Professor Paddle: IK's vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: IK's Post Reply Post New Topic
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote megspk Replybullet Topic: IK's
    Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 8:40pm
I've got a friend looking to get a two person IK. What brands are best for lakes, oceans, flat river travel? Is there one more durable than another?

Thanks for the help!

“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Mike55
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Mike55 Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 12:08am
Check out sea eagle brand! They are awesome!
There is a distributer in burlington (see craigslist) if they want to check them out in person as well. Hit me up if you need more info.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 8:29am
I would go with an AIRE boat. Their twin bladder design makes them very durable and easy to repair. Not to mention all their top of the line boats have a 10 year warranty... they will fix just about anything that goes wrong with it and you just pay the shipping. Also, AIREs roll up very well, so they can be stowed in a car trunk easily.

For what they're looking to do, I would look at either the Super Lynx model, which has a V shaped hull and removable skeg (which you'd leave on for open water and remove for rivers). Also the Sea TIger model is an even more open-water oriented boat equipped with a rudder.

For a lower price point they also make  the Sawtooth model under their Tributary line, which is essentially a cheaper version of the Super Lynx.

They of course also have more river-oriented 2-person IKs but the models I mentioned are going to work better for the kind of use they're looking for.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 8:39am
Sea eagles are great because you can buy them all over at places like walmart and dicks. I won't bash them because they are cheap and fill a purpose in the market place. If I were going to lower the quality requirements to a sea eagle I would just save even more money and buy a sevylor tahiti, they are like $99 bucks for a two person.

Now the boats Joe is talking about are totally different and will last for much much longer, be more stable and basically do everything better in any situation. You just pay more. There is also the whole chinese vs american arguement but the cheaper models of even quality boat lines like Joe mentions are made in china.
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 7:00pm
I have a zoik..     done some paddling around the sound, occasional classII maybe III.. has a removable skeg. you can sometimes find deals on them.    

The zoik is durable... the sea eagle and seavalore I think are not that great... I had some rafts as a kid.
Aire.. everything I've seen, they are great... but then again, I'm not an ik person.. so i'm talking out of my but. However...? I got my zoike after it was used once in some promo think.. guaranteed to be in great condition. I think it was around 600. Pretty tuff and good. Here is someplace similar .. around 500.
http://gravityplay.com/product/zoik-alterego-tandem/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6deeBRCswoauquC8haUBEiQAdq5zh2UxYsnU3U7VissFhqccIrMtq_AP4HAams00LwDUhMIaAiFY8P8HAQ

Edited by thad2000 - 28 Jul 2014 at 7:08pm
why not!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version