Professor Paddle: Upper Wentachee vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Upper Wentachee Post Reply Post New Topic
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote megspk Replybullet Topic: Upper Wentachee
    Posted: 18 May 2015 at 9:36am
Has anyone boated the Upper Wenatchee lately?  I heard there was wood in one of the rapids, but I don't know which one.  Anyone know about it?  Is it super visible or does the rapid need a scout?  Thanks!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
rorosherman
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote rorosherman Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:17am
I went down it about a month a go. There is wood below the first rapid; very easily avoidable though as long as you stay in your boat. It is also scoutable from the road. I've been wanting to go back down that stretch Megan. Next time you are in town we should do it!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
otterend
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote otterend Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:26am
Megan-

If the Chiwawa stays in above 850 cfs, that's a nice run in the upper Wenatchee drainage. I haven't been on the Chwawa this year, so I can't give you a wood report. On PP site, I'm unsure where the Huckleberry Campground is located. But I think it is too far up. I recommend against going too far out the Chiwawa River road because of wood. Grouse Creek (not Goose Creek) Campground is about as far as I go. ( see http://www.justgetout.net/wenatchee/16860 )  I usually put in before Grouse Creek campground and run down to the wier in the Chiwawa River Pines community. This is a long, splashy class 3- run at 1-1.5k cfs, catch on the fly surf, easy boofing and rock dodging. No hydraulics or holes of significance. Fun, continuous rapid for 1 - 1.5 miles below the Chiwawa River Bridge.  Dense forest at 2200' elevation. No homes or roads until the last 2 miles. Take a playboat. Good for those in an IK.

The Upper Wenatchee, from Lake Wenatchee to the Tumwater Campground on Hwy 2, Is class 2 water. Very nice float trip, especially below Plain. Wood has never been an issue. There is really only one 2+\3- in the section, a straight forward left bending rapid.

If you continue on into Tumwater Canyon, then there is another few miles that contain several class 3 Rapids before one reaches The Wall, which at 4-5k is a class 5+. The upper section of Tumwater above The Wall is ok boating. But I enjoy the Chiwawa and the Wenatchee Play Run more.

Chris

Edited by otterend - 18 May 2015 at 11:35am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2015 at 1:24pm
When driving around this last weekend I stopped at the bridge in Plain and the river did look very pretty with the dramatic tilted geological outcrops. It was wide there with lots of riffles.
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2015 at 2:07pm
I've been wanting to float the Chiwawa for years.  I'll even drive folks up there if they wanna go.
Brett
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2015 at 4:02pm
The Chiwawa has a great eddy service playwave that is very similar to turkey shoot. It's located at the Chiwawa River Rd takeout. I'd guess it's in at quite a wide range of flows given the character of the wave.

The Huckleberry Ford Campground is here according to google maps:
https://goo.gl/maps/VUj7p

Given the river note - perhaps this was private property? It's a really neat little put-in with a sandy beach and good camping.
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2015 at 4:32pm
They've fenced off the formerly used 'flat' spot, but there is a short easy access point 20yds downstream of the fence.
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2015 at 8:27am
Yeah the wood is after the first rapid where it widens out the wood is in the middle of the river acrosa two rocks. Easily avoidable even if you swim. Just make sure you look for it first.
aint nobody got time for that!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version