Professor Paddle: Reminder: Sky/boulder drop races Sat. 10 am vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Reminder: Sky/boulder drop races Sat. 10 am Post Reply Post New Topic
mikenash
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mikenash Replybullet Topic: Reminder: Sky/boulder drop races Sat. 10 am
    Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 10:07pm
Check this out, all types of craft and ability welcome. Meet 10 am at Cable Drop, race or cruise down to Boulder Drop, then have races in different categories (depending on numbers/types of participants) down Boulder Drop. Fun for all and lots of fun to watch.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1494289394165057/

Or search FB for Skykomish River Race.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
mikenash
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mikenash Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 12:20pm
We will organise the races something like this.

Divide up into catagoreys; ie Long boat, creek boat, IKs, Rafts etc. men class 5, Men class 4, Women.

Should be no more than 12 per category.
Small numbers 4 or less have mass start with obvious placings first, second, third etc.

6 people. Race 2 at a time. the 3 winners race off for first second and third

8 people . race 2 at a time. the 4 winners race off 2 at a time. those 2 race for first and second.

Odd numbers or more than 8. heats to be run 3 and 2 at a time, winners go forward. You get the picture.

In every Category if someone who is eliminated wants to challenge the winner they can but they have to carry the winners boat up to the start.

I suggest we have a few whiteboards. Racers will use their initials to identify themselves. Race order/rivals determined by alphabetical order of initials.

I will place a white strip of canvas at the finish line. Finish line to be perpendicular to this canvas. a non boater or eliminated boater to judge close finishes, swap out so it doesn't get boring. Winner to hike back to the start ASAP and circle initials on board in red so semi/final can be drawn up.

Has anyone got a white board we can use ? let me know. 3 or 4 would be good. Drop it at the boulder drop start beach on the way up to cable drop. Ill get some markers.
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 1:59pm
Is there a cost to participate?
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

jerryclayross
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jerryclayross Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 2:05pm
Hey there. can't make it up there-got a beginner class on the snoqualmie:(

but I do have a couple of white boards you guys are welcome to borrow. if anyone is heading up there from Tacoma just let me know and you can come get the white boards from me before ya leave.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 3:58pm
No cost, other than any beverages you choose to bring and the usual possible ER bills. ;)

Clay, thanks for the offer, if anyone is bringing boards up please just give us a shout so we know they are coming - thanks!!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 6:30pm
I'm going to try and show up. I'd go through tacoma but I have to borrow a paddle first and haven't heard back. Pm me your number for the white boards and I'll message tonight if I hear back.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 6:51pm
Mike says he has a paddle you can borrow tomorrow, it's an old AT. Please bring white board markers too if they are available.

Just a heads up to everyone, there will be probably a lot of people around Boulder Drop, the Wildwater race heats or something are going on too starting just below BD so if possible it's probably best to park elsewhere and carpool to Boulder Drop.

Mike says paddler's best bet is to park at Cable Drop and paddle down to BD for races, then continue on to Split Rock to take out.

Also there is a pass required for Cable Drop, I think the NW Forest Pass? Or park at the confluence, no pass required.

Anyone not wanting to race BD but who would like to run it, there will be plenty of safety so maybe a good day for a first go, also it is a pretty easy portage and the rest of the run is Class III.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
akayakermike
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote akayakermike Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 11:36pm
I am driving out from West Seattle, I am hoping to find people to do Robe with in the afternoon unless it spikes to hard. Anyone want to save gas money? 907-687-3060.

Michael
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
mikenash
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mikenash Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 7:09am
Thanks to all that came out to the races, it was a fun day and a great turn-out.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version