Professor Paddle: June Multiday Trips vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: June Multiday Trips Post Reply Post New Topic
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote megspk Replybullet Topic: June Multiday Trips
    Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 1:54pm
I actually got some summer vacation next year at the beginning of June.
What are some suggestions of multiday rivers within 10 or 12 hours of Seattle? I'm looking for class 3/4 or easier.
I've done the Rogue and Hell's Canyon a couple times each, so I'm looking for something new that doesn't require a permit, is easy to get cancelled permits on, or a trip that I could possibly add on to!
Thanks in advance!
Megan
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 3:30pm
I read recently that you can do multiday trips on the Klamath river - it's almost all roadside, but apparently pretty remote and the road isn't right on top of the river.
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/state-summary/state/CA/

I don't really know much about it beyond that, but it was mentioned on another forum as a good multiday non permitted river option.

It's not multiday, but given you've mentioned June, if you have not spent some time at the Lochsa you really should try to make that happen. Amazing whitewater, easy to snag shuttles (in general), and lots of people out there.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 9:58am
The Grande Ronde is a nice run. The upper section, starting on the Wallowa River down to Troy is beautiful with nice camping but mostly class 2 with a couple easier 3s. June can be high water though, so there can still be some nice waves. You can also continue all the down to Heller Bar on the Snake river for a longer trip (~80 miles?). The lower section has more private property so I'd talk to someone who's been on it for tips about camping. Also in the lower section, near the end of the run is a section of 3-4 called the Narrows.

I haven't been on the Owyhee, but I hear both the upper (4/5) seciton and lower (2/3) are very nice, but often is too low by June. But you could keep the Owyhee as your top choice and if there's some rain to bring it up, go do that and use the Grande Ronde as your backup plan.

If you liked Hells Canyon, a very similar run is The Lower Salmon is a great no-permit 3/4 run (BUT) in June it is usually high water... meaning the Slide Rapids (about 5 miles up from Snake Confluence) will be huge and likely to flip any and all boats. This time of year most people take out at an alternate takeout above the Slide for a shorter trip.

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/id/publications.Par.25997.File.dat/LSR_BoaterGuide2005.pdf
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:13pm
you need to pack your bags and head to Idaho and do all the classics back to back pre season while soaking in every hot springs you find... lochsa > Selway> Middle fork into the main and finish it off with the lower salmon.. if you want ?
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 9:31am
Thanks for all the awesome suggestions...my list keeps getting longer instead of shorter ;)
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version