Professor Paddle: moving to WA, have some questions vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: moving to WA, have some questions Post Reply Post New Topic
bottom_dweller
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bottom_dweller Replybullet Topic: moving to WA, have some questions
    Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 6:12am
Hey gang,
I'm moving to WA after spending 15+ years on the east coast. I'm eyeing up B'ham (used to live there) and basically anywhere near Seattle so my GF can attend school for her PHD.
I've been pretty spoiled here and have gotten used to having whitewater within a 10 minute drive from my house. I'm not really a city person, but don't mind being in a smaller city or outskirts of a bigger place, for work reasons and also so my GF can have easy access to school.
Ideally, I'd be in a place where I can go boat right after work...solo/playboating is perfect. Squirt boating, too.
Can anyone offer any suggestions on what towns to live in? We like liberal living, organic gardening, and of course, being outside in the mountains doing various semi dangerous things for fun.
I used to want to live in Port Townsed, but now logistics have changed a bit.

I'm also seeking work as an acupuncturist, specializing in pain and sports medicine. Maybe someone has a connection for work, too?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate any leads/tips/advice. SYOTR
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Mauler!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Mauler! Replybullet Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 8:26am
I like living in woodinville. Its between seattle and the skykomish drainage and usually on the good side of the traffic jams. Housing is expensive any where close to jobs. I moved here last spring. Mauler
AdamG
Paddler
Paddler

Quote AdamG Replybullet Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 8:55am
I'm assuming your GF is going to UW? Living location all depends on your tolerance of commuting and traffic.

My wife is acupuncturist with her own practice in Port Ludlow and also working at a birthing center in Poulsbo, we live on Bainbridge. She has developed a steady practice in Port Ludlow and plans on transitioning it to a new a practitioner in the future - it's primarily a retirement community and she treats pain. You can contact her if that's something you're interested in or regardless, she might have other recommendations for you. I will PM you her email, good luck.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 5:38pm
Hey:

I think I recognize your name from NPMB? I was back east from 05-08. Did you use to run the Dryway in a squirt boat all the time? Either way - welcome.

Do a Google search for "Professorpaddle" and "Relocating" and you may find lots of good info from other folks who have asked the same sort of questions over the years.

Traffic is one of the defining features of life near Seattle, and I think that ultimately people figure that they'll have to drive to and from work much more often than they drive to and from rivers to go paddling, so they wind up living someplace that minimizes their commuting pain much more than it maximizes their proximity to paddling.

Your best odds of maxing out on the "liberal living" score will be in neighborhoods that are north of I-90 and as close as possible to downtown. These are also going to minimize the pain of commuting to UW, and will probably also contain the highest percentage of folks who are into alternative modalities like accupuncture as well.

They will also be the most expensive. Your housing costs of will decrease (very slowly, until you get within a few miles of Snohomish county), and your proximity to paddling will increase, as you go north and east of the city. In the unlikely event that you go south of the city, housing costs will get lower, access to paddling (with the exception of the Green) will decrease.

Good luck!
-Jay
bottom_dweller
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote bottom_dweller Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 6:45am
yup, i used to be a dryrway boater and yup that was me on NPMB...but i think you mean my buddy D--, who always runs the dryway in a black squirt. he's a buddy of mine and i paddle with him pretty regularly. i've paddled it in a squirt a bunch but that river isn't really a great squirt run.
i appreciate your tips and advice a lot. i'm leaning towards the northeast of seattle, for access to the woods and the water. i'd deal with the commute to live outside of the concrete.    
if you ever wanna get in a squirt once i move out there, let me know, i've got a quiver including a lender.
cheers
JayN
Paddler
Paddler

Quote JayN Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 1:41pm
I'm located in downtown Issaquah and I've found that it's a pretty good balance of commute / proximity to paddling. MM is about 20 minutes east of Issaquah and can be had after work in the spring months. Green is about 30 minutes south and the Sky is 45-1hr north. I live right downtown and I'm walking distance to restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc... and it's way cheaper than Seattle. I work in Georgetown (South Seattle) and my commute averages about 45 minutes in the fall and winter and 20-30 in the spring and summer.

That said, there are definitely some pro-tips to keep in mind when it comes to moving to Seattle and dealing with the traffic.

1. Traffic North/South of Seattle is waaaaay worse than East/West. My buddy's commute from Ballard to South Seattle (8 miles) would often take the same amount of time as my commute from issaquah (18 miles)...

2. If you decide to live outside of the city, try to find a spot near the freeway that you'll take into the city. Some of the worst traffic in Seattle can be found on the way to and from the freeways.

3. This is kind of general advice, but if you're stoked on a spot, drive the commute at 8:00am in the morning and 5pm at night before you commit.

4. If you want to paddle everyday, you really should just move to Leavenworth and make your Girlfriend take online classes.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Cheers,
J
bottom_dweller
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote bottom_dweller Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 7:48pm
thanks for the tips fellas.
there is a job in lacey that is kind of sweet. how far from after-work boating is lacey?
leavenworth is more my type of atmosphere
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 8:14pm
The Tilton is the staple run of Lacey/Olympia and there is a small but dedicated crew of boaters down there. If you move there, get to know Big Water Chris.

Edited by septimus prime - 29 Jan 2016 at 8:15pm
Jon Shell Bee
bottom_dweller
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote bottom_dweller Replybullet Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 5:36am
thanks again for all of the feedback.
i'm having a hard time figuring out which rivers are where on the map, aside from a few well-known ones, without having to constantly flip back and forth between the AW page and google maps.
Is there a WA map that has the runs bulleted on it?

thanks again, guys
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 6:52am
There is something like that on this site. Go to the "Home" page and look on the right under the "Quick Links" section for the "De PP Gmap"

Works a little slow for me but it is a nice tool.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version