Professor Paddle: Tieton gauge not updating? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Tieton gauge not updating? Post Reply Post New Topic
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Topic: Tieton gauge not updating?
    Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 3:20pm
Hey sys admins, first off thanks so much for all that you do. Since I'm guessing a bunch of us are watching the Tieton discharge, the value on he page seems stuck at 1470. Just wondering if that is something easy to fix, if not no biggie, thanks.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 8:18am
I'd say it's likely because it's a bureau of reclamation guage and I'm pretty sure they don't update in real time. but I couldn't say for certain.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 1:25pm
That page only updates once every 24 hours unlike USGS realtime gauges.

It is based on the
Tieton Rvr near Cnl Hdwks Value

Current value is 1500 which looks to be correct. Also remember this is from the previous day.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 2:27pm
Were hoping to run the Tieton on Sunday the 21rst, hopefully the water will be around 1,500 then. James, can you make that happen?
Nomad
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 4:29pm
Thanks, didn't know that.
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 5:23pm
You can call the Bureau of Reclamation, and the folks in charge of flow can tell you their plan for the next couple weeks.
Kiren
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Kiren Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 8:12am
Hey I'm headed over to the tieton tomorrow. anyone around to run it? 541 554 nine five two four. never run it before and would love to meet up with someone who has...
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 8:29am
where's hugo when you need him?  i guess i will have to step in then

the tieton sucks. take up an off season sport, go for a hike. fly a kite

the tieton is like no other river i have ever run.  it hardly deserves to be called a river. drainage ditch is more accurate.  i miss kayaking just as much as everyone else. but the tieton is not worth it.

years ago, i had heard of this tieton "river" via PP and there seemed to be a fair amount of interest in it. "its an end of the season release and its great because nothing else is running"

but it took a trip out there to see that this "interest" was nothing more than a man-made drainage ditch.  the banks of the river are 100% covered in bushes and wood. there are almost zero eddies to even make eddy turns or obtain, there is one trashy wave that has piss poor eddy service.  there is one actual rapid that is so short it doesnt even deserve recognition. you run a sh*tty dam, scraping your ass along the way.  the water is diarrhea brownish grey, probably has a bunch of agricultural run off in it.

the skykomish at 800 CFS is a much more worthy outing than going to this desperate commercial one last outing of the year to make some money on unsuspecting clients.

the tieton would be a terrible place to swim, it defines trashy. shallow in a lot of places, the banks are full of bushes and sh*t (did i mention that already?)

sorry hugo, had to jump on this, its just been to long that the hype around this manmade drainage ditch has got to come to an end. geezus

Edited by not-very-clever - 09 Sep 2014 at 8:36am
http://www.precisionmotions.wordpress.com
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 11:53am
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 12:50pm
sorry about that negative nancy rant

and to be honest, its not always about the whitewater that makes the experience: the people and the scenery, the party etc...
i think its worth noting that the quality is so far polar opposite then what normal PPers are used to, even if you boat class 2/3. which in that case, its worth noting again that its not a place that you would want to flip or swim.  it is shallow most of the time and we were running it around 2,000 cfs.  its just how the geology of this man made zone lends it self.  pricker bushes line the entire side with tons and tons of wood that isnt in play unless you are a swimmer in which case, there are not very many places to exit the river. no eddies, zero pools, just constant flowing water at a gradual gradient, as if it was man made.

http://www.precisionmotions.wordpress.com
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 1:07pm
hey NVC, you mind if I put this on your car the next time I am down in Rtown?

NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 5:28am
Has anyone ever run the American river which is sorta close to the Tieton?
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 11:02am
Hey NVC. Agree the Tieton is far from being a great option, but it's certainly better than nothing. It can be a total cluster with all the commercial trips, and the highway next to it. It helps if you go earlier in the morning, or after 5pm, so you avoid the hordes. As far as fun moves, there's a few scattered about, and you're making the most of what's there. Putting in below Hause Cr. and taking out just below Waffle helps, since that stretch has the most to offer. Definitely not the quality of the Sky or the MM, but something to do when nothing else is running.

Hey n8r78. The American is a good little run. Been on it a couple times in the past few years, including this year. Pretty continuous, with some slightly bigger drops thrown in at the top. If clean of wood (not bad this year), it's a lot of fun. Worth taking a peak for wood from the highway at a couple spots in the first steep mile. Once dialed, you could zip it down it pretty quick. It's going to be more fun for class 4 boaters looking for something different, than class 3 boaters. I'd say target 700 - 1000 on the gauge in the spring.

Edited by JD_G - 10 Sep 2014 at 11:02am
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 2:13pm
Thanks for the beta, I'd talked about going over there w/ a buddy but it didn't happen this spring. Sounds like a fun run and not too terribly far for us.
commander fun
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote commander fun Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 8:30pm
does anyone know when the last weekend for the tieton will be?  im trying to maximize the party potential.
otterend
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote otterend Replybullet Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 8:31am
Bureau of Reclamation report for Friday 9/12 says Flip Flop is about done and that release levels will begin to be reduced today. Levels should be very
good this weekend. I suspect there is at least 10 more days of decent flow.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version