Professor Paddle: Lost go pro at sky race vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Lost go pro at sky race Post Reply Post New Topic
cchollnd
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cchollnd Replybullet Topic: Lost go pro at sky race
    Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 8:13pm
Anyone see a go pro floating around after the race on the sky this past Saturday? Borrowed it from a friend then had it pop off somewhere in boulder drop. I'm sure it's at the bottom but figured I'd give it a try.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 11:32pm
No sign of it. I heard no mention of it, not surprisingly. Because if you lost it there is only ONE.... Uh...persona that saw it:

The river itself.

Its gone dude. Granted, it was a beautifully large sky mob (enter that one into your localized lexicon because the Sky Mob is a real social phoenomenon and it is here to stay so embrace it w/ love- its not everyday you get to hit up world class class III-IV with such an informally assembled array of talented and ecclectic quality PPeeps...) sh*t...

Yup. Gopro is gone, bro. I will be glad tho if I am wrong. But, since I am always right (like any whitewater self proclaimed "expert" would have you believe), AND more germane: since it was lost to begin with, the most vital discussion at this juncture would be that of exactly when and how your fatefull gopro has come to be lost, er-uh... Seperated from your person.

For example, describe the conditions that best describe your particular Tele Tubby Configuration:

Are we talkin Helmet mount or stern mount? Probably helmet mount- I didn't see any stern antennae out there.

Next:
Did you have a tether? Awe, man you straight up GOTS to have a tether. Otherwise its just "ameture fools with professional tools", brah.

If you had a tether: ok, this would be the second incident I've heard of where the plastic eyes that the mounting bolts thread to snapped off. If this is the case, GoPro is Lame because no sh*t this is a serious design flaw and I can't fu*kIN BELIEVE THEY CAN'T BE SMART ENOUGH TO CAST A lanyard ring INTO THE CLEAR PLASTIC HOUSING. Seriously that would be included in one of my very first sketches of the gopro housing if I were to invent it. fu*k YOU GOPRO YOU SUCK. HAHA that only felt good cuz its true. Why am I typing this? Because its true. They haven't included a lanyard attachment to the housing. Lame

I use gorrilla thread. Its small, thin and strong. But since there is no way to attach a lanyard to the housing, I wrap it around where the housing attaches to the mounting piece w/ the tabs. So far its worked and stayed on my helmet but then again I only hit my head once every ten years or so. Better to stay upright and not ever capsize (unless you are playboat'n). It survived my stern mount pole when I capsized and had to bust out a combat roll, but I don't have any more faith in it as a result.

What happened? Where/ how did you lose it? Did you capsize and hit your head somewhere (the sky was pretty deep on saturday at 4500-5000 cfs) or did you set it down because someone Dabbed your synapses? (Not that I observed such wayward activity. My safety kit operates entirely on old school technology. You kids have made injesting THC way too scientific...)

I have now sufficiently digressed enough to conclude this post in a satisfactory manner. But before I do allow me to say that I really enjoyed seeing the PPeeps who turned out for Kiwi Mike's event. And Mike, thanks for organizing it! Even tho I didnt participate.

It ended up being a great springboard for a faction of us who ran CC Stilly the next day. Anyone want some kind of TR or beta? I'd call it "Squeaky Clean" as far as wood goes, considering we are in Wa. There was a nuciance of a stick that Brad X tried to yank out of play, but a few of our crew just mowed it over like fresh grass on a suburban lawn grown by copious water from some shackled and enslaved source. fu*k YOU MIRACLE GROW, I LIVE IN WASHINGTON.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 12:13am
Sorry. I seem to be afflicted by one of those late night moods that may have made me (in)famous, 'round these partz.

In seriousness It would suck to lose such an inve$tment, not to mention those 21st century kinesthetic kodak moments, doomed to the clutches of Davey Jones himself.

"Aarr, if there be a Davey Jones of whitewater, laddie- he be found in the oceanic depths of the Skykomish"

sh*t. Or in the Meatlocker. Or Wall Of Voodoo for that matter, or even Rodeo Hole... Coal Car...A few locations that come to mind where gopros have succumbed to the locker of Davey Jones.

GoPros need an eyelet molded into the clear housing just like Pelican cases, VHF radios, and just about any other marine grade object has so you can tether that sh*t to yo vessel and not have to worry about it. So obvious.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
cchollnd
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote cchollnd Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:39am
Wow that was one hell of a response!  Ok, so you asked for the facts...

The Gopro abandoned me during me embarrassing swim at house rocks.  No helmet or stern mount for this amateur, it was strapped to my chest.  Being a Gopro virgin (my buddy let me borrow it) I was also not using a leash.  So I was basically asking for it...  I believe it popped off when I was crawling onto the stern of the rescue boat like a beached whale.  I really don't blame it for leaving.

However, the event was awesome.  I didn't race, but really enjoyed meeting all you guys and am looking forward to paddling in the future.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:53am
Matt lost his go pro on the cooper. It was tethered, but he wacked his head and the plastic casing broke clean off. My go pro
doesn't always fit well into it's attachment point. Make sure it's "clicked" in. A fellow boater on sunday had his fall off by just being upside down. Luckily he had the float attached to it and we noticed right away!
so in my opinion a tether and a floaty are key to recovering a dislodged go pro!
JP, as always, great post :)
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 10:24am
Haha- I am getting wacky because of this....
http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/gwir_00.gif

Yeah, maybe the orange floaty is the way to go- I had thought of making my own w/ mini cel, but...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 10:27am
sh*t, don't actually click on that link though cuz its just gonna echo reload this page. (Just like the last 20 attempts of embedding a link) copy the link and paste it to see the Astronaught's view...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version