Professor Paddle: creepy neighbors vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: creepy neighbors Post Reply Post New Topic
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote iron monkey Replybullet Topic: creepy neighbors
    Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 10:16pm
Help, I have some creepy neighbors at my new place. They have surveillance cameras aimed in my freaking window. SO I put up a temporary boat wall storage area, then they move their camera, then I move the boats, then they move the camera.
This went on for a while until I confronted them. BTW the camera is not so cleverly hidden in a plastic owl that the head moves and pans and follows me as I work in the yard. So after our Nice neighborly chat, the owl gets moved and a new copper frog looking thing shows up with a freakin camera in it. That also pans.

I noticed every time I rearrange my boat wall, the neighbors move the cameras. I'm gonna build a privacy fence, but I can't make it over 7 feet tall. But I can lean boats up against my fence, and lots of boats are taller than that.

Here's where the plea for help is. Does anybody have some old, ugly tall, broken, historical or decent shape boats laying around that to you would bee interested in donating to the annoy my neighbors who don't seem to like boaters cause

I'm most interested in free to cheap, but intriguing craft I would consider buying or trading for my artwork. The metal salmon pic in the gallery is a good example one of my most requested commissions. A savage scorpion complete with stainless end caps would be worthy of a custom piece.

Thanks for reading this kinda long post. and thanks for any possible contributions to a privacy wall/ kayak museum/, graveyard/installation
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 4:42am
get yourself a potato, a video camera and a broomstick, cram that potato up the tailpipe of their car with said broomstick. Aim camera at said car and enjoy the folly....post the video.

Personally, I don't think I'd tolerate it as long as you have.  I wouldn't be so neighborly. My guess is they got something else going on in their house and the last thing they want is police presence.....start a scene, bring 'em on. Sometimes ya gotta run riff raff out of your own neighborhood or they multiply and fester.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 7:05am
Buy a laser and fix the beam on the camera lens. Everyone knows lasers beat cameras. Otherwise I would just shoot the lens with a bb gun, I do get in trouble a lot BTW, maybe don't follow my advice
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 10:39am
I Have a Corsica S that is collecting dust in my backyard that I would gladly donate. I'ts almost 11 feet long and will nicely create blockage.

I'm in shoreline and am available after work most weekedays. Jed at hotmail dot com.

Good luck with that.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 2:57am
Thanks for the sage advice. The riff raff are in their 80s and friends with the HOA president. So I think I'm gonna stick with the tall bright pieces of plastic, boathenge theme for now. Definitely take you up on a Corsica S, that's the first boat I ever paddled.

Any boats, could/would be on loan. Think of it as boat storage, your tired of your other saying to get that Response/transition etc out of the guest bedroom. Who knows you may even see your trusty old steed high up on the ridge as you ply the local waterways.
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 3:33pm
I don't think it's legal to train cameras on another's property. I'd just shoot them, the cameras that is. Then I would let the neighbors have it along with the hoa president. I'm not real patient in this stuff and it would likely get real ugly real quick to the point where most would just assume not play. If they think you're nuts all the better.
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 3:40pm
I like the laser idea!
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 7:12pm
I wonder what an 80yr old hopes to see?
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 10:58pm
Try one of those (or five) freeway halogens aimed at the camera. Put it on a portable stand so you can "adjust" accordingly.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 11:04am
-How did they explain the purpose of the camera when you confronted them?

-Have you considered making an issue out of this at the full HOA meeting? Even if they are pals with the president, I can't imagine that the rest of the HOA board would be cool with the idea of surveilance cameras pointed at *their* windows.

-If all else fails, you might find some helpful info in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Neighbor-Law-Fences-Trees-Boundaries/dp/0873376501

You can get used copies for $0.01 plus shipping. It's a handy reference even if you don't have problem neighbors.
-Jay
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 11:08am
Also:

-If nothing else works and you feel like playing tit-for-tat, you can get a four pack of fake-but-realistic-looking surveillance cameras for $30 on amazon.

Mount up a four-pack and see how they like it when they're the ones on candid camera.
http://www.amazon.com/Masione-Security-Illuminating-Blinking-Surveillance/dp/B013W7AHSM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442858776&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=fake+surveilance+cameraas

Edited by JayB - 21 Sep 2015 at 11:08am
-Jay
ZakW
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote ZakW Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 3:31pm
I have an old Eskimo Salto that doesn't get out much, I would be happy to store it at your place if you are still looking for boats. It's about 8' long.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 6:29pm
This is a crappy thing to have to deal with. I'm not an expert but I think WA state has very weak laws protecting people from this kind of thing. I believe the standard is still that the person complaining has to prove that the person taking the video did so for the purpose of sexual gratification, which is obviously lame. (Not to mention, an upskirting guy claimed he wasn't taking the video for that purpose. Not sure how that one turned out.) But I agree that if you take it to the HOA people might feel differently about the prospect of themselves or their children being videotaped in their own backyards by their neighbors.  Also, regardless of whether you are renting or you own the property this is arguably a 'property devaluation' issue that most HOAs have restrictions against.  Good luck.

It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 8:20pm
Where is this ??!
I agree w/ the others that you need to take this up publicly at your neighborhood meeting. Regardless of how the president feels about it. That is creepy and wrong. It should not be tolerated in any community. If people want to invest in surveilence technology for their own property and protection or whatever, that is their right. But in this case clearly they are violating your rights to basic privacy. I would not tolerate this. And if I was a home owner? Unexceptable.

I would expose these people in public.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 7:40am
Documentation of the transgression would also be helpful when you bring this up at a HOA meeting.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 3:41am
Go to your local district court clerk's office and fill out the paperwork to get a anti harassment order. The standard language in them prohibits surveillance and makes it a criminal act. Then it really doesn't matter what HOA boy thinks of what his buddies are up to.

HOA's suck. Mine did nothing when their security guards were telling people calling them with neighborhood issues to go knock on my door because they lived near a cop.

Kyle 
I smell bacon
burn
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote burn Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 6:04pm
I like to walk around naked and do naked yoga ,If I'm being recorded.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version