Professor Paddle: tilton vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Trip Discussion's
 Professor Paddle : General : Events : Trip Discussion's
Message Icon Topic: tilton Post Reply Post New Topic
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote huckin harms Replybullet Topic: tilton
    Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 8:23am
 work darn it
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 8:33am

Holy Schmoly, it worked.  I'll be darned.  Now what was that trick.  There is a quote by some scientist that goes like... " the greatest discoveries in science are not made by those that say "Eureka (I got it)!", but by the one's who say, "now that's funny...."

OK, so after several unsuccessful attempts to post this trip, I stopped putting in the details.  Here's the details:

The trip should leave Seattle area by 8ish.  I live in Fed Way, and it takes aprx 1hr40min from here to put in.  My wife is down for running our shuttle, which should shorten up things time wise.  I have a friend coming and know of another party who will be rafting it (poor souls - misery on the paddle out). 

The earlier the start the better.  That's key cause we all work monday, and the park managers like to close the gates at dusk. 

We can work out car pool ideas as we figure who all is interested. 

huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 8:34am

One more note.  My name is Mike Harms aka huckin harms 

cell # 253 350 5403

jihad
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jihad Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 9:01am
mike, I would love to join you. I live in Centralia, so it is a short drive for me. just let me know where to meet and when.
jared

ps. My phone is broken and I don't know when it will get fixed, so if you can't reach me at (360) 736-8415 just post any info you have.

Edited by jihad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 9:36am
This will be a sweet level tomorrow ... at least I would think so. Like 1800... nice play.
holdenj
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel
Kayaking Skiing

Quote holdenj Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 1:32pm

Tilton tomorrow

I would like to join you guys tomorrow on the Tilton.  I leave it at Probably Go just in case the river level gets too high overnight.  I have done the run at about 950, and the current level of 2250 is a lot higher, but should be OK and rivers are expected to drop overnight by the river forcast center.

Contact Information
I also live in Federal Way at

5126 SW 320th Street,
Federal Way, WA
Today phone  home at 253-835-4319
Cell tomorrow at 253-250-5480 only day of the trip.

Please phone 253-924-2524 to make final arrangements.
I left a message on your phone.  Thank you for posting it.  I would like to talk to you. 

I can leave Federal Way at 8:00 too.  Where shall we meet?
I have a State Parks Pass so we can meet at the Park and leave my car there.

I may have met you on the Tieton in September.  I was leading a club trip but the people had not yet show up.  James may remember me from the Skykomish because he videoed me rolling twice in the hole by the House rock in Boulder Drop.

Please give me a call to confirm.

Jeffrey Holden
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2005 at 6:05pm

Here's an update. 

Federal Way at 8am.  Leave by 8:30.   Were meeting at my place where we can arrange shuttle plans.  As it stands my wife is driving our rig which will carry five and boats.   She will run our shuttle, bless her big heart.  So if you are joining on at this point... you may have to drive,  as it seems one seat is up for grabs.    Even still, shuttle should be simple.  Drive to put in, our driver at takeout takes drivers back to put in.  Sorry for the dummy down. 

Plan is to leave Federal Way by 8:30, meet Jared in Centralia @ 9:30.  Then 45min heehaul to the Put in.  Try to be putting on by 11am.  Last Jan we ran it at 1200 and it took us 3and1/2 hours to do the run.  We got off kinda late due to a late start and the seeming endless lake paddle.  The park manager was very kind, but I'd like to avoid the clean up in the dark. 

Sorry for being so regimented.  Experience has taught me that good times    favor the well planned and prepared.  Although everything is flexible and open to changes outside our control.  Selah

So keep an I on the levels and get a good nights rest. 

Give me a call if your joining, not past 9pm, thanks.  6am is cool. 

Mike Harms

253 350 5403

huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2005 at 7:48am

QUICK TRIP REPORT

First a big shout out to all the paddlers who signed on with this trip.  Nine total in our party-

Jared, Brian, Katie, Eric, Liam Reese, Jeff Holden, David Chatham, Dave Morales, and me.  

What made this group so stellar is the level of awareness for safety.  I think all would agree that the run was a solid class IV but forgiving in many ways.

We put on the river at 11:40 and took off (following the lake paddle) at 2:40, some sooner.  The level was apx. 2500cfs and dropping.  Pushy and squirlley in places but fun and forgiving.  Several of the main playspots were washed. There were a couple scouts but most of the rapids were read and run.  One notable change has occurred on the significant rapid named Leap of Faith.  The BIG rock that used to sit in the center, at the bottom, creating two channels, is now GONE.  Hard to figure, but it's just as if it was never there to start.  And it was a biggie.   Anyrate, this has made the run out at the bottom of the rapid much easier, with consequences substantial reduced.   

Thanks to David Chatham's ambition, beers were put on hold for a quick bomb down the NF Tilton - 35min.   A big thanks to Liam R. for keeping the priorities straight, to Dave Morales for probing the horizon lines, and to David C. for keeping the torch lit while the daylight remained.  Oh, and to my wife for running our shuttle rig in circles around the Tilton watershed.  A most memorable and excellent Tilton trip. 

huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2005 at 8:14am

And one more note of thanks goes out to James the Professor of Paddle for making this trip possible through this site.  An excellent production of modern day media.  Looking forward to meeting the man behind this madness.

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version