Professor Paddle: New gauge on the Cascade River vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: New gauge on the Cascade River Post Reply Post New Topic
Fun Eli
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fun Eli Replybullet Topic: New gauge on the Cascade River
    Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 9:29pm
Just FYI for anyone who wants to paddle the Cascade River at some point, you have a new gauge. It is located under the bridge at the Cascade River Park, at the last decent rapid. It's a real gauge and measures in meters/centimeters. Why metric you ask?... because the English measurement system is stupid and gauge height is pretty much an arbitrary scale anyway, so might as well use something easy. I was able to get a bunch of gauge readings on my camera over a wide range of flows with this last rain event. I checked the date/time stamp on the photos and correlated those to the USGS flow (CFS) reading. I have it pretty well correlated, but will be fine tuning my data as I get more. If you happen to float by the gauge, please snap a picture of it and send me a message with date, time, and height in cm.
My preliminary correlation equation is:

CFS = 0.0876X^2 + 15.7X + 195

Just plug in the gauge reading (cm) for X and you will know what the flow is.

Enjoy,
Eli

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Fun Eli
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fun Eli Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:32pm

So apparently the last flood ripped the gauge out of the concrete wall it was attached to. It was anchored with four 3/8" concrete anchors, two of which were ripped out of the wall, and two of them must have ripped out the side of the 2x8 the gauge was attached to because they are still in the wall, but there is no gauge any more

Looking at some of the log jams last weekend, I guess it probably got hit with an old growth or something, because it took a hell of a lot of force to take that thing out. Oh well. Maybe I will try again at some point if I can find a good place to put it that a tree won't destroy it

Please disregard my previous post     
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 8:21pm
I've been doing some work installing wood stuff to concrete lately and the spec is for us to use screws instead of pins. The architect says screws have more bite and shear strength. He's also spec'd out using some large washers along with it. Don't know what the shear rating is for half a log jam grazing by
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
smcboating
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote smcboating Replybullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 7:16am
During that big flood event when the sky hit 100K I was staying in a cabin on the NF Sky that we had rented. We were all mesmerized by the 50-60 freshly uprooted trees that were coming down the river every 10-20 sec. We had a couple nice people stop by and mention that the house usually doesn't flood but trees have taken out parts of the deck. I was skeptical thinking this flood wasn't going to be big enough but as it got about 15k over the 50k forecast and the power was out we decided to abandon ship and go get a hotel away from the river. The next day a big part of the deck was gone!!!Bummer about your gauge and hard work that sucks. How about making a nice stencil and spray painting it on when its super low this winter? I've thought about doing that on Deer Creek. On the Deer Creek take out bridge Mike Nash uses a piece of graffiti that seems to work pretty well.    
If 6 Was 9
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 8:40am
Nash has sprayed on a proper gauge on Deer creek that is very nice.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Fun Eli
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fun Eli Replybullet Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 10:29pm
I might try doing the spray paint thing and see how it goes. The concrete looks scoured after the last flood, so I doubt spray pain will last in that location. I probably just need to find a different spot for the gauge. Thanks for the tips. I will look around some more and see what I can come up with.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version