Professor Paddle: New Paradise??? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: New Paradise??? Post Reply Post New Topic
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dave Replybullet Topic: New Paradise???
    Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 5:37pm
WTF??????

Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 5:39pm
Nomad
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 10:03am
So disappointing!!  I thought there was an agreement with the paddling community and the owner?  So if you aren't hiking....you don't have to pay? ;)
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 2:04pm
My understanding is that paddlers still get free access to the trail, thanks to the WKC...  But it does sound like they're opening it back up to anyone with a crisp $5.  This is nothing new - back in the 80's and early 90's, the paradise area in summer was a total heshen hang out.  Food, drink, swimming, cliff jumping, etc.  Good times!  Back then the access trail was on RL, dropping down under the bridge to the little eddy just below the falls.  But they shut access down due to liability concerns.  Go figure...  Anyway, when the cold, fall rains bring the river back up, I don't see crowding as a concern.    

Edited by jalmquist - 21 Aug 2015 at 5:04pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 8:28am
The guy didnt appreciate me taking pictures either. Last year they tried to keep the people out of there that were swimming, looks like this year they gave up a d decided to make a few bucks instead. Good thinking on Their part as last year they werent being very nice about it. This way its cool for the swimmers.
Nomad
shanna
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote shanna Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 1:42am
I was down there about a month ago snorkeling and checking out the scene - scary with all the shenanigans going on, it put a sadness in my heart to see people trashing the put-in.

Info from Ron (the guy who installed the stairs heading down to the paradise put in)
The Carters, property owner, installed the 6’ chain link fence and gate to try and keep the summer crowd out. They are continuing to trash the put in ledge and gravel bar on river left. Within two days of the installation, the fence had been cut by the summer crowds. Carter repaired the fence and it again was cut. He then installed barbed wire along the top but they just cut up from the bottom to gain access. He put up private property signs but these people seem to feel “entitled” to use the property. The new approach is to charge for parking and give a donation for trail access. When the boy drowned sometime in the past, after going down the steps on the east side of the river and jumping off the cliff, his family sued Carter. The thought is this new approach is an effort to avoid a future lawsuit.

The WKC still donates a yearly fee for this access - Thanks WKC! When I mentioned I was part of the WKC, the $5 per person charge was quickly dropped and I was waved through.

Eric Carter, Jim Carters son, lives in the first house on the right as you approach the road gate from Black Diamond. He was asked what the plans were for the property, but he would only say that he thought that we would be happy with the property’s future.

I have some pictures, but I don't know how to post them, you'll have to use your imagination.

Edited by shanna - 28 Aug 2015 at 1:53am
Shanna
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version