Professor Paddle: fluid dynamics? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: fluid dynamics? Post Reply Post New Topic
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote imageAK Replybullet Topic: fluid dynamics?
    Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 11:30pm
Can anyone recommend some good reading on fluid dynamics? Possibly as it pertains to kayaking?

Edited by imageAK - 24 Mar 2015 at 8:04am
aint nobody got time for that!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
czyaaron
Paddler
Paddler

Quote czyaaron Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 7:59am
Not a clue, but this book received 4.5 stars out of 11 user reviews on a Amazon. If you have Amazon Prime, you can get it for free in two days!

http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Mechanics-Fundamentals-Applications-Cengel/dp/0073380326/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427208851&sr=1-3
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 8:06am
Thanks. I signed up for a class at the local college, but its not for several weeks & I'd like to read up.
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 9:13am
William Neely wrote an animated book called simply, Kayak. It is the best book on the subject IMHO and one every paddler should read or own.
Butchv
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Butchv Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 10:19am
As a mechanical engineer and part-time CFD analyst, I can't think of a fluid dynamics book that would help with kayaking. Most fluids books are pretty dry and full of equations. The one I learned the most from was Introduction to Fluid Mechanics by Fox and McDonald. Of course, this was back in 1993 so there may be better textbooks.
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 12:46pm
SOPBOATER hit that nail on the head.

William Neely gives the easiest-to-understand look at how river hydraulics interact with boats (and humans).
Definitely worth the read and the cash.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 1:28pm
In addition to "Kayak" by William Nealy, also see "The Squirt Book" or the later version, "Squirt Boating and Beyond" by James E. Snyder and William Nealy.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 4:28pm
Gotta love "Kayak", best cartoon examples and clear explanations that I have seen.  Nothing beats paddling and scouting multiple rapids with other experienced boaters to give you advice and knowledge! 
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 8:20pm
Butchv: we should talk, I do multiphase CFD in support of physics-based simulations of explosive volcanic eruptions. Cool s-t!

Most fluids texts (while interesting in their own right) are not intended for the peculiarities of free-surface flow dynamics, focussing more on engineering applications. Our kayaking applications are generally turbulent and while sometimes having coherent large eddies, have an underlying template that has an element of randomness. To penetrate the literature on this subject can be "full of equations" and is almost a entire sub-field of applied math, that is not very satisfying for someone seeking to expand their physical intuition.

So my take as someone who has spent decades in the fluids science biz, you might have more fun and insight from the kayak-specific references mentioned above by Dale, Megspk, Soapboater, etc. Then dig into the broader field, which is interesting for other reasons.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 7:20am
Originally posted by Dale

In addition to "Kayak" by William Nealy, also see "The Squirt Book" or the later version, "Squirt Boating and Beyond" by James E. Snyder and William Nealy.

Until one is aware of the cause and effects of quarks, it is doubtful they will ever progress beyond a mere mortal state of paddling.

Butchv
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Butchv Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 9:33am
Mokelumnekid - That does sound quite cool. I have not heard of folks using CFD for volcano eruptions. I work for an engineering consulting firm that does both FEA and CFD. I generally stay in the FEA world but dabble in the CFD world. We are all over the place from multiphase to multi-species to eroding flows to boiling. Definitely cool stuff.
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 9:57am
Thanks for the info guys.
PanchosPigTaxi
Paddler
Paddler

Quote PanchosPigTaxi Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 1:36pm
imageAK, I'm taking a fluids course right now using the 2nd edition of the above mentioned Cengel fluids textbook (it's waaay cheaper). I've found the section on open channels the most interesting because it pertains to rivers and weirs. Drag force pertains a bit to kayak aerodynamics. Hope this helps. Good luck with the course.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 9:07pm
William Nealy.
Kayak.
The Squirt Book.
I have both copies, Image Ak, but really you should do two things:

1) Simply sit beside ANY complex, dynamic rapid. Do a HUGE BONG HIT or two. Then,( and this distinction is important) DO NOT merely look at the river--- one must instead SEE The River. Listen, as well. It will sing you its song, and wisper its secrets...

I recommend Psilocybon. Tom Love, Creater of the Ninja R2 cataraft-like unique class V creekin Inflatable (WHOSE IDEA HAS BEEN STOLEN BY THE LIKES OF fu*kIN HYSIDE, AND SEVERAL OTHER INFLABLE THIEVES) Known as The Shredder, once recounted a tail of sitting at the bottom of Clasz III Entrance Rapids on the Lower Yough in Ohiopyle PA. He was trippin ballz on Mushrooms and observed a surge 1/4 Mi upstream. He then watched that surge as its accordian effect echoed in its compression wave all the way downstream towards the very rock he was eddied out behind, until said surge lapped up over the rock, and splashed onto his lap. He claims an accute enhancement of his "River Vision" ever since.

So, you don't need a dry accedemic manual full of boring equations. You don't need math. I flunked math myself it is a wonder I graduated Highschool at all.

Dude,just get a bag of Mushrooms and sit next to a rapid. Don't paddle on mushrooms though until you have truly "arrived". It goes against the tenents of the AcA code. Never, EVER boat under the influence of drugs. Awe--who We Kiddin?

Get a bag of Mushrooms.
Can you get to that? Listen to "Maggot Brain" while you're at it, you River Maggot you (That's a Nealy reference bro, and a Funkedelic reference as well, so...)

2) come hang with me at least 3 times. (but I don't eat shrooms no more) Just make sure there ain't no "Attack Of The Kayak Clones" bullsh*t goin on. These Plastic People all wanna look like they b the sh*t. Therefore they jyst Skimmin the Surface. Ameture Fools With Professional Tools... YOU are not like them, Image AK, because you got the soul to hit the Tilton with little roll and half the paddle. You are LEGIT.I suspect you already know what it means to boat in the Deep End of The River.

3)Just make sure your skills and technique stay ahead of your experience. Keen Observation is a Skill. Don't flush through each rapid like all those Driftwood Kayak Clone Dipsh*tz. Pause below each rapid. Paddle around. Look upstream at what you ran.

Edited by jP - 08 Apr 2015 at 9:28pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 9:42pm
Fantastic. Perfect response in my opinion.
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 11:22am

I've also been reading a book for raft guide training, Whitewater Rafter, by Jeff Bennett.  On page 125 there's a section on Rafting in the Third Dimension.  I found this to be really informative in describing hydraulics, waves, holes, eddys and other features.

“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version