Professor Paddle: Index-Galena Road Repair: Take Action! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Index-Galena Road Repair: Take Action! Post Reply Post New Topic
tams
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tams Replybullet Topic: Index-Galena Road Repair: Take Action!
    Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 11:06am
I received word that the decision to repair the Index-Galena road is set to be made soon and officials are waning due to the lack of noise on the issue. See below.

Repairs to this road would open access back up to the North Fork of the Sky instead of having to go up and over Jacks Pass.

Please get loud and write letters to the following officials:

Jeffrey Paniati
FHWA Executive Director,
Southeast Federal Center Building
1200 New Jersey Ave SE
Washington, DC 20590-9898
(202)366-2242     

Lynn Peterson
Sec of Transportation
WSDOT
310 Maple Park Ave SE
PO Box 47300
Olympia WA 98501-1284

Dan Mathis
FHWA Division Admin,
711 South Capital Way #501
Olympia WA 98501-1284
(360)753-9480/753-9889     

Annique Bennett
Strategic Tourism Coordinator.
Snohomish County Office of Economic Development
Annique.Bennett@Snoco.org
(425)740-4309

Original email:
"We’ve been advised if we want to see the Index-Galena Road repaired and reopened that we need to tell the government that. We’ve been quietly waiting for the promised 2015 date to arrive. Apparently since we haven’t been really vocal they think we don’t care. This is the access to the Wild Sky and is very important to getting people into the USFS. It’s also blocked off access to several camping/hiking areas that are very big draws for people visiting the Sky Valley."

Thanks,
Tammy
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 1:48pm
Funny you bring this up Tammy! I just drove up there today and ran into a SnohoCounty Driver who knew nothing about plans to fix road. He suggested I call, which I did, and they referred me to this website link, which indicates repairs start in 2016(?).
Anyrate, I think you're right that if we want this road open it will be good to reach out. I called Forest service station in Skykomish. They said they have nothing more to do with road work (there stuff is fixed) but that 'short stretch' mm5.4-5.9 is County. So it seems it's all on County to finish.

http://snohomishcountywa.gov/624/Index-Galena-Rd---MP-64-69-Index-TBD

Thanks Tammy for bringing this up...

Edited by huckin harms - 16 Mar 2015 at 1:50pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 5:32pm
Found this regarding the timeline:

"Mid 2015 to early 2016
Finalize design. Advertise for construction contrac- tor after final regulatory permits and funding have been approved"

Also found this and I'm guessing they will do this repair after the washout is complete.

http://wa-snohomishcounty.civicplus.com/2599/Index-Galena-Rd-Br-496---Index

Could be another few years before we can drive straight to Drumbeater again. I emailed and left a voice mail asking for a contact and will post that info here when I get it. Make some noise!!
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 7:01am
I going to bump this back up and request that if you have interest or share hope in this road opening that you take some time to write to one or all the agencies listed above. Thankyou!
Here's a little blurb in AW on the matter. Thanks to Thomas O'Keefe for highlighting this issue!
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Article/view/articleid/32205/
LisaF
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote LisaF Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 8:05am
I agree - we all need to get VOCAL! We should also get WRRR involved and local fishing groups (anyone have an in?)
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 9:44am
I contacted WADOT. They responded with a comment that the project is out of their jurisdiction, so I don't think this is the agency to contact for this project. Same as with Forest Service. Sound like comments should be directed to Snohomish County. I would suggest directing comment to the ROAD MAINTENANCE division, though they have yet to return my call.

SnohomishCounty also has a Facebook page that you can more easily direct comments.

FHWA also has a FB page that will accept comments, though I do not know if they get reviewed by those it may concern, always worth a shot; in addition to old fashion stamps and snailmail.

Earlier this week I chatted with some SnohoCounty Road maintenance workers who happened to be taking a coffee break in Index. One said a lot about the project. Looking back a tape recorder would have caught some incriminating language indicating that the County is indeed stalling. In short he said that the road work could be done in two weeks, but due to administrative constraints he laughs about whether it ever gets done. He seemed really cynical about it.    

Please keep up the pressure; we don't want to miss this window of opportunity. It's been almost 10 years!

Edited by huckin harms - 21 Mar 2015 at 9:51am
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:59pm
So I got a call back from Road Maintenance Supervisor for Snohomish County. He said the project to restore the road is starting 2016. They still need to finalize permitting this year with involved agencies. Overall it's good news...
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 6:37pm
Will let my voice be heard. Thanks Tams N Harms!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Mhmiller
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Mhmiller Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 5:09pm
I have property past the washout so have been watching this for 9years now. Just recently the county told me it will be several more years. I wrote to all the listed folks as well as Murray, Cantwell,etc. Only one response so far with party line excuses. I really think they are waiting for another washout and then call off the repair entirely.
rockarolla
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo
Trying to not fear the REAPER

Quote rockarolla Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 6:25pm
The mega classic NF section , Drumbeater to Trout creek   stays dorment
No good !
Dave Moroles.   253 241 8550.
Mhmiller
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Mhmiller Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 8:51am
I've gotten a couple more rote replies.  The road suffered another washout at MP 2.5 that's being repaired.   Also damage above MP 10.  Without more pressure the road may never reopen as it's becoming an expense for the county.    Has anyone else communicated with SnoCo and gotten a response?

Edited by Mhmiller - 08 Jan 2016 at 8:54am
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 8:07am
As mentioned in previous comments Snohomish County is continuing work on road repairs. Having spoken with road maintenance supervisor and others in the dept., I am confident the work will get started to repair the road washout at Trout crk starting next Fall 2016. The process will take a couple years, so hope for the spring of 2018. There are several significant washouts beyond that will need fixing courtesy of our most recent floods.
Mhmiller
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Mhmiller Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 8:41am
I've also spoken with the lead engineer who just said it would be several more years.  As my cabin is at MP 8 I walk it frequently.  It is hard to see any survey progress and in fact it appears that much original survey marking has gotten destroyed.  I would not doubt that with this winter's changes to the riverbed they delay even longer.  They opted not to  take the new road on to bedrock but instead on to stable alluvial areas which may prove to be unstable after all.  Don't hold your breath.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 9:11am
Sounds like you have the answers to your questions before you ask them. Why ask at all if your so dubious of the outcome. For my part, I'm sticking to the positive messages that have been relayed to me. It's just going to take some more time, but nobody has said it's NOT happening, at least not yet.
waterfire
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote waterfire Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 10:36am
Just an interesting sight that I saw yesterday, I went up to end of index galena road at the washout yesterday and noticed that the river bed was completely dry... I was able to hike in the riverbed to the other side of the "washout." It will be interesting to see as the river levels increase if it chooses a different path or stay the course that its been doing the past 10 years. The power of floods.....Man, I miss that road!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version