Professor Paddle: Best app for river levels? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Best app for river levels? Post Reply Post New Topic
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Topic: Best app for river levels?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 10:19pm
Curious what people are using for this. RiverFlows is okay, not great. Now that water is back, like to hear from the gang on what has worked for them, thanks.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 5:10pm
So, I've found that the most instantaneous, simplest most effective way to retrieve guage information is, hands down, the 41411 text service "level sky", ect.

Yeah its not an app, but it is way more adept technology when you are out truck packing through the Cascades with spotty or next to no service. Those texts can wiggle in to where you are when no sort of internet connection is avail. The downside is you aren't vieing a whole list like say, here on PP or on AW. You are requesting individual guage stats. But you can program up to 3 "favs", which I find tells me much about what the whole region is doing, so long as I have my pefered 3 guages plugged in accordingly.

After the 41411 text (Godsend for River Runners), I most often simply load a few of the NOAA forecast graphs that I have book marked. Again I tend to look at a few "Indicator Guages" which allow my mind to guestimate the rest. Any other specific hydrograph is easily found. These individual hydrographs load quickly even with spotty internet connections, usually.

A quick glance at PP's rivers page lists all the guages color coded.

So in a way I don't see a need for an app. I guess since every digital interaction I make anymore, everyone and everything seems hell bent on shoving another App down my throat. It makes me wonder...seems awful cluttered up. Consequently I tend to not want more apps.

On the other hand, an App that could aggregate drainage specific weather forecasts w/ Langley Radar, and hydrographs in one format could have a lot of potential. Something like that might make sense in an app form because juggling weather data can be cumbersome, navigating various websites and pages. It would be nice to have a one stop shop for the whitewater boater wanting up to date, detailed weather data alongside river guages and hydrographs.

Something like that must already exist or otherwise be a work in progress.

Edited by jP - 17 Oct 2014 at 5:11pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Elijah
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Elijah Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 8:02pm
Mainly I use 41411.

I know the Following are not apps but I use them a lot for geeking out on future flows.

I use the Noaa precip observations page a fair bit to see where rain has fallen and how much over the region.
choose precip in the data display box and choose your time window.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/gmap.php?map=sew

Also check out Cliff Mass's blog for insight on the weather that affects our paddling.
http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/

Please rain.

lastly NWRFC has tons on local hydrology.
http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/rfc/
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 8:15pm
Thanks Jp and Elijah, this is super helpful. You are right- on any given day I'm pretty much only interested in a few runs, don't need all of North America. Suggestions appreciated, thanks.
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 5:36pm
Waterwatch WA.

That and ditto jP for bookmarking the graphs you most regularly go to.

Get it from the source, and whenever checking second or third hand parties: ALWAYS CHECK THE DATE the information was given. pp is useful for levels, but I've heard so many people quote out of date levels it makes me laugh.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version