Professor Paddle: Stepping up to Tumwater vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Stepping up to Tumwater Post Reply Post New Topic
otterend
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote otterend Replybullet Topic: Stepping up to Tumwater
    Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 2:55pm
As far as the Tumwater, I'm not the best for comparisons since I am a devoted river runner and play boater, but thoroughly a neophyte Creeker. I consider myself a solid class 3 boater who can run 4s consistently but I don't seek them out. Boulder Drop always accelerates my heart beat. My roll is pretty good.

I've only done the Peshastin once (@ 700 cfs). The Tumwater at 1200-1500 is like the Peshastin in that the Tumwater is steeper than a typical class 3 river and has rocks at this low level that define the lines through the channel, boofs, holes, and pourovers. It's technical, but at this level, not pushy and most of the features are not retentive, nor take a super effort to punch through.

The air and water are both warm in August, which is very nice and unique for WA boating.

I've been running from the dam through Chaos. (Many start up at The Wall, which is 4-4+, but not the way I feel comfortable to warm up.). Below the dam and aBove Chaos, I'd say it's class 3+/4- Run with the dam rapid followed by the Three Amigos. The run builds in an orderly progression.

Chaos is a 4, no question. A fun start featuring a 6' boof pourover into a cushy pile, then a series of small drops, all of which come quick and are spread across the channel. Then, there is a long (2-3 minute) winding runout of constant action with slightly less gradient than above, but lots of turns, speed, and boofs. Chaos is the longest rapid below the dam.

I scouted and skipped POW. It's a short steep set of moves though hole-infested waters with boulders and slides hosting the nastiness. I could see the left line clearly, and everyone ran it fine with precise strokes. But I could visualize consequences, so I passed the short feature and portaged easily, getting back in right below.

At 1300 cfs, I've run with 10+ people the last two weekends, roughly half the group were women. A great mix with smiles all around. There were several very skilled, experienced boaters in the group (some in playboats) who are patient, show the lines, wait while folks scout, and set safety below the tough ones (entrance to Chaos, POW, Exit). That inspires confidence to try something new and hard, reflecting that it's not going to get better than right now.

I'm conservative (chicken) and passed on POW and Exit. Kudos to those who ran both; a few personal first descents.

I ran in my Remix69 and Stomper80. Both handled well. The Stomper was easier and more forgiving. The Remix was faster and accelerated quickly, which are great features in a hungry river.

Chris
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
commander fun
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote commander fun Replybullet Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 3:16pm
Right on Chris. Tumwater was a real step up for me as well the past two weekends. I got five runs in each weekend and was able to work my way out of two holes on sat. (First time getting out of a hole without swimming). Each run I rolled 2-3 times which really boosted my confidence. Definitely helped having experienced boaters to follow. I have to say the wall is the hardest rapid I've ever run, and although I did fine in it, I felt like I wasn't going exactly where I wanted to go and had to brace hard multiple times. Pow looks like a step above all the other rapids, and I chose to walk it too. Good to see you out there, I feel like we've been progressing at about the same pace. Remember the triple swim on the tieton?   Best day of my life.

Edited by commander fun - 19 Aug 2014 at 3:17pm
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 5:09pm
Cool write-up! I'll just pass along something that I was recently told. Don't call yourself a chicken for not running something. Your sense of risk/reward is something worth listening to. I understand the self-deprecating humor as it's exactly what I was doing when someone told me the same thing. "I'm a chicken" vs "I don't feel confident I can run this the way I need to", are two different mindsets. Letting go of the first one feels really good!
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:09am
Thats great man. More importantly though, were you stoked?
Tumwater is the perfect place to learn all the skills you need to creek boat here in the PNW. It has everything but vertical. And it's so damn fun! Stoked for you buddy. Keep charging while the getting is good.
I still walk Exit and POW all the time, so don't worry about that.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:10am
Chris,

You did great last time we rant Tumwater together!!!

Don't feel like a chicken ever!!! It is always better to have the skills both physical and mental before you charge into a rapid. I have seen some terrible swims in POW so it is best to run Chaos until you hit every line, catch every eddy and then fire up POW. It will feel better to style it than flail through it.

Give me a call and lets do some laps, (fo2Five) fosexsex-atetree7ohhh
H2Ohta
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:59am
Originally posted by H2Ohta

Chris,

catch every eddy and then fire up POW. It will feel better to style it than flail through it.

A wise Man once told me that "even drift wood makes it to the bottom of a rapid". So work on the skills to run whitewater rather than survive it.

That being said, I feel like Tumwater get's sandbagged quite a bit and people get talked into running The Wall because they rolled up at the bottom of Boulder Drop a couple of times. The Most important skill you can develop while learning to run harder whitewater like the Tum or it's like is catching Eddy's. It's a skill that is oft ignored but is the basis of the harder skills like the boof. The timing you develop while catching eddies is the same timing you need for the boof stroke.

If your looking to step up to Tumwater and live in close proximity to the sky drainage there are two runs that are great for stepping up your skill set between Sultan and Index. The Sky and the Sultan. The Sky has a wide range of flows and tons of eddies, ferries, and technical moves to be made to develop those creeking skills. The Sultan has one high consequence class IV+ rapid that can be walked on the right and everything downstream is a skill building paradise. Lot's of water boofs, multiple eddies so ferry from one side of the river to the other, and tons of other fun stuff to work on your timing.

One other skill that often get's forgotten: the back ferry, the backwards eddy catch, and the backwards peel out. If your looking to paddle Class V you will NEED TO USE A BACK FERRY EVENTUALLY so practice it and get comfortable with it in class III. Sean Lee has a video of Ernie's where he rolls up and is pointing right towards a sieve full of wood, and without hesitation he sets his angle and takes a couple of back strokes and uses his back ferry to avoid the sieve. If you practice that skill enough when you need it you won't have to think about it, you'll just react to the situation. the back ferry is also a saving grace on FITWa if you get blown left above number three in the Fearsome Foursome.

I could go on. All I'm saying is that if your looking to step up to Tumwater there are better places than Tumwater to do that. If you're looking to step up to Robe, Tumwater is an excellent place to hone those skills.

Keep paddling and don't forget to practice those foundational skills. At these low flows Boulder Drop has more eddies and line than can be caught and run in one lap. Go out and run them all. Don't be afraid to get pushed by some of your friends who know what your capable of, but also listen to yourself and don't run something that you can visualize each move.

Have fun and see you on the River.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 12:39pm
Yep, what Jed said...

Catching eddies and controlling ones descent seems to be such an overlooked aspect to paddling right now. Everyone wants to stomp boofs because it looks cooler but catching eddies is the most important skill we can have on the river. If you can catch eddies, you can control your descent. If you use the proper stroke placement and technique as Jed said, you will basically teach yourself to boof.

Once you can catch most every eddy in a rapid, I guarantee that rapid will look very different to you than it did before....

Edited by H2Ohta - 21 Aug 2014 at 8:09am
H2Ohta
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 7:53am
I don't like to think of it as being a chicken, it's more like making an honest evaluation of your skills and mindset. My feeling has been that if I'm not calmly styling both the wall and chaos to not really even consider POW. POW may not be any harder than stuff in those other rapids, but the consequences of getting off line appear to be more significant to me. I don't have any opinion on exit, but I'm sure it's more of the same. Isn't part of the issue with exit that there is rebar and other nasty stuff in play at this lower level?

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version