Professor Paddle: All new equipment. vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: All new equipment. Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2006 at 8:48am
Does anyone know about the BlisStick Scud? Looks cool and may suit my needs?
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2006 at 8:50am
I guess there is no one boat that can do it all?
Nomad
dylan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote dylan Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2006 at 11:39am

I paddle an EZG, and I like it. I've even taken it down creeks.

-Dylan
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2006 at 2:04pm
Ya, I liked the looks of the EZG, but everyone here says they are no good? I don't know anything though and am getting more confused, all I know is that I am not hard core and just like to screw around and have fun, so..........
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2006 at 2:15pm
Everyone paddles different and you know that... The bottom line is that your still a playa at heart. Your always going to want to play around, and I doubt you will ever want to start doing the crazy creeking. If that is the case then you want a playboat that will be comfy and river run well. The EZG is not a playboat it is a river runner and it in my opinion will not suit you well. The Blisstick boats are heavy and shaped poorly for big folks. The Jackson boats are the same. Big guys like us don't fit the shapes well. The Liquid Logic Big foot vision looks cool but it is too small for me. The project is an amazing boat though. It is every bit as playful as my air, but the added volume and length make it an amazing riverrunner too. The scud by the way is a super techical boat. Its really only great for super tight technical creeks, although i have seen a guy at the mosh pit with one throwing down .

Simple advise ... get the gear and then go boating with different people that have the boats you want to try. You know the drill dude. Stop acting like such a boob. I have a project and an air 55 that you can use... lets go boat!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2006 at 5:29pm
The 4fun is a boat I would like to try, but your right James, going to get some gear in a few weeks and then start trying boats. I'm just trying to find a lineup to try. Oh, BTW, how much are the beer mug booties?
Nomad
Eddie Hog
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Eddie Hog Replybullet Posted: 31 Dec 2006 at 11:01pm
Dave,
    I'm a bit bigger than you at 6'6" and 250 with 36" inseam and size 12 clown shoes.  I have a Pyrana Stretch that is a large volume, comfy boat that surfs well and plays well.  You might want to check it out.  I live in Monroe and if you want to demo it while trying to decide let me know.

John

Edited by Eddie Hog - 31 Dec 2006 at 11:02pm
The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
Joe_Holt
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Joe_Holt Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 5:00pm

Earlier this fall, I bought a Dagger RX 6.7 and have been very happy with it.  It is a solid river runner and fair at being a play boat.  It surfs and cartwheels easily, but I’ve yet to get a loop, flat water or otherwise out of it.  Much of the volume is in the stern, which makes loops harder.  Probably a better boater could loop it, but I can’t.  Anyway, they make a 6.9 that will accommodate a 225 lb paddler.  I bought mine from Charles at Aquasports and have been very happy with it.  If you’d like to give it a try you’d be more than welcome.

Joe

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 6:20pm
Thanks guys for the Beta, I will be trying out some boats hopefully in Feb. after I get a much needed gortex dry suit!
Nomad
Willy
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Willy Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 10:15am
Dave - Jackson boats have a little more room this year. Seems like you've figured that out already if you have your eye on the 4Fun at your size/wieght range. EJ caims that I, at 6'3" 200lbs, will be able to fit in the new Fun, where in the old version I was just a tad big for the 4Fun and had to stick with the Super, which had too much volume for me to toss around.

I agree with the comments made about the Pyranha Stretch too.  One particular big dude (really big boy, 265 or so) bought a SuperFun from us, sank the stern too much, didn't like it, got a Stretch instead and really digs it.

LL CR 250 also would be good to try out. And yes James looooves that Project. You should definitely try that one too.

Regarding dry suits, keep in mind that only Kokatat uses American labor with real Goretex. If that means anything to you. Their Meridian suit comes standard with pee zip and gtx socks. Palm and Stohlquist are about 2/3 the price for comparable models made offshore with their proprietary, non-Gore waterproof/breathable material, and Immersion Research has one coming which is in the same price range, but we haven't seen it yet.  

Where to buy... of course at your local shop, wherever that may be.

Bill
Ruby Creek Boathouse LLC
Eddyline, Stohlquist, Bending Branches, Esquif, Skwoosh Cushions, Costa Del Mar shades, Danuu, CRG Rec Repair, Pakboats, YakGrips
http://rubycreekboathouse.blogspot.com/
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 11:50am
So, I have been shopping around for a Drysuit and here is what I found. I wanted to buy locally, but there is a shop in Oregon right off of I-5 that not only beats everyones prices around here, but has no sales tax! They are around $50.00 less expensive and no tax, so I save around $135.00. I still want to shop locally to support our local economy and am going to buy locally, but some better pricing around here would be nice. What is the markup on a Kokatat gmer dry suit anyway? 
Nomad
Willy
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Willy Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 6:06pm
Dave - most shops around the Seattle area will give you a discount (the amount varies) if you're a member of an organization that promotes conservation and water access. Like AW, WRRR, WWTA, WKC. If you call around locally you'll find your local shops are motivated to keep you shopping here.
Ruby Creek Boathouse LLC
Eddyline, Stohlquist, Bending Branches, Esquif, Skwoosh Cushions, Costa Del Mar shades, Danuu, CRG Rec Repair, Pakboats, YakGrips
http://rubycreekboathouse.blogspot.com/
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 6:37pm
Ya, I'm going to shop around here, but am getting frustrated both waiting for funds and trying to find a good deal.
Nomad
greenfieldja
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote greenfieldja Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 1:11am
Have you thought about the dagger g-ride?  I got one after a bunch of years paddling boats that I was too heavy for and absolutely love it.  It is playboat in shape but has good volume distrobution and can be use for just about anything.  I am not much of a playboater, being in the navy on sea duty I barely have any time to paddle so I mainly stick to river running when I can and try to surf stuff on the fly.  I have heard of people using the g-ride for light creeking as well.  I love mine and wouldnt trade it for nuthin.  Only thing is you would be hard pressed to find a brand spankin new one as dagger doesnt make em any more.  Are there other boats that are just as good or better? Sure.  But I bet if you try a g-ride you will be impressed.
-Jeff
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2007 at 10:30am
So I finally purchased a GMER Kokatat at Aqua Sports and received both excellent customer service and pricing. I have purchased gear from the Aqua man in the past and he has always met my high expectations as a savy consumer (He even kept my watch safe when I left it on a box in his shop). So, I will most definitely be returning there to both demo the WaveSport lineup and purchase more gear.

The customer service and information you receive from a local shop owner rather than an online dealer is sometimes worth the extra couple of dollar's (in some cases even saves a few bucks).

So now that I have Gortex I can finally get wet again!
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2007 at 6:12pm
OK, got some more gear today and Demoed a Project at the power house! Sweet boat, I can see why you like it James! Man it rolls easy! The only problem I have is that I can only sit in it for about 20 min. before my feet cramp and my ankles hurt. So, I am still wanting to demo an EZG, it has alot more feet room.
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2007 at 8:04am
Now I'm looking at a Wernaer bent shaft 15 deg. feather. I like the way the 15 Deg. feels in my hands, but havn't paddled one yet. It feels more natural in your hands than a 0 Deg. feather. What do you guys think?
Nomad
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2007 at 9:50pm
I have a carbon fiber bent shaft werner player with 15 degree feather and LOVE IT!!  I think it is just about the perfect feather for a paddle if you plan on playboating and running rivers/creeking.  I highly recommend the 15 degree.  I'll be at the meadowbrook pool session tomorrow night if you are interested in checking it out.
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version