Professor Paddle: Moving to Seattle vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Moving to Seattle Post Reply Post New Topic
IMEANSA
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote IMEANSA Replybullet Topic: Moving to Seattle
    Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 7:00am
What's going on guys,
So i finally got some movement today on a Job offer I've been waiting for and looks like i might be moving to Seattle within the month.

Just wanted to bounce some stuff off you guys.

So the job i think will be in everett.
But from what i have heard that isnt somewhere a 25 year old is exactly dying to live.

Dont need to be in the city proper (probably cant afford it) but would like to have easy-ish access to it. At the same time paddling is the big priority and would want to have easy access going north or south from what i understand.

When push comes to shove having access to green spaces (very active dog) and easy access to highways for paddling is definitely the higher priority.
Any suggestions as to which area's i should be looking into?

Oh and i'm a solid class 4 paddler occasionally poking my nose into the 5's. Would love to paddle with some of you guys soon!

Thanks!

(sorry for the rambler^, all jacked up right now!)

Varsity Swim Team
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:13am
No! on the contrary I would love to live in Everett!

If you're living near downtown Everett you are less than a half hour to the takeout for Robe Canyon, our staple run near Seattle. Maybe an hour up to the Skykomish (same as Seattle) and you're about an hour 45/ 2 hours(?) from Mecca, I mean Leavenworth.

Talk to John Dufey about living up there. I would in a heartbeat.

Welcome to the PNW!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IMEANSA
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote IMEANSA Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:51am
Thanks Daniel!
Good to hear. Obviously not commuting a long way will be a big plus so definitely going to check out everett harder.
Varsity Swim Team
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:59am
i would also live in the dirty-e if i worked there.
minimize your commute and live reasonably close to work. traffic in the PNW can suck, and dealing with it on a regular basis will chisel you down day by day

Everett gets a bad reputation cuz it has bad traffic at very predictable times of the day that every schmo has been stuck in at one time or another.  its wouldnt be bad if you actually lived there though.

it also gets a bad rep for the very large boeing industrial area and epic strip malls around them.  but downtown everett is quaint and hip enough though.
anywhere close to the sound is pretty nice. mukilteo and edmonds (stay close to the sound) are desirable places to live too.

the dirty-e has some good breweries these days and a food coop and climbing gym,  traders joes.   everett is under the radar hip spot to live. maybe thats going a little far.  how about: "it wouldnt be that bad"

and the sky is the year round go-to run

Edited by not-very-clever - 18 Sep 2014 at 10:01am
http://www.precisionmotions.wordpress.com
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
IMEANSA
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote IMEANSA Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 10:01am
So glad i asked you guys. Clearly been talking to schmo's.
Will let you guys know where i end up going then hopefully we can go hit the treats!
Varsity Swim Team
Nick
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote Nick Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 10:04am
Im opening up a room on 5 acres right off highway 2. 14617 Roosevelt Rd. Snohomish 98290. I have a few people interested and asking $550 before utilities. Keep me posted brotha.
Nick Baughman
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 11:44am
Yo Imeansa--

I've had my eye on Everett for some time.
Stay on the east side of I-5 if you are a whitewater kayaker. Stay west of I-5 if you were salt yakkin. Since we're obviously talkin whitewater goods here, I'd say stay as far east of I-5 as your commute will allow.

Snohomish would be cool, but I think downtown Everett or similar would be fine too. Snoho would be right on HWY 2, gateway to the Mighty Skykomish and all of its lovely tributaries. Keep driving on HWY 2 over the pass and you get to Leavenworth, as Dan pointed out, where you got several awesome options from may-july.

Now if you want to just cut to the class V heavy rotation, you'd want to target Lake Stevens for equidistant Quick Access to Everett or Robe Canyon. But if you are more into class IV at the moment, I'd break in easy to Washington's whitewater scene, as several transplants seem to be of the opinion that WA rates their whitewater on the stiff side. Some claim that there isn't much class IV here, or that what class IV that does exist tends to have a gnarly grit to it.

I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in that last statement about Wa's class IV, and not sure where you are coming from, but I had an adjustment period here myself. I guess it was getting to know the geology and the various styles of runs, and getting to understand the seasonal weather patterns here. I think there is plenty of class IV though. The key is following the weather (from October to about May). The weather that moves through here is super dynamic during the rainy season.

Gotta mention Pilchuck Creek (catch it IMMEDIATELY after it spikes, or as it spikes). And The Sauk is closer for you than for Seattle. Its got some cool stuff going on, and some upper tribs if you don't mind a blurry line between IV-V...

As far as Everett itself is concerned, it probably has enough going on for ya, as some of these guys have already pointed out. And Seattle isnt that far away. Everett is much much much more easy to escape on that river-bound trajectoey than Seattle. The only downside being you are further upstream of Seattle's Southbound Flow toward the waterfall strewn Paradise Northwest known as The Lewis Drainage and White Salmon/Little White Salmon. South has all the basalt creeks full of waterfalls, HWY 2 has the cornicopia of gushing water (more glacier carved river valleys = more boulder gardens and Big Water paddling)

Anyway, welcome to Paradise Northwest!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IMEANSA
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote IMEANSA Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 11:56am
JP.
Great reply man thanks for breaking it down.

Not really sure how id compare the southeast to the PNW as i haven't been up there yet but from what i can see its pretty consistent just with different difficulty factors.

Seems like more sticky holes up there while we have more nasty undercuts down here.

If anyone has a more experienced comparison i'd love to hear it.

Thanks for the welcome and cant wait to check it all out.
Varsity Swim Team
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 12:22pm
What runs are you used to?
I would say the main difference I experianced, boating in VA and NC, was the low volume in the rivers. There are also very few slides here. Most drops are short and vertical. I would say the SE (from my limited experiance) is all about rock contact and staying out of undercuts. Here, its all about keeping your nose up and not pulling your skirt! Ha.

You're gonna love it here man. There is a good reason most of the boaters here are transplants.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IMEANSA
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote IMEANSA Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 12:34pm
Tallulah, Chattooga, WFT, Tellico, Dicks, Frogtown, cheoah. Really started hitting the creeks this year.

Yeah... Low volume mostly, and lots of undercuts.

Varsity Swim Team
IMEANSA
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote IMEANSA Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 12:37pm
Been Jonesing for my first Green Narrows decent. On the "before i leave" bucket list for sure.

Varsity Swim Team
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 2:49pm
Everett or Snohomish would be great...the dirty E is bigger (thus more amenities; climbing gym, food coop, dank library, etc), but Rivertown is more hip with less bums, crackheads, tweakers etc then the dirty E (and about 15 minutes closer to everything up highway 2). I live in Rivertown (snohomish) and I can be in the gut of at several drainages within 30-45 minutes.
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 12:44pm
I'd vote for staying out of Everett proper - or at least doing some super in-depth recon and a comparing it to Snohomish and Mukilteo before you commit to a lease. Pay special attention to Jon's feedback.
-Jay
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 3:22pm
Everett is very hit and miss as far as housing. There are several great neighborhoods I would move into without any reservations. But a few blocks one way or the other and it's a different story.
Where are you working at specifically? If you get some housing leads, feel free to run them by me and I could give you my opinion.
Everett is a great location for kayaking, especially if you're working there. You might consider anything along HWY 2 between Everett and Monroe. The closer to Monroe the closer to boating, but further from work. Skykomish River will be your staple run and the tribs will serve you well once you want to step it up.

IMEANSA
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote IMEANSA Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 6:26am
Offer is coming next week. Looks like i'll be out there mid november. JACKED! Will be heading out in the next couple weeks to find a place to live. Any suggestions for south of everett and north of seattle?
Varsity Swim Team
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version