Professor Paddle: New and have questions vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: New and have questions Post Reply Post New Topic
cataraft_jon
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cataraft_jon Replybullet Topic: New and have questions
    Posted: 26 Feb 2007 at 10:05pm
Hello all,
I'm getting in to rafting on my own (i have been down the sandy, john day, and deschutes but never in my own boat) and will be purchasing a cataraft at the beginning of summer.
Being new I'm looking for resources (websites, other forums, books, word of mouth, ect..)
to get good information for a first time solo river runner, I purchased "soggy sneakers" but find that most of the runs are short day trips, or have class 3+ that I'm not quite up to tackling yet.

I guess to start out with I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendations for 2-3day (fri,sat,sun) trips on some scenic rivers in oregon or washington up to class 2+ish
the last deschutes trip i took was from warm springs to sand beach, and that was and amazing trip, just to give an idea.

Please bestow your wisdom upon me, I'm chomping at the bit to get going!!

Thanks
I'm New School Me
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2007 at 11:10pm
The Grand Ronde should have some multi day trips that you'd do fine on.  High water might make the narrows on the lower section a bit of a challenge, though.  Washington doesn't have as much in the way of multi day trips (I can't really think of anything off the top of my head).
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
cataraft_jon
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote cataraft_jon Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2007 at 3:54pm
Thanks I will have to go get a map, do you have any put in's take out's in mind?
I'm New School Me
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2007 at 4:24pm
If I remember right, the put in is in Troy, Oregon, and the takeout is where the Grand Ronde meets the Snake. The narrows (the crux rapid of the run) is near the end of the run. If you haven't already, pick up a copy of Jeff Benett's 2nd edition guidebook. It'll have all the information you're looking for.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version