Professor Paddle: Any beta on the Nooksack II-III Runs? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Any beta on the Nooksack II-III Runs? Post Reply Post New Topic
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Wiggins Replybullet Topic: Any beta on the Nooksack II-III Runs?
    Posted: 04 May 2007 at 1:47pm
I have been living up north for two years now and have never been on any of the Nooksack runs. I probably would have done the South Fork if Crown Paper had not gated off the put-in. I found another  put-in about ten miles up stream off Baker Lake Rd. A few months back I arresticated a mountain man who lives in a shack on the Crown Paper property just off the river. On the way to jail he said between the old put-in and the access point off Baker Lake Rd there is a thirty foot waterfall, and didn't know anything about the rapids. Any beta on this section? This could be a cool multi-day trip.

Anyone know anything about the Douglas Fir Campground to Mt Baker Wilderness run on the N. Fork?

Kyle

Edited by Wiggins - 04 May 2007 at 1:50pm
I smell bacon
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2007 at 2:03pm

The class III section from the Doug Fir CG down is fun.  Unfortunately the best part of the run is the upper 1/3rd.  After the canyon there are just braided channels and gravel fans.  My understanding is that locals bypass the lower section and run laps in the canyon by taking out at Glacier Creek? which involves a bit of a hike out. 

... preparing for a river beating!     
mike
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mike Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2007 at 2:26pm
You can hike up the Glacier Creek basin (5-10min max) or there is a trail that leads you into "downtown" Glacier a little ways below the Glacier Creek confluence on river left.  Didn't know anything about that 30 footer though, that sounds sweet.
eternal
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote eternal Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 4:30pm
What happens after Maple falls? Is it just a lazy float all the way to bellingham? Anything dangerous between maple falls and ferndale? A few friends and I want to float all the way from glacier and want to make sure there's nothing we might accidentally run across on the way. Any info would be useful.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 6:54pm
Back in 1980, a high-school buddy and I "ran" the Nooksack from Mosquito Lake Road out to Bellingham Bay in an open fiberglass canoe.  I had no idea what a back eddy was back then and was rather shocked when we were suddenly facing upstream for no apparent reason!

Anyhow, the main hazard all the way down to the saltwater is wood.  I just read about a group of sea kayakers that came across a river wide log jam down near  Marietta.  One actually got pinned against a log, but was able to hop out of her cockpit (and onto the log.)  Not a good situation, even in sluggish water.

John
dylan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote dylan Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 8:41pm
Hay,

I have run from near the Silver Fir Campground (Milepost 45-46) to the turn out above  Misto Canyon. This reach of river is high up there in scenic value, but be aware of the burl that lay downstream. Unrunable entrance falls followed by steep and crazy sums up the run between mile 42 and Nooksack Falls.

There is also a canyon up above Misto that is not for class II-III boaters.

But.

I digress.

I have also run from the base of Nookie Falls. It's class II-III until the steepness that is Horseshoe Bend. Walk this if you are not up to it.

Otherwise! Put in at Douglas Fir Campground for the goodness that is the canyon run on the Nooksack. Be aware of logs, there is at least one in the canyon that is river wide.
Beyond that, it is a II-III splash fest in a secluded crevice.

-Dylan

jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 11:01pm
the flats above horseshoe bend are not a good place to take a beginner.  we floated it two weeks ago mining playspots.  it is the gnarliest class II i have ever been on.  it is like a maze of logs.  never before have i been so gripped in braided channels.   put in below the bridge @ douglas fir cg.  after a few miles, the canyon will open up and you will run a boulder garden, then look for where glacier creek comes in on river left.  just below that, there is a small trail that will take you up to grahams with a few minutes of hiking.  oh yeah, one other thing...if there is a problem, please hike out on river left...NOT RIGHT (there is nothing on the river right until you get to the border).

J
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
dylan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote dylan Replybullet Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 8:32am

Jon makes a really good point. There are logs everywhere on the Nooksack. If you do float past the Glacier take-out, there are several places where you have to make moves to avoid them.

Gabe
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Gabe Replybullet Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 11:34am
Kyle,

the best part of the Douglas Fir - Maple Falls run on the NF is the canyon (first 1/3rd of the run or so). If you do  run the braided class  II section down to Maple Falls, there are a couple of log jams. At least since I've been running it over the last 3 years, one requires a portage. This big pileup comes in the last 1/4 of the trip, and my landmark has always been a big, lone oak tree that is visible from a good distance upstream (not many oaks on the river). The log jam is in a river left channel, and we portage over the island to the right. It's a serious pile.  Anyone know if this is still clogged up?

Gabe
Pura Vida!
refried
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

snowboarding,kayaking

Quote refried Replybullet Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 12:28pm
I ran the Doug Fir to Maple falls section a couple weeks ago and didn't have to portage anything at 1300, the logjam before Maple Falls is still there, but we were able to sneak past it on river left. at lower flows the log will be too high to float over, but friends got a 13' raft over it with out a problem, and kayaks had no problem, scout it first though. We also had lots of room at the tree after the canyon, but had to stay right to avoid it.
Patty
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Patty Replybullet Posted: 05 Jul 2007 at 5:20pm
I live in Bellingham and have been wondering about the Douglas Fir to Glacier section of the Nooksack.    I am a novice paddler - feel comfortable doing the Big Eddy Run at 4000 cfs and would like to find closer runs than the Skykomish to get out more often.  I know American Whitewater recommends between 600 and 2000 cfs, any recommendations for levels on a first-time run.    Does anybody in Bellingham run this section routinely?  Perhaps after doing the Horseshoe Bend section?
Also, any other runs that might be appropriate near Bellingham to gradually increase experience.  It seems like everyone else in Bellingham is a Class IV + boater! 
Thanks,
Patty
Patty
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 05 Jul 2007 at 9:14pm

Patty...every thursday a large group of boaters meets at the IGA in nugents corners at 5:45ish...some of the group does the bend, some do the canyon (douglas fir to glacier) and others do both.  all are welcome.

jon
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version