Professor Paddle: Free surf kayak vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Free surf kayak Post Reply Post New Topic
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jalmquist Replybullet Topic: Free surf kayak
    Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 6:06pm

Yep, you heard me right.  It’s free!  And since it’s free, I figure I’m not limited to posting this in the FSBO section.  So here goes… 

Do you like ocean surfing in your kayak, but maybe feel limited (i.e. stuck in the foam pile) thanks to the paltry speed and soft edges of your river kayak?  If so, you need to try a real surf kayak!  Yep, we’re talking the full meal deal – truly flat hull with good waterline, edges and concave side walls, and triple fin boxes with fins!  A couple of years ago here on PP, Charles James put “THE SHOE” (a surf kayak he built for himself using the “Gary Korb” method) up for grabs.  He listed it as “free to a good home” with the proviso that they pass it along in a similar manner when they deemed it time to part ways.  I must have been the lucky one browsing PP from work at the time of his post, as I was the first (of many!) to respond.  My eyes were opened, and life hasn’t been the same since!  Thanks to THE SHOE, I now know how speed on a wave really feels.  And I’m hooked.  So much so that I went out and plunked down a bunch of cold, hard cash for – how shall we say it – a less “homemade” surf kayak.         

And with that little investment (and a “YOU DID WHAT?” comment from my better half), the time has come for me to continue the tradition and pass THE SHOE onto its next loving home.  For free!  And like before, this gift comes with the proviso that you surf it, love it, and when you feel it’s time to part ways, you carry on the tradition of passing it along FREE to the next loving home with the same proviso.  Charles expects to see THE SHOE on the coastal beaches of Washington for years to come, providing surf enlightenment and enjoyment to owner after owner. 

A little about the boat:  As mentioned above, Charles built THE SHOE using Gary Korb’s method of homemade surf kayak construction.  So while it’s a beauty at heart (and in the surf), it’s a little rough around the edges.  But it’s a one-of-a-kind classic, from the Gary Korb construction method to the Ken Debondt (of Surf Pummel fame) “wing tip” artwork.  Also, Charles is a tall, bronzed, chiseled surf master, tall being the key word.  He built THE SHOE to fit him.  I’m 6’ tall, 185 (after pissing, pooping, farting, and laying off the barley soda for a few days), and had to put additional few inches of foam against the foam bulkhead foot rest.  When I did this, the boat fit me fine, and was good for my weight.  If you’re a bit smaller, you’ll be just fine assuming you build up the foot foam.  But this boat’s probably a bit big if you’re closer to 5’ than 6’…

If you're interested, you can PM me here, email me at jalmquiatreidotcom, or call / text me at 20six4nine8eight064

Jon 
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 9:16pm
Please post a picture!
I wanna see it
H2O please
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 8:46am
To see it in action, go to this Gary Luhm gallery from Surf Pummel, and look at photos #16,  20, and 21. 
http://www.garyluhm.net/lightroomwebstuff/lapush_2010/index_2.html

Edited by James - 07 Oct 2015 at 8:50am
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 8:47am
Too cool Jon, love the story and I also remember posting behind you to get a crack at that boat.

While I would jump in line here I feel like others would certainly get more use from the boat than me since I barely get to use the boats I have... sniffle sniffle.

Look forward to seeing the next chapter in the life story of "The Shoe"
mprussak
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mprussak Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 12:48pm
On behalf of myself and a good friend, we could put the shoe to good use, if travisimo doesn't want it. I've done more surf kayaking than river kayaking this summer, and I wind up on the coast quite a bit.
Marek Prussak     206-465-2055
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 3:10pm
James, thanks for taking the time to actually post one of the photos. 

Similar to my experience a couple of years ago, someone must have been surfing the web while at work, as they hit me with a quick text shortly following my post.  That person is fist in line, and will be checking out THE SHOE tonight.  If that person doesn't take it, I'll let you know.  Travis - can't tell by your post if you're interested.  But you'd be next in line.  Then mprussak...  As long as it gets surfed rather than used as part of a privacy fence, Chuck and I will be happy.      
chuckj
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote chuckj Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 5:31am
It lives! The Shoe, lives!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jbailey
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jbailey Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 9:20am
If the shoe doesn't fit, I'd LOVE to surf it!!
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 10:24am
The first set of feet to contact me stopped by last night to try things on, and THE SHOE fit.  So it has a happy new home, which closes chapter two of this ongoing saga.  You'll all just have to sit tight and wait for chapter 3 to reveal itself.  Happy paddling, everyone!          
jbailey
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jbailey Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 10:55am
Happy to hear! Hope to see the shoe out in the surf soon!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:44am
Great time to remind people in general that photos are a wonderful way to help people stuck behind a desk escape for a little bit. Post a few up of the Shoe in Action during it's first outing with it's new owner!
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 12:38pm
Oops! I didn't log back in.

I'm not the person for that boat, but I love home made kayaks. I'd like to see more pictures of it though.

Where can I see the "Korb Method" pictures?
H2O please
Mauler!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Mauler! Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 9:51pm
The rumors are true. I have "the shoe" in my dinning room. This is the break I needed.   This boats going to catapult me into legendary status along side names like Lance Armstrong, Jesco White, Rob Mckibbin and Kid Rock.
Taking it to the beach tomorrow.   Never been in ocean water, but I couldn't be happier to give it a go! Thanks to everyone invoved.    Its a sick boat.                        
Not sure how to post pictures? .....anyone find foam to buy around woodinville? Mauler
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 11:07am
kayakoutfitting.com
Wave Sport
Mauler!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Mauler! Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 7:54am
Surfed the shoe on satuday. Kart wheeled more then surfed. Still awesome fun. Glad the boat didn't break. Waves were big and steep at westport. Trying hobuck next time out.
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 8:29am
Yikes!  The surf reports were forecasting some pretty big waves for this past weekend.  Glad the shoe survived!  Before you head out, check some of the surf forecast sites like Magic Seaweed. 
http://magicseaweed.com/Washington-Surf-Forecast/14/

Specific beaches (Westport, Hobuck, La Push, etc.) have certain characteristics (that often change year to year / season to season) that can influence wave shape and break.  But the overall surf height / size is determined by what's going on out at sea.  If they're big at Westport, they'll likely be big at Pacific,  La Push and Hobuck. 

One rule of thumb is that if they're really big on the coast, then surf could be nice on the surf beaches along the Strait of Juan de Fuca.  Such as Crescent Beach.  But there's a bit of voodoo involved in those predictions.  You usually need the swell coming from 270 degrees or more to make it down the strait.  And current direction and wind conditions also play a factor.    

Mauler!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Mauler! Replybullet Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 8:48am
Great find on the foam source ellingferd....thanks
Jalmquist thanks for the beta.....probably trying hobuck next. Looing for folks to go with....hit me up. 417 894 3246 leroy
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version