Professor Paddle: Praise for "The Sand Tower"!! (Book Review) vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Praise for "The Sand Tower"!! (Book Review) Post Reply Post New Topic
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Topic: Praise for "The Sand Tower"!! (Book Review)
    Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 3:41pm
"The Sand Tower" is a Sci-fi Fantasy Thriller by Phil Coleman. So why would a book review of a Sci-Fi story be posted in the whitewater forum?

The answer is simple. This story's main characters are whitewater kayakers, and throughout the narrative, plenty of the story occurs in that context. The author himself is also an avid whitewater kayaker, to say the least. It would be fair to state that Phil Coleman is actually about as Original Gansta as almost anyone you can think of in Whitewater History, whether you've heard of him or not.

Not sure how this book evaded my radar for the year or so that its been out, but I got a copy and found that I simply could not set it down. It is a real page turner, and Coleman does a really good job of pulling you along on a fast paced story full of twists and turns not unlike the whitewater we run. The writing is stripped down, lean, mean, and at times raw.

I don't want to give much away about the story, except to say that there is a Mysterious Kayak that plays a central role, and many time periods and geographic locations are interwoven into the plot. Other elements, such as a classic battle of Good vs. Evil naturally drive the story, supported by a surprising array of rich historical details.

I think it resonates w/ me because of the inevitible path we are on at this point in our human history on this wonderful planet. The effects of so called "Progress", the Evil of greed and the corruption of power... Not to mention the intimate portrayal of our sport and the lifestyles it has shaped.

Here is a link to more reviews
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/130090108X/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/181-8192795-1921958

It would make a good Christmas gift for your paddling buddy(s).

As with any Sci-Fi or Fantasy story, one has to be willing to suspend their own disbelief in order to put their own imagination into the tale. In an era where we are almost litterally "drowning" in stories and media, this novel is as unique as it is skillfully crafted.

Check it out.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Fun Eli
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fun Eli Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 7:32pm
On the subject of whitewater kayakers that also happen to be authors writing novels about kayaking, I must thoroughly recommend my buddy Leland's book Precipice:

http://www.amazon.com/PRECIPICE-Leland-Davis/dp/0982737939

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 8:51pm
More suggestions....I'm hurt right now. 
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 12:38pm
Podcast : in between swims.. (especially the one called the great white explorer.)
why not!
otterend
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote otterend Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 1:13pm
The Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko (2013). Story of the Fastest Run of the Colorado River Through the Grand Canyon.

River, dams, weather, environmental policy and politics, history of running the Colorado, and some bad ass boat handling in huge water as the Glen Canyon Dam neared a catastrophic breach.

Chris
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 4:56pm
JP,

I want to read the sci-fi story you outlined to me a couple years ago involving the drones and horse/cart powered shuttle rides in a low energy future.

Start typing like Angela Lansbury in Murder She Wrote!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_rRXazw-Pg

Edited by septimus prime - 14 Dec 2014 at 4:57pm
Jon Shell Bee
HINDS
Paddler
Paddler

Quote HINDS Replybullet Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 8:06am
I highly recommend Brothers on the Bashkaus , not sure I am spelling it right by Eugene Buchanan. It is a surreal but real trip down a river in Siberia following the fall of USSR when the first americans took a trip with some latvians to the gnar. Super amazing tale. And a fantastic read!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version