Professor Paddle: Multiday Meals vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Multiday Meals Post Reply Post New Topic
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote megspk Replybullet Topic: Multiday Meals
    Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 3:38pm
Just wondering what some of your multiday meal suggestions might be for a kayak self support trip!

I've got a few go-tos, but I'd like to widen my meal options. I'm mostly looking for meals I can put together at home, then can just add water to on the river.

Any meal tricks are appreciated also!

Thanks!!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
matthewphoto
Paddler
Paddler

Quote matthewphoto Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 10:24am
Hi,
If you have some time I'd say dehydrating homemade soups and pastas is the way to go. It tastes a hell of a lot better than the pre packaged stuff.

-M
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 11:36am
I go pretty basic with a lot of the ready made meals that you can buy at safe way. Think risotto in the package, or annies mac and cheese. I typically take the pasta out of the box and put it in a bag and bring a small bag of powdered milk and a couple pads of butter. The dehydrated "just add water meals" are ok but over priced and since your not carrying it around weight shouldn't be your number one consideration for a paddling trip.

A heavy boat is a bit slower to go but there have been plenty of holes I've come out that back of because of a heavy rig.

Dufay turned me onto dubliner cheese which I've found keeps well unrefrigerated, and has a bit more kick.

Also, if your not going to be carrying your boat into the put in don't be afraid to have a little water weight. Fruit and other things that I wouldn't want to hike with are great for a self support trip where you don't have to carry and isn't low volume creeking.

For booze I try and mix it up with beer if there is space, wine, and gin and tonics. The wine has a little more octane than the beer and you don't need to carry as much to get your swerve on. Public service, the wine/ gin and tonic combo is best done on a day when you are still well hydrated otherwise you'll be Dick Down in the dirt before the fire goes out.

Have Fun out there.

The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
outdoorjunkie88
Paddler
Paddler

Quote outdoorjunkie88 Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 6:11pm
if you have money and don't like cooking, then go with mountain house but if you like to cook and are creative go with dehydrated. maybe grab a back country or backpacking cookbook. Its a fun way to take up evenings if you have time.

eggs (crack them into a bottle of some sort) and some cheeses do not have to be refrigerated. a lot of veggies stay good for awhile. Tortillas are a great replacement for bread. tuna, pre-cooked chicken, beans, PB, sausage,
tofu are good protein sources

Edited by outdoorjunkie88 - 12 Aug 2016 at 6:15pm
Drew C.
matthewphoto
Paddler
Paddler

Quote matthewphoto Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:00pm
Also, tequila and limes. :)
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 11:18pm
I used to do a lot of multi day trips in California with a guy who was a fishmonger. He would pull out giant slabs of salmon, tuna, giant prawns, in a marinade, and cook them on a flat rock heated up in a fire. He would freeze the bags if it was more than a one night trip, and stuff it inside a down bag in a dry bag to keep ittcool I paddled a prijon rockit, and could stuff a 5 liter bag of wine in front of my bulk head to add to the festivities.

With a big bag o'wine in the bow, I never got stopped in a hole. It was a little tricky keeping the nose up on boofs.

Another guy I paddled with always kept a baggie of instant mash potatoes and a can of sardines in his 1st aid kit. That way he was never tempted to eat it except in an emergency. On the 4th night out, of a 3 night trip, that was some tasty stuff.
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 10:02am
YUM!! Thanks for the ideas!!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

superposer
Paddler
Paddler

Quote superposer Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 10:04am
Costco jerked beef has saved many fishing weekends for myself. also powerbars and ramen noodles.

Im a dirtbag tho and you know this
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version