Professor Paddle: NW trip, what would u do vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: NW trip, what would u do Post Reply Post New Topic
ag3dw
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ag3dw Replybullet Topic: NW trip, what would u do
    Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 9:21am
B there prob second wk in May. Yea lots of ?s. So what would u do if u had about a week or so to explore the OP and maybe more of WA? Bringing boats, play boats at a min, camping, can do easy IVs, trip not k1 centric. Don't need to boat every min of every day. Want to see the area and boat some. What are your can't miss faves? Have the Bennet book. Looking for 3-3+ ish so we can boat scout most of the run. Roadside would help for scouting and bike shuttles, shorter runs if weather is not great. Hope to be there on a weekend to join groups. Assume weather will dictate which side of the OP we start on i.e. east side "rain shadow" if stormy and west side if it is nice?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
olyyakker
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote olyyakker Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:26am
Go to the Lochsa in Idaho! OP rivers will be low and Lochsa is world class whitewater roadside.
ag3dw
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote ag3dw Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 1:47pm
Done tons of rivers in ID, Lochsa many times, White sands ck, Payettes, E fk s fk, Deadwood, Boises, Bitch ck, Henrys fk, S & n clearwater, St Joe, Snake, Salmon, Panther Ck, etc. Like to see lots of rivers. Or are u saying stay away? lots of jerks around. Sorry abt dbl post.

Oh Selway, mid fk of course, Jarbidge, Bruneau. Hey looper man, don't worry I'm an old guy and wont show u up too much, it's just boating.

Edited by ag3dw - 23 Apr 2016 at 1:58pm
olyyakker
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote olyyakker Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:03pm
OP rivers will be low. We usually run them with winter rains. Elwa and dungeness will probably go with melt. If you can find a copy of Gary Korb''s Paddlers guide to the Olympic Penninsula you would have a better idea of what might work.
olyyakker
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote olyyakker Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:06pm
I'm old too and have never looped🤓
ag3dw
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote ag3dw Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:13pm
Seems like u have been getting lots of storms w more forecast, thought your rivers would hold up with snowmelt starting? Only copy of Korbs book I could find was $200 on Amazon. Are u saying boat shops will have a copy?
olyyakker
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote olyyakker Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:22pm
No. Rare collectors item. Spring rains don't amount to much.
ag3dw
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote ag3dw Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 8:47pm
Hey Oly, seems I misconstrued your post. I had been seeing the Elwah at above recommended levels and had been skiing the powder after your storms got here a couple of days later and assumed levels would b good. Looking closer, I see the Ho and Sol Doc do look low. My bad. Sorry, thought u were BSing me. So we will look for ocean surfing and cross over to the west side of the Cascades if we want to do much kayaking.
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 10:22pm
It's true that winter is peak of the season on the Olympic, but there are some nice snowmelt runs to do. We just ran the doeswalips after work on Thursday and it had a nice healthy flow. If it's warm when your here you may have a few good options...east side Olympic-hamma hamma, duckabush, dosewalips all flow on melt. North east Olympic Dungeness, graywolf flow on melt. The elwah can be good. The Quinalt and elkhorn are options for lower flows. The Olympics are amazing in the spring, lots of hikes and giant trees to see. Give me a call when your in town. Unlike olyyaker I'll be out boating, not talken sh#t.
Chris 360 791 7316
ag3dw
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote ag3dw Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 11:47am
Thanks Guys, I didn't get that a lot of the OP runs were rainy season. Hearing that Hurricane Ridge got 30' of snow I supposed that there would be snow melt runs. Hard to figure out without the Book. Kept seeing the Elwah above recommended. Looks like we will come up the coast and ocean surf and sup. Doesn't look like there is much public land in SW WA, not state dnr land or fs. Is it private timber land? Are there campgrounds and dispersed camping? Thanks again. Oh, and Chris, what boats should we bring? What class are the runs u mentioned? IV is our upper limit and that is with big boats.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 1:19pm
Well, You know I can't resist puttin my two cents in. And, as eanyone on this forum these last three months can predict, my first suggestion is to check out one of THE crown Jewels of Washington Whitewater- The Skykomish.

Better yet, if you are any kind of lover of Wild And Scenic, Free Flowing Rivers, Please see my Associated Thread titled "File your eComment With FERC Today!"
Hurry! Time is running out!

Snohomish County PUD wants to put a damn on this beauty, and there are ONLY 2 DAYS LEFT to comment. 4/27 is the deadline.

See my other threads titled "Sample eComments"
and "Copy, Paste, Remix and Send".

Add all three together and you can likely file an eComment with FERC in less than 20 min.

Please invest that 20 min. This proposal to dam Sunset Falls is wrong in every concievable way.

Take Action!! then I promise you I will dish up as much beta for your trip as you want! if you wanna call me, I can line you out over the phone too. But till 4/27 I am rustlin up and hustlin up comments.

Paul Revere is riding because the British anin't coming--They are already here. in this case making Fiscally stuPUD decisions that will undermine threatened fish habitiat, cost hundreds of millions, and yet only produce enough power to charge a cell phone. Ok well that last sentence is an exageration,but not by much.

We absolutely know this drainage is more valuable in its protected state of being.

Edited by jP - 25 Apr 2016 at 2:01pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
ODarrow
Paddler
Paddler

Quote ODarrow Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 6:39am
The Wenatchee drainage would be a good start to any trip.
"See what happens"
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version