Professor Paddle: Please show up to support dam opposition next Tues vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Please show up to support dam opposition next Tues Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 8:57am
What does this mean?

"the PUD would be required to leave enough water in the river to maintain ecosystem function"
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 9:10am
The construction of the dam would take years and involve enormous impact on the surroundings and the access to that area, including a large amount of heavy truck traffic on Highway 2 and of course the smaller roads leading to the site. There are huge concerns regarding the release of heavy metals into the Skykomish River due to the blasting and tunneling operations. It's not just a question of the amount of water but involves many other issues - although it also appears that the question of water temperature changes due to dewatering and their potential effect on salmon viability has not been adequately addressed. There is also the issue of whether the amount of money spent to build the dam in the first place can be justified considering that it would often be producing power at times of the year when it is not greatly needed and there is a general movement away from seeing hydro as 'green' and moving towards alternative energies such as solar and wind.

Anyway, thank you for posting on that site, it was worth a shot and it's helpful to hear that viewpoint.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Slackkinhard

What does this mean?

"the PUD would be required to leave enough water in the river to maintain ecosystem function"

I hear you, seriously. :)
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 10:04am
My skepticism based on my limited understanding of the construction process has to do with these floods we've seen. It seems to me like it could end up costing WAYYY more than they think. They always make these projects sound cheaper than they are, then they blow up in complexity (think viaduct tunnel, "Bertha" getting stuck, etc.) These floods we've had (two years now-lots of highwater last year, too)- are they going to undermine the process of building this crap? These last floods woulda probably torn that project a new asshole...

Anyway, I agree w/ Blair- a day out of work is temporary, this damn dam is permanent. RALLY!!

Mprussik- make a deal w/ ya: if you show up for this thing I will go paddle w/ ya afterwards!! I'll pm ya
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Nick
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote Nick Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 9:25am
Bump
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 11:03am
Hi River Peeps,
Here's a note from Lora Cox about tomorrow's meeting:

--------------------------------

Hi Folks,

Thank you for being willing to come tomorrow and let the Commissioners know that there ARE people who continue to be opposed to the Sunset Falls project.

Here are the basics for tomorrow's meeting:
Date: Dec 15th
Time:  9 AM
Place:  SnoPUD main office, 2320 California Street, Everett.   
Map/Directions:   http://www.snopud.com/Site/Content/Documents/maps/elecbldg508.pdf
Meeting room is on the first floor.  You will be asked to sign in at the desk at the left side of the room.  

Although the meeting starts at 9, Sunset Falls is not the first item on the agenda.  I doubt Sunset Falls presentation will start before 9:45, but there's no way to predict exactly when it will come up.   The presentation will take at least 30 minutes to give, putting the time for questions and comments starting no earlier than 10:15.

As I originally asked, please stand when I give my comments.  I'll say the people standing are in agreement with what I'm saying.   That way you don't have feel obligated to say anything, but can still express your opposition.     

BUT if you want to say something, feel free!   You can review the presentation and decide if you want to ask questions or make a comment.   The slide presentation is here:      http://www.snopud.com/AboutUs/Leadership/commmtg.ashx?p=1238

Click on the right hand side where it says "Current Board Packet".   Then click on the 12/15/15 Packet which is a pdf file.  The Sunset Falls presentation starts on page 40 of the entire file.  There are 63 slides.  If you look through the slides and have any questions, please ask them.  Conversely, if you have a question but don't feel comfortable asking it, send it to me and I'll ask for you.

If you don't have questions, but would like to give a comment, below is an e-mail that someone wrote to all the Commissioners last week.   Feel free to use any/all of his comments or just use his note as inspiration:

---------------------

Greetings commissioners, I am a SnoPUD rate payer. I live in the Sky Valley and have no interest in seeing the PUD proceed with the Sunset Falls Hydro Project.  The economics are dubious and the impact to the environment will be a permanent scar upon the land.  The Skykomish Valley has become a recreation magnet that has replaced the former industrial uses of the 1900s, the Sunset Falls project is a lingering project from a prior era.  Please put this project onto the shelf and move the PUD into the 21st century with modern energy conservation technology.

--------------------

The contact page for the commissioners is here:  http://www.snopud.com/AboutUs/Leadership/commission.ashx?p=1236

Thanks again for being able to come to tomorrow's meeting, every person makes a difference.   If no one shows up, it makes it easier for them to continue unabated and makes it more likely the project will eventually be licensed.

Lora 

Edited by irenen - 14 Dec 2015 at 11:04am
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Online
  Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 11:39am
Sounds like I'll be showing up past 9 since the Sky stuff won't be right at the beginning. I'll be showing up with my boat on my car and looking to hit the Sky that we love so much afterwards!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 12:01pm
Will she be saying "Greetings Commissioners" just like the joker in the Dark Knight?    
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 2:53pm
To summarize and just make sure most people are aware of when the Sunset Falls stuff is likely to take place tomorrow:

Here are the basics for tomorrow's meeting:

Date: Tuesday, Dec 15th

Time:  Meeting starts at 9 am but the Skykomish presentation will probably not start before 9:45 am.  It takes around 30 mins so Lora's comments will probably not be before 10:15 a.m.

Place:  SnoPUD main office, 2320 California Street, Everett.   
Map/Directions:   http://www.snopud.com/Site/Content/Documents/maps/elecbldg508.pdf
Meeting room is on the first floor.  You will be asked to sign in at the desk at the left side of the room.  

I'm shooting to get there at 9 but sounds like people could get there at 10 and be on time.

Thanks to all who can make it or who are trying to make it, I know it's during a work day.  Cheers.   

huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 3:20pm
Thanks Irene for the update info!
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Slackkinhard

What does this mean? "the PUD would be required to leave enough water in the river to maintain ecosystem function"

Put simply, this means the project will include lots of modeling and analysis to determine a minimum baseflow during summer that must be provided to ensure juvenile salmonids don't die. It's more complicated than that, obviously, but that's the gist of it....
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 6:58am
A big THANK YOU to all who showed up yesterday morning!  There was a really good turn-out of paddlers and other concerned people and when Pete asked for everyone who opposed the Sunset Falls project to stand up it seemed like the whole room stood up. (It didn't hurt that some of the SnoPUD people had given up their seats to the extra people and were already standing up. :) Around 10 people gave verbal comments to the commission, including Nick Hinds regarding the kayaking/recreation side of things, and overall I think for that many people to show up on a weekday morning was really impressive. I'm not overly idealistic and obviously I don't know how things will turn out, but you can only do what you can do and this was one of those things. It was great to see you all there and Lora really appreciated the support. THANKS!
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Online
  Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 12:52pm
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20151216/NEWS01/151219269/PUD's-plans-for-power-facility-at-Sunset-Falls-draws-fire
Nobody likes it and sounds like the PUD has done a good job (sarcasm here) of avoiding doing the appropriate fish studies.
I hope the Sky continues to be maintained as Wild and Scenic and the construction is NOT allowed.
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version