan, but I'll look into that book thanks again
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 3:46pm
I've paddled the pine up there in Michigan , so id have to say you are fine with that boat for the trip. I wouldn't take it on anything bigger as people have stated before. Wear your PFDs, the Pine is swifter than you would expect.
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 5:18pm
Not sure exactly where the Pine is, but the MN, WI, MI, forum is www.rapidsriders.org. Not too many rafters around but there are a few.

Also, if you're serious about getting into whitewater, you'll want to pick up this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Northwoods-Whitewater-Paddlers-Minnesota-Wisconsin/dp/0917939034
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Swatsx

No Michigan

Now I feel like an idiot...
978-273-7723