Professor Paddle: Solo Boating vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Solo Boating Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 11:14am
I was wondering the same thought- about how many solo boaters have life traumatizing or worse incidents? Seems like most tragedies on the river occur when there are others there to witness and assist in rescue if possible, which of course stands for good reason. Few reports occur of solo boaters going missing. Rocky Contos has done many solo expeditions but still walks this side of life. I think we inherently try to tip the odds in our favor when soloing runs, at least most of us.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
runawayjim
Paddler
Paddler

Quote runawayjim Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 12:40pm
AW, ACA and USCG have put together multiple reports and statistics on accidents and fatalities in whitewater vs flatwater and recreational boating, but has anyone seen these stats broken up by the class of whitewater? I assume the majority of fatalities occur on class I to IV- whitewater and I recall seeing a table that supported this a few years back but cannot find it now. I would guess this is due to paddlers on class V typically being more experienced in their knowledge of whitewater and the associated risks as well as being more versed in rescue and safety procedures and being properly equipped (drysuits, throwbags, etc). I've seen too many boaters hop on class IV with a pathetic roll, but I doubt that ever happens on Robe...
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 1:41pm
Anymore suggestions of great stretches to solo boat in the class 2 to easy class 3 range that have a reasonable bike shuttle or hike? I like to do the powerhouse in my playboat and started solo boating that last summer (then just hike up the hill with my boat for exercise), but I was thinking the Headworks section on the Green would be another good one, with a short shuttle or even walk, the Sauk from the campground or Bachman to the lumber yard would be another good class 2 with a not scary bike shuttle.
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by irenen

If dinsdalw wrote a book I would buy it. :)

FACT!!

Megan - Boat whatever get's you stoked!

Options:

-The Green can be very tough to hitchhike a shuttle, but that is a great river to work on skill building with low consequence. Definitely worth the effort when it's in.
-The Amigos section on Tumwater. Huge pools in case something happens and very easy to hitchhike. Awesome place to play and practice moves, build skills.
-The sky. No-brainer here. Everything is walkable, shuttle is all but guaranteed.
-Lower and Upper Icicle. Lower is obviously better for hitchhiking/shuttle but the upper is busy in the summer so it's not too bad.

Matt - I gotta disagree with you whole-heartedly. I didn't have a combat roll for the first two or maybe even three seasons I paddled. I just tried to never flip! I had a pool roll, I just couldn't shake "the fear" when I was upside down. My brother and sister both learned to roll in a pool (and very well) before they got in a hard shell on the river. Neither paddle today. One had a "bad experience" and the other just never contracted the stoke.

I say do whatever you want. If you are uncomfortable paddling with people that do not have a roll, don't paddle with them, just be upfront about it. I think it's awesome when people get out and push their boundaries while they are learning. Obviously, safety talks need to be had and a strategy/buddy system implemented and some caution is due. Our sport is so small and there are so few kayakers; we need to get everyone that has even the slightest interest in kayaking on the water so they can come over to the dark side.

my 2-cents.

Edited by tiziak - 25 Feb 2016 at 4:19pm
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by megspk

Anymore suggestions of great stretches to solo boat in the class 2 to easy class 3 range that have a reasonable bike shuttle or hike?

Lots of options on the OP.  Some options with fairly straight forward (and short) bike shuttles include include the Wynoochee dam to dam (II) and gorge (III w/ P), the Falls (II+) and Narrows (III) of the Humptulips, Middle Matheny (III), Park to bridge of the SF Hoh (III), Park to Riverside and Bear Creek sections of the Sol Duc (both III), lower Dosewallips (II+), and the middle Satsop from the Kelly Hall Rd. access below Fools down to Kelly Rd. or further (II+). With the exception of the Sol Duc runs and a short Hwy 101 section of the Dose, the bike shuttles are on fairly quiet back roads.  The roads accessing the take outs for the Wynoochee Gorge and Humptulips Falls sections are (likely) gated, so expect to hike a bit in addition to the bike shuttle.  All good fun! 

Another class II+ / III option with an easy bike shuttle on quiet roads is the lower Cispus.  Lovely area! 

Locally, what about the upper MF Snoqualmie?  The entire section makes for a nice day, with good views of Mt. Garfield.  The shorter lower section from the concrete bridge down to the closed campground above Island Drop or to the access below Island Drop makes for a nice after-work paddle.  You can quickly bike the shuttle, but it's a nice walk at dusk.          
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 12:47am
Originally posted by irenen

You could get negative props on this and almost any site for saying anything including 'let's heal the sick and feed the poor.' Don't worry about it.

Also got unfriended on Facebook!   HAHA

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 9:00am
Headworks on the Green is a great solo, jog shuttle section.
Powerhouse
Kanasket Palmer
Cedar river slolum and river section. Bike shuttle
MM, but it is kinda remote alone in there.
The Nisqaully is cool solo, but long bike shuttle, I have walked it too.
Sky
Wenanchee
Tieton
Yakima
Clakimus, but can be challenging depending on levels.

Nomad
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 12:30pm
Thanks for all the awesome suggestions! Sounds like I've got some fun trips to look forward too :)

<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version