Professor Paddle: dam on the chehalis vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: dam on the chehalis Post Reply Post New Topic
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Topic: dam on the chehalis
    Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 8:51am
This project seems to be gaining traction from residents and businesses. Read that as wal mart,a car dealership and some rich people who bought land in boistfort for low low prices and want to see their property values soar. The town of chehalis is largely on board as well because of flood related costs. This is what happens when you let wal mart and others pave the flood plain. Also many residents feel a lake would be awesome. I couldn't disagree more. Flood plains are not an appropriate place for what is built in them. I say screw wal mart and the idiots that let them build there

I don't need to preach to paddlers about what this means. However the chehalis basin hosts likely the most in tact and healthy coho run on the west coast excluding Alaska. It's so healthy that harvest is allowed. The tribes oppose the dam for this reason. The dam would be a death nail for anadramous fish and whitewater. Yes the mighty weyco has gated access to much of the goods, yet I'd rather have the goods gated than a jet ski slack jaw bass lake. Because it would not be a lake, it's a reservoir. Which is also a term for dead or ruined river corridor.

Dam removal is at the forefront these days. However many of these dams are decommissioned as they are not needed for power or much else. This is a flood control project with a conservative voting public in residence of the area.   I have many friends in the area and the common consensus is that the dam is good. The Nooch is another dam built for the same reasons with the same results as I've described. I've educated those who will listen but it is an uphill battle for many. I'm not exactly certain what can be done or the most effective course of action. I'm hoping Mr. O'Keefe and others will see this message and use their experience to mobilize an effective campaign of fighting this stupidity. I've grown up in the chehalis basin and have returned to it, it would be heart breaking to see it shackled so walk mart, a car dealership, and some poorly placed pieces of property don't flood. After all, is the flood not what makes farming a cinch in the chehalis valley?

Edited by SOPBOATER - 27 Jan 2015 at 8:53am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 7:34pm
Screw farmers. The food in walmart comes from China, why even grow crops in the USA anymore?

I think you need to adopt a stronger consumer view SOP.

all BS aside I agree 100% with what you post. I would however hate to loose quality videos such as these.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 5:40pm
Thank you James. Your video only helps illustrate my point that until bowel control is mastered perhaps the people of wal mart are not ready for dam control.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 8:20am
video is private..?
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version