Professor Paddle: Sultan river fatality vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Sultan river fatality Post Reply Post New Topic
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Topic: Sultan river fatality
    Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 8:41am
I am posting this because I want everyone to know the events of what happened on Saturday. That being said I want comments kept to a minimum, if you have a question please feel free to ask, but if you feel the need to make a statement about this incident please do it somewhere else. These people were naive to the hazards and are another statistic that can only be avoided by education, not blame.

If you wish to pay your respects please come to Travis' Funeral, otherwise keep it to yourself.

Date: 4/25/15, Saturday
River: Sultan
Section: Lower; Powerhouse to Fishing Access
Gauge: Sultan River Blw Powerplant
Water Level: 1,450 CFS (medium)
Difficulty: Class IV+
Accident code:
Injury code: Fatal
Years paddling: Unknown
Private/commercial: Private
Boat Type: Paddle Raft
Boat Manufacturer: Hyside 14’
Boat Model:
Number of occupants: 4
Number in group: 4
Number of victims: 1

Around 3:30 PM our group of 5 kayakers (Adam G, Jon S, Jon C, Mike H, Jed H)ran the rapid known as Last Nasty. I was the last individual in our group to complete the rapid and when I eddied out on River Right I discovered two individuals standing at river level, who immediately told me “we need help”(we will call them victim 1 and victim 2). They were wearing cotton clothes, ill-fitting PFD’s and generally looking unprepared for a river trip. At this point they informed me that there were 4 people in their group but only 3 were accounted for and the missing party was last seen floating downstream without a PFD face down in the river and their raft was gone. A previous group of kayakers (Sam, Jordy, Mike, and Ben) had encountered the group and when they were told there was still a missing victim they took chase to determine if the 4th victim was on shore or in the river still.

I initially told them that the best thing to do would be to hike out to the road because they were wet and cold and they need to get out of the river bed. At this point I guessed they had been on shore for about an hour. Considering their situation and the information I had in hand this appeared to be the best option.

After moving back downstream about 100 feet I discovered that the raft was still in the river upside down with the stern line chocked to the bottom of the river. At this point I eddied out on the right where we found the third victim sitting on a rock near the shore on river right; she was in shock, very cold, and not communicative but luckily sitting in the sun.

At this point I changed our plan and three of us (Mike H, Jon C, and myself) paddled to river left and recovered the raft. One member (Mike H) climbed on top of the raft from his kayak and attached a throw bag to the raft, he then cut the webbing that was chocked to the bottom of the river freeing the raft and Jon C and Myself pendulumed the raft to river left. At this point other groups were coming downstream who assisted with recovering the raft and heading downstream to communicate our situation to Search and rescue. We used breakdown kayak paddles to paddle the boat to river right.

At this point myself and another member of our group (Jon S) hiked about 200 feet upstream to where Victim 1 and 2 were still at river level where I had previously made contact with them, this took us about 5 minutes. When I spoke to them I learned that the group of 4 had initially all made it to shore but the 4th had reentered the water in an attempt to recover the raft. At this point he went under the raft and after some time his t-shirt washed out followed by his PFD and sometime later he floated out face down and out of sight.

From this point we slowly worked our way back downstream, traversing the steep, loose and uneven terrain back to the raft. I would scout a line, clear brush and cut steps, then return to the group and lead them to another stable spot and start the process over again. It took us about an hour to traverse back to the raft. Jon S and I worked in tandem to pick lines through the thick brush and steep slopes as well as assist pulling, pushing , and motivating the pair to continue forward. During this Mike P’s group stayed in their kayaks directly below us in the event that any of us slipped or tumbled down the slope into the river.

Once back at the raft the other members of the group had tied my kayak to the raft and had recovered two of the raft paddles. We loaded the two female victims onto the center compartment and the male victim into the front with a member of our group (Adam G). I was guiding while the member (Adam G) in our group and the male victim paddled. It took us about 15 minutes to navigate the last few rapids down to the take out at the fishing access on river left off of Trout Farm Road.

At the Fishing access the Sheriff’s department and paramedic unit were waiting with an ambulance. At this point the 4th member was still unaccounted for. After making my statement and giving my information to the Sheriff’s deputy we continued downstream in an attempt to recover Victim 4.

About a ¼ mile from the fishing access we came across another group who had discovered the 4th victim stuck on a rock left of center in the river. At this point they pulled his body to river left and walked to a house to call emergency care to recover the body.

I stayed with the deceased with Mike H and Jon S until Monroe EMS arrived and recovered the deceased.

This group had put in at the powerhouse and was not aware of the Recreational release from Culmback dam. That being said, if the release hadn't been happening it is unlikely that there would have been another group running that section and I surmise that they would have not been able to exit the canyon without assistance and would likely have died from exposure. This group had no prior experience and was wearing cotton pants, ill-fitting PFD's, and no helmets.

The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 10:40am
I also want to say that all the groups on the river that day played a part in the recovery and I want you all to know that your efforts do not go unnoticed. Thanks you for the assist. It was truly a group effort to get those three individuals off the water and everyone fell into their role to make it all happen. At no point did I feel like the wrong decisions were being made or that there were "too many cooks in the kitchen". It was a very efficient and smooth operation all things considered.

So to everyone:

Thank you.
978-273-7723
Mauler!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Mauler! Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 11:04am
Thanks for the update Jed....
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 11:41am
Thanks for the attention to detail when recounting this, Jed. That amount of detail, down to the last, seems very importantant to avoid speculation and serve some kind of educational awareness.

The answer to my oy question was implied at the end of your post:

These folks had no knowledge of the scheduled release, and therefore did not put on as a result of the scheduled release. Am I correct with that assumption?

Again thanks for taking the time to include such detail, glad you guys were able to help those who survived the ordeal.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Drew
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Drew Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 11:54am
Jed: The reason it didn't seem like there were "too many cooks" was that you took control and made the right decisions. Your group and you in particular deserve tremendous credit for dealing with this situation and I second your assessment that other members of the raft group would not have made it off the river without your assistance.   I was in Mike P's group, which arrived on the scene a bit after you. Glad we could help, albeit in a minor way. Way to step up.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 12:28pm
From talking to the PUD folks today, it appears that they knew about the increased flow but likely had put on the river before the flow had reached them. Judging by our timeline and the timeline of the people who were observers at the power house it seems likely that they put on the river around noon, and the incident likely happen sometime shortly after that.
978-273-7723
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 6:02pm
Thank you for the report. As well as for your efforts. Its commendable to a valorous degree, & confidence bolstering that it would seem you & those near you did everything timely & efficiently without hesitation. Thank you is also deserved I'm sure for the consideration & thoughts you probably had for the ultimate victim of the situation as you waited with him.
May we all take a lesson to instigate learning and safety near the water in any scenario.
My condolences to his loved ones.

Edited by imageAK - 27 Apr 2015 at 6:04pm
aint nobody got time for that!
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 10:28pm
Strong work Jed, both on the river and on the web. Thanks for all you have done for those involved and for stepping up and posting such a concise and respectful account of what happened. It's hard to be involved in a river fatality, and it's hard to communicate what happened. I'm glad you have what it takes to do both. We all run rivers and a death on the river affects us all.
AdamG
Paddler
Paddler

Quote AdamG Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2015 at 12:49pm
Indeed, good work Jed. A very somber end to a special day. On a related note:

During this rescue I lost BOTH blades to a 4-pc werner player breakdown paddle. They were duck taped together and sank like a frickin' brick when I pitched them across the eddy during the rescue shuffle. We were at the location on RR ~200' downgradient of Last Nasty and it disappeared into an eddy just a few feet from the bank. I would love to get these back. My name and number were on them but are probably faded over the years. Keep your eyes out if you're on the lower Sultan
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2015 at 6:45pm
Adam-
This would be a great opportunity for Werner to help out a local paddler who was doing the right thing. I would send their Customer Service folks an email or even a phone call. Lay out what happened and ask if there is anything they can do. I'm sure they have a couple blades laying around from warranty replacement or the like.
Jed, and all who were out there that day. Job well done! It truly sounds like your actions prevented more hardships and even more fatalities. Nice job!

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version