Professor Paddle: Grand Canyon Repair Kit vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Grand Canyon Repair Kit Post Reply Post New Topic
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Topic: Grand Canyon Repair Kit
    Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 4:35pm
Hi all, I'll be rowing the grand canyon in March for 21 days and am looking for a little advice from seasoned grand canyon/ multiday river runners.

I'm curious what items people bring in their repair/ tool kit in the ditch. I already have a pretty good list of things going but I'd like to hear what else people think are must have's for their fix it kit.

Thanks.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Fun Eli
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fun Eli Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 11:49pm
I am assuming you already have a repair kit for yourself... aka first aid kit, so I won't address that, but please see the thread from a couple months ago.
http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14182&EN=TU

As far as repair kit, it mostly depends on what you are bringing that might need repairing. Raft, kayak, or both? For a raft, you need a patch, glue, and a solvent to clean the area. NRS sells all of these, but they are specific to the raft material, so make sure you know what your raft is made of. You might also want to bring a valve-repair kit, as a leaky valve can be a serious PITA.

You should also have a sewing awl, which is good for fixing just about anything you can poke a hole though, such as sprayskirts, rafts, tents, river shoes, or even that hole in your underwear.
http://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitcher-T200-Sewing-Awl/dp/B000HGIJQ4

3mm accessory cord is just about the most useful thing you can bring, so bring lots of it. It's small enough to be compact and light weight, but quite strong, and pretty cheap. For a grand canyon trip, I would recommend at least 100', which you can probably find cheaper by the spool online. If something breaks, you can probably bind or tie it together with 3mm accessory cord. It's also great for setting up tents/tarps.

Next thing I would recommend would be tape. Duck tape is better for some things, gorilla tape better for others, so bring plenty of both. If you can't fix it with accessory cord, you can probably fix it with tape. You won't be hitting too many rocks in the Grand Canyon, but for a rockier river, I would recommend a good tape for kayak repair such as Vinyl-mastic, flexible window flashing, or some other industrial adhesive backed construction material. They are heavy, bulky, and expensive, but once it sticks, it's water tight for the rest of the trip (tape goes on the inside of the boat, but you can stick it on the outside too).

I would also recommend a few types of glue. Aquaseal is the most important in that it can repair your drysuit. Aquaseal also makes a UV-cure glue that is quite useful for fast repairs on a sunny day. Cyanoacrylate (AKA Super-glue / Krazy glue / whatever off brand you can get at the dollar store) is cheap, light and sometimes it's exactly what you need, so throw in several tubes (just make sure it's fairly new because it does go bad with age). I would also throw in a tube of 5-minute epoxy and some fiberglass cloth, which you can find at the hardware store, the autoparts store, or on the interwebs. Fiberglass/epoxy work in the field is rarely pretty, but it will fix that paddle, oar, or whatever enough to get you down the river.

The last things you are going to need are tools. A multi-tool will satisfy most of your needs, but you should have at least two in case you need both at the same time, or in case one breaks or gets lost. You should have at least: pliers, knife, scissors, flat-head screwdriver, phillips-head screwdriver, saw, and file.

Oh, and bring lots of tea-candles. Great for starting a fire with not-entirely-dry wood.

That's about it. You could bring everything under the sun, but when it comes down to it, there's not much you can't repair with string (thread and 3mm cord), tape, glue, a multi-tool, and a little creativity.

Have a nice trip,
Eli
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 10:50am
the Awl was not on my list and I can certainly see the need for one. I'll add it to the growing list of items.

I will be rowing and I don't believe that anyone will be Kayaking, so most of my repair needs fall into the camp and raft repair category.

Keep the good ideas coming.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 11:39am
Never done the Grand so I might be disqualified but I started packing two types of JB weld with me in my repair kit too. Mainly for the non-inflatable parts that can break. IE Oarshafts, frame cracks, cooler crack, broken ammo cans, tent poles etc.. It can do quite a bit for temporary repairs and since it is so small it was an easy choice and cheap.

I pack quicksetting steel weld and the water weld.
http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-kwikweld-3/
http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-waterweld/

It actually was a result of Rowing my Driftboat through the Green River Gorge last year and I cracked an oarshaft and had by random chance left a little tube of the stuff in my hatch from when I was repairing part of the trailers lights. Worked so well it became a standard in my kit.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by James

Never done the Grand so I might be disqualified but I started packing two types of JB weld with me in my repair kit too. Mainly for the non-inflatable parts that can break. IE Oarshafts, frame cracks, cooler crack, broken ammo cans, tent poles etc.. It can do quite a bit for temporary repairs and since it is so small it was an easy choice and cheap.

I pack quicksetting steel weld and the water weld.
http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-kwikweld-3/
http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-waterweld/

It actually was a result of Rowing my Driftboat through the Green River Gorge last year and I cracked an oarshaft and had by random chance left a little tube of the stuff in my hatch from when I was repairing part of the trailers lights. Worked so well it became a standard in my kit.

What kind of communist rows a drift boat through the GR gorge? That should be illegal.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 2:55pm
If it is illegal I don't want to know about it comrade!

But to answer your question, the type of communist that wants to slay chrome!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version