Professor Paddle: Paddler's Guide to the Olympic? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Paddler's Guide to the Olympic? Post Reply Post New Topic
AtomicMan
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AtomicMan Replybullet Topic: Paddler's Guide to the Olympic?
    Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:25pm
Hey, I'm a paddler from CO and I just moved to the Olympic side of the sound. Liking the stuff I can find on this site and in the Bennett Book, but now that the water's flowing I'm itching to explore the Olympics. I've heard the rumors of the Korb book and even sent him a letter (address is in the Bennett Book), but haven't been able to find a copy yet...

Anyone have one they'd be willing to part with, or know where I can get one? Help a newly local paddler out!

Thanks
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:47pm
http://www.amazon.com/A-paddlers-guide-Olympic-Peninsula/dp/B0006FA310

I have a copy but it is currently lost somewhere in the stacks of Berenstain Bears and Thomas the Train Books.I have changed up my reading lately to something more captivating for my attention span.

Make sure you hit up a few of the OP boaters on this site too, many that frequent this haunt are out an about a lot but not the most overt in their attempt to relish in hi profile media coverage of the days adventure.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
AtomicMan
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote AtomicMan Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 2:07pm
Nice! I think I stumbled on these a while ago and being the newly employed post-college guy I am, I figured I could probably find one for cheaper than $140. If nobody comes through with one I might spring for it though... If you find that copy somewhere in the pile of Berenstein Bears and Thomas the Train Books and wanted to get a little money for it, let me know!

Yeah, I'm hoping to hit up some OP boaters, or really from anywhere. I'll be around on this site a lot more now

Cheers
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 3:04pm
Keep an eye out at used book stores.  A few years ago I found a copy of the 3rd edition in a Poulsbo used book store for $5.  Extra credit if you can find a copy of the hand-written first edition.  What it lacks in breadth and accuracy is more than made up for in character.            
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 4:15pm
Did anyone ever officially de-code the equation to get accurate mileage from Korbs Odometer?
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 9:24am
Just like what happens to "the rules", I'm pretty sure Gary kept changing the equation.  Not just edition to edition, but run to run.  He wanted people to learn to use their sniffer when finding rivers, and experience discovery own their own.  Good thing his guides predated the wide-spread use of public GPS, or many of us would still be lost in the OP hills searching out erroneous coordinates.      
jonlcrain
Paddler
Paddler

Quote jonlcrain Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 9:58am
Best bet to find this book would be in local used book stores around Kitsap County. My copy also came from a used book store in Poulsbo.
AtomicMan
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote AtomicMan Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:19pm
Sounds like I'm going to have to start looking through old used book stores. Thanks all. Anyone getting out on the Peninsula this weekend? I'm comfortable reading and running up to IV+, will run/portage V if the crew is willing to scout. Better way to learn a river is to get on it rather than reading about it anyways!

Edited by AtomicMan - 19 Nov 2015 at 6:19pm
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version