Professor Paddle: Skookumchuck? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Skookumchuck? Post Reply Post New Topic
anjin_san
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote anjin_san Replybullet Topic: Skookumchuck?
    Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 1:09pm
Anyone interested in trip to Skookumchuck? Looks like this weekend into early next week should have pretty good flow.  I've never been, so I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the tide charts.  I've been using the Boom Islet station (looks like the closest one?) If anyone has better beta on tides please let me know.  http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/eng/station?type=0&date=2015%2F07%2F10&sid=7843&tz=PDT&pres=1
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
mtn surfista
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote mtn surfista Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 1:44pm
http://www.sunshinecoastcanada.com/images/hidden_gems/Skookumchuck/2015skookumchucktides.pdf
anjin_san
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote anjin_san Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 2:39pm
Thanks @mtn surfista.  I did see that .pdf as well.  Thanks
kurle
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kurle Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 3:44pm
Just got back from a trip to skook, what a magical place! had it all to my self except for a couple of friendly locals.

PP has a page with some good info on it: http://www.professorpaddle.com/rivers/riverdetails.asp?riverid=1033

Under the focast section, click on the FCpage link and it will take you to a tide/current predictor. this is the tool i've always used.

Scroll down to the options and click "one month calendar" under display type, and then choose the length of time you want to display (2 weeks or so). then hit make predictions using options and you'll be off and running. what you're interested in the max flood speed in knots, and the time of max flood. slack is about 2 hours before that time.

keep in mind this is a prediction so it's not exact, but i've seen the wave come in as low as 11 knots. 12 will be in for sure. above 14-15 knots the wave will green out near/during peak flows, but still be plenty of fun in a playboat before and after. above 14 and the chance of going on the tour becomes more likely and it's pretty rowdy. 12-14 knots is really the sweet spot for a first trip up.

I camped at a chilled out tent/cabin hippy compound called strongwater which was pretty deluxe. easy walk from camp to the trailhead. Klein lake or back eddy are also camping options, but strongwater is by far my favorite choice.

Hope you make it up there, it's a great time!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
anjin_san
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote anjin_san Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 4:28pm
@Kurle thanks for the beta! Looks like it's going to prime next week. Do you see people take sailboats through the narrows at slack tide?  I'm thinking I might sail up there...
kurle
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kurle Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 4:51pm
ive never seen a sailboat pass by, but people take all sorts of boats through there. not sure which way you're travelling, but i'd moore up in egmont or back eddy and paddle in (back eddy has a good pub/restaurant). sailing up there would be such a good trip. i was wishing i had boated up there!
anjin_san
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote anjin_san Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 4:56pm
yea I looked at anchorages north of the rapids, looks like no problem.  I'm torn - I want to bring the truck and bikes and ride all the sweet trail being build up there too.  Just too much fun to be had up that way. 

Any boaters that like to bike out there? Gonna be a sweet trip either way!
joshcrossman
McNasty
McNasty

Quote joshcrossman Replybullet Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 8:36pm
I literally just got back from 4 days on the skook tonight-- first time and absolutely choice. Some of the best fun I've ever had in a kayak. You want to have the tides really between 10.5 and 15.5-- some go even further down, but that seemed to be about right.   15+ was not as gnarly as it is made out to be, totally fine.     You can get a nice future tide prediction here http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Sechelt+Rapids%2C+British+Columbia+Current+%28use+with+caution%29 and that seems to be a very solid source, right on the money when I was there.   

Biking would be pretty burly on that trail, lots of spots you would have to carry.   Best thing to do is paddle down a few hours before your first day, it's an easy paddle about 45 minutes depending on current.   Leave your boat there each day and hike in / out with your gear.   I'd bring some trail shoes, not booties, i did it in brewers and it was fine but much better in trail runners i used after the first day.   It's like 2 miles, I was jogging half the time and had it like 30 minutes.    I thought before max was better than after; easier to attain from the eddy below, and easier to make the eddy.   Still goodness for 2 hrs after though, hated to leave.

on the last day, you can just paddle up during a slack time, really not that hard.   If you are posh, you could get http://www.hightidetours.com to shuttle you back via water taxi; it's a $100 for 4 folks.   I think the exercise is probably a better choice.   

A sailboat at slack might be fine, but it's a short window and the tides rip, I'm not a sailor. I didn't see a single sailboat up there for 4 days; everyone has a motorboat.   But as I say, I'm not a sailor. Call one of the tour operators up there and ask for beta would be my advice.   

Totally worth it.   
i like it when it rains
anjin_san
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote anjin_san Replybullet Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 11:06am
Thanks for  all the beta.  By the sounds of it there isn't much or a reason to take boat through the narrows.  It looks like I missed the tide window for a couple weeks but I'm stoked to go check it out in Aug when its cranking again. I'll see if I can rally some troops for the next session!  Cheers.
-A
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 11:29am
I am fairly sure that you would not bring your bike to ride the trail to the wave, the riding in the general area however is epic. The coastal crew has built some stuff around powell river and even the maderia bay zones that is top notch!

As for 15+ knots, the wave starts to green out as it gets over 14 for a period of time which gives some epic down river play fun. The real reason alot of folks don't like 15+ is because it becomes harder and harder to make the ferry onto the wave and you have to start walking your boat up to the top to drop in. The other thing is the tour gets a bit longer if you miss the eddy.

Have a blast, I think that might end up being one of my first family camping zones since it is easy to have a short family outing to the wave and not take all day long doing it.

Edited by James - 16 Jul 2015 at 11:29am
joshcrossman
McNasty
McNasty

Quote joshcrossman Replybullet Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:01pm
James, totally worth it with the family-- they went to Ruby Lake while I boated and played on the beach all day, which is about 15 minutes from the park. The kids were bummed to leave, which means I may just have to take them back. :-)    
i like it when it rains
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:33pm
I gathered that would be the case. i would end up trailering my boat too and then just tying up at the launch each night to motor into the wave, cut a few minutes off the jorney and go fishing with the kids.

Oh and PS
https://www.coastgravitypark.ca/location

Killa bike park on the coast too!
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 1:43pm
I thought 10.5 was just as fun as 14 when I was just up there (Hi Josh). You definitely want to make it down ~2 hours before max flow as it's fun at a lot of those levels. It seems like after peak, it becomes harder to make the eddy because of the way the wave drops out. We stayed at a campground called the Strong Water that just re-opened. We were charged about $25 CAD for camping, there are also cool little cabins for ~$80. The camping at the backeddy and at the general store are both really crummy, I would avoid unless you have no choice. Klein lake is good and the cheapest, but I believe you do have to drive to the trailhead.

You 100% want to paddle in / paddle out. It seems like lots of people carry their boats out, and that's a fair bit of work unless you're in a big hurry. We waited until the wave was totally gone, but the tide was still moving in - about 2 hours after peak - and were able to easily paddle out. The best place to paddle in from is the general store, they didn't mind us just launching off the edge of their dock. There is also a small public boat launch there that you can use. Just park at the trailhead and walk down to avoid paying ~$5 for parking.

More beta here:
http://www.liquidlore.com/bc/skookumchuck/
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version