Professor Paddle: Experience with river or whitewater SUP? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Experience with river or whitewater SUP? Post Reply Post New Topic
Addler
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Addler Replybullet Topic: Experience with river or whitewater SUP?
    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 8:34am
Does anyone here have experience with river or whitewater stand up paddleboarding?

I know SUP is often not popular with kayaks and rafts, but I like kayaks, rafts, and last summer I played around on a SUP on a small set of rapids, and it was a lot of fun.

But, I was using an inflatable paddle board that was not mine, and I realized that the dang center fin was a real liability. That thing could easily break on a small rock.

So I stopped the river/small whitewater SUPing because I didn't want to damage someone else equipment.

I've been thinking about it ever since and I can't figure out how to solve the problem of the fin.

SUPing without a fin sucks because you can't steer. But if you have a fin and run a river, it's dang near guaranteed to break.

Does anyone know anyone that SUPs on rivers that has a solution to this? Thanks.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 8:27pm
I'd check out:

https://halagear.com/

https://www.nrs.com/category/2811/inflatable-sups/inflatable-sup-boards

If you're on Facebook maybe ask on Wenatchee Valley Kayak Chat, there's alot more whitewater sup-ers on the Wenatchee River. Folks are full of info!
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 11:11pm
I've run all the class II III rivers around here on my earth river board. It's a tri-fin, 3'wide 11' long inflatable. I'm no hero, but I got better after a few mishaps. Kneepads are your friend
Addler
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Addler Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:22am
Originally posted by megspk

I'd check out:

https://halagear.com/

https://paddleboardsurf.com/whitewater-and-river-sups/

If you're on Facebook maybe ask on Wenatchee Valley Kayak Chat, there's alot more whitewater sup-ers on the Wenatchee River. Folks are full of info!

Cool thanks, I'll check that out. I didn't even know that there were SUPs designed specificall to run whitewater. That's awesome!

I wonder what they do with the fins?

I was thinking maybe they make a rubber bendable fin that can handle rocks. Maybe make it out of the same material as a floppy putter for disc golf?

Edited by Addler - 16 Jul 2020 at 10:41am
Addler
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Addler Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Slackkinhard

I've run all the class II III rivers around here on my earth river board. It's a tri-fin, 3'wide 11' long inflatable. I'm no hero, but I got better after a few mishaps. Kneepads are your friend

Kneepads are a great idea! Do you wear a helmet? I was thinking when I was doing it that it wouldn't be a bad idea if I had a helmet on.

Have you ever had a problem with your fins breaking? That seems to me to be a problem, but maybe it's not as bad as I'm guessing.
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:27am
The WW sups are sweet! I think some have fins that are removable and on the ww sups the fins are much smaller. But I'm no expert!

megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:31am
Always wear a helmet and pfd for sure. Knee and elbow pads can be used depending on how low the water is. I would not recommend using a leash on whitewater until you learn more about that. There's a special attachment you can use to use a leash safely on the river, but NEVER attach it to your ankle and body on a river, there have been recent fatal accidents related to this, especially on rivers.

Addler
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Addler Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:35am
Holy smokes, I never even thought about how dangerous it can be to have a leash on, while on a river. Great point, thanks!
Slackkinhard
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Slackkinhard Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 1:04pm
I generally wear a helmet on all rivers. The leash I attach to my rescue vest. Any type of rope in the water has some danger to it. Make sure you can release yourself from it. My board has 3 short hard plastic fins. I need to avoid things that come within about 4" of the surface, but I've failed at this a few times and the knee/shin guards showed their merit. First time on Wenatchee I didn't have them, smashed knee into a rock and walked funny for a while. I've since learned to fall 'better' but ya don't always have control of it.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version