Professor Paddle: Advice on Columbia River trip vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Advice on Columbia River trip Post Reply Post New Topic
Brandeaux
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brandeaux Replybullet Topic: Advice on Columbia River trip
    Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 3:16pm
Hello and thanks for getting this far into my post!

For my 30th birthday I thought it'd be fun to try and do a leg of the Columbia River. I'm not an experienced Kayaker and neither are the several guys accompanying me. We are able-bodied and aware, not foolhardy types. We're all beginners just trying to have a good time, not any kind of foolish adrenaline rush. So I have a few questions/details:

- This would be happening in mid-July. I'm sure this limits me w/ weather... would central Washington just be too ungodly hot? I don't want to put my friends through absolute hell.
- Looking at a 5-day trip that we'll camp throughout. Any suggestions for a section of the river that is scenic and within our abilities?
- Any suggestions for a one-day safety/basics class, or suggestions for a guide service or freelance guide who would accompany us?

I've only just started scratching the surface with this, perusing The Mountaineers' "Paddling the Columbia". But I'm trying to use every avenue of helpful information possible. Thanks so much for any input!!!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 4:07pm
Yo dawg,
What kind of vessel are you thinking? I recommend canoes for this trip. They are a good tool for unskilled dudes that want to chill hella hard and have fat camps. If you are looking for free flowing sections, there is not a 5 day trip in the state. In Washington, there are several reservoirs on the columbia that will require paddling across (lots of work and dams to portage). I believe that the longest section of free flowing columbia is near hanford. I have done a 2 day trip out of canoes on that section and it was fun (about 1.5 days of freeflowing river and .5 days of reservoir paddling. Have you considered going to eastern montana and floating the Missouri? That is the best multi day canoe camping in the NW. You could put in anywhere around Ft. Benton and float all the way down to Lake Peck (that would be over a week) or some abbreviated version of that. Camping and scenery are spectacular on that stretch and the river is warm, flat and facilitates maximum chilling.
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version