Professor Paddle: River recommendations? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: River recommendations? Post Reply Post New Topic
barffvader
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote barffvader Replybullet Topic: River recommendations?
    Posted: 13 May 2014 at 1:22pm
I'm from Salt Lake City and I brought my play boat up on vacation. I also have a duckie to take a beginner friend. I'm looking for a nearby class II or III that I can comfortably run blind with a beginner in the duckie. I feel comfortable on III-IV's although I don't know how the ratings in the NW compare to Utah area ratings.

I've looked at the Snoqualmie below the falls. It looks awfully short though and not worth it.

I'm leaning toward the Middle Middle. http://www.professorpaddle.com/rivers/riverdetails.asp?riverid=599.

I'd like to boat Wednesday afternoon and Thursday afternoon. What would you recommend?

Paul
80144O5456

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2014 at 1:54pm
Lower green is my favorite for taking beginners out, a couple 3 minus rapids.  good surf waves. starting at paradise for a couple solid 3s isnt a great spot for a total newbee but can start below paradise and the gorge (0.25 mile down via trail) and go to flaming geyser

Paddling the snoqualmie below the falls is a great beginner run. short but can hike the main rapid and has a good surf wave at the right flows. paddling below the 200 ft waterfall is cool

lower skykomish from split rock to big eddy is another good beginner run with a couple class 3s in there but all pool drop.  can also paddle below boulder drop and keep it mostly class 3, with the exception of lunch hole, which you can walk or skirt if you know what to expect.

also i hear the south fork snoqualmie is a good beginner one

lower sauk too

the play run on wenatchee is a great spot for beginners with a duckie

lots of good class 2/3 around,  search the river list.

good luck,  also btw, rumor has it that middle middle access during the week is shut down.  middle middle can be a great beginner run around 2000 cfs.  any lower and swims equal banging rocks and higher equals bigger water.  house rocks and little house rocks start to become a longer rapid

Edited by not-very-clever - 13 May 2014 at 2:37pm
http://www.precisionmotions.wordpress.com
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2014 at 2:30pm
+1 for the Sauk. Lots of options there.

Putting in a Clear Creek and running to Sauk Prairie Rd gives you about a half dozen good III- rapids. This would be the last part of the Middle Sauk.

The Upper Sauk is also a great II-III run with scenery that rivals any river in the North Cascades.

For a longer trip, there is the Lower Suiattle(II-III) and the SF Stilliguamish(III) is not to far either.

I own Adventure Cascades, an outfitter based in Darrington on the Sauk, so I am bias to that area, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. I can be reached at 36o.393.68i5

Brian
"Call on God, but row away from the rocks." ~H.S. Thompson
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version