Professor Paddle: Upper middle middle. Hardscrabble to burnboot vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Upper middle middle. Hardscrabble to burnboot Post Reply Post New Topic
mikenash
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mikenash Replybullet Topic: Upper middle middle. Hardscrabble to burnboot
    Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 10:10pm
Has anyone out there done this run? What's the road/access like
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 10:44pm
It could have washed out again, but I believe that the Taylor river bridge has been repaired...
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 7:30am
Did it years and years ago. Lots of effort for a very short piece of whitewater. We did it at the lowest possible levels too, so I am sure it would be much better if you went higher up in the flows.
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 9:32am
high effort. however some could be alleviates if you are willing to Huck a big one. cool piece of river though. been years for me though, so can't speak to access.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 3:12pm
Dingford to Hardscrabble is a long road walk. Essentially flat until the turnoff to Goldmyer, then uphill grade. The road is in great condition up to just before Hardscrabble trail since there are active mining claims in that area (crystals I believe). There are a few small rock slides over the road within a couple hundred yards of the Hardscrabble way trail cutoff.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 3:13pm
At least, as of september 2013
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:32pm
disregard my post. i was speaking about the,hotspring run. sorry about the confusion.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 12:49pm
I did some pretty extensive foot-scouting a couple of years ago when I had some downtime. I took a bunch of photos but never got around to posting them - I'll see if I can dig them up and add them to the river page.

-The river is absolutely beautiful up there - might be worth the drive just for the scenic factor. I can't remember how long the hike in is - maybe 1-2 miles, and the put-in is obvious - when you see a prolonged section of flatwater to your right on the hike in, you're there.

-The river has a more ledge-drop character. Easy IVish at low levels, potentially up to IV+ at higher flows.

-There looks to be a pretty substantial pin hazard at the base of "Lost Key" (It's ~4-6 foot, single ledge drop).

-The wood situation seems pretty dynamic. There was zero wood in the Dingford rapid when I went in to take a look, and there was tons of it clogging the drop when I went back ~2 weeks later to visit the hot springs.

-If you are heading that way, I think that the Taylor looks like it will deliver a better bang-for-the-buck (based on a foot-scout and running the bottom third of the run). Beautiful stretch of river with some nice boulder-garden rapids (at least 4 of them) and a fairly continuous gradient, with one ~10-foot sloping ledge drop at the end. Worth taking a look at if you are heading that far in.

-Bang for your buck wise, I think the Taylor River looks

-Jay
mikenash
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mikenash Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 8:53pm
Thanks for all the good info, going to get in there and check it out as soon as snow permits. Should have had a good clean out with the last flood. Bennett says that Roads End to Goldmeyer Hot Springs has got 2 big waterfalls in it, a 40 footer and a 50 footer.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 8:35am
Mike one other note since no one mentioned it. There is a gate not listed in the guide book at the bridge of Dingford Creek. You have to walk at that point which means that you have quite a hike to get to the hot springs and then more to reach the road end. The nice thing is that the hike/walk is all on a big wide gravel road which you used to be able to drive on. That I know of the caretaker and a few DNR guys are the only ones with keys to the gate.

Good luck, would love to see some beta after your trip.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 10:35am
Originally posted by mikenash

Thanks for all the good info, going to get in there and check it out as soon as snow permits. Should have had a good clean out with the last flood. Bennett says that Roads End to Goldmeyer Hot Springs has got 2 big waterfalls in it, a 40 footer and a 50 footer.

There is some big stuff way up there, and like James said, its a good deal of hiking now that many miles of the upper road has been closed.

Tao & friends ran that stuff back in the late 90s and it was featured on the original "Twitch" video.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 1:53pm
I figured you knew about the gate since it is not really all that new but no one mentioned it. Before that gate was there it was still a good amount of hiking. From the Gate at Dingford to the Goldmeyer Trail it is 5 miles then another 3 miles to hardscramble for a total of 7-8 miles.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version