Professor Paddle: Save Skook! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Save Skook! Post Reply Post New Topic
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ryan Replybullet Topic: Save Skook!
    Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 10:07am
I saw this blog post from Trip Jennings this morning.  I'm sending an email later today.

http://broadbandsports.com/athletesVoice/epicocity/2007/06/save-skookumchuck.php
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 10:21am
Also check out

http://www.effort.tv/blog.htm.

It has some of the same info about saving the environment as well as an awesome video of Chris Gragtmans, Spencer Cooke, and others going off at Skook.

Sent my email yesterday, let us hope that the logging does not happen.

Edited by kayaktheworld - 04 Jun 2007 at 10:32am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 10:31am
BUMMER
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 11:21am
Here is the full text looks like a letter was written from the Citizens of Egmont.

Save Skookumchuck!

The Skookumchuck Narrows is under attack from logging companies that want to clear cut not just the land across the narrows, but also the forest surrounding the trail and camping areas.

- Copied From Email -
The village of Egmont, BC, is asking for the help of all kayakers who have ridden (or aspire to ride) the waves of the Skookumchuck Rapids. We have learned that a logging company has acquired the logging license in this area. The logging plans involve three huge clear cuts on the local watershed with one that extends right to the Skookumchuck Trail within the Provincial Park. Also, there is a planned cutblock that would mow down the trees along Egmont Road from Highway 101 to North Lake; a huge cutblock off of Maple Road; and another cutblock on the watershed at the north end of Ruby Lake. As well, the company plans to log Sechelt Nation Reserve lands just inside the Sechelt Inlet just past the rapids.

The residents of Egmont asked if the logging company would take a sustainable logging approach but they said no and so the area's residents have said no to the logging company. We now ask for your support to keep the logging out of this area. We ask that you email the forestry rep before a June 6th deadline at
cam_forrester@dccnet.com
and copy that email to us at skookumnarrows@yahoo.ca

Please address your email to:

Cam Forrester, R.P.F., Consulting Forester
6231 Sunshine Coast Highway, Sechelt, BC V0N 3A7
Tel: 604-885-7142, Fax: 604-885-7112
Email: cam_forrester@dccnet.com

We will be posting all information about this proposed logging and our efforts to stop it on our blog at
www.saveourwatershed.com. We look forward to your support.

Sincerely,

Friends of Egmont
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 12:01pm
My email.
This is an email to let the above party know that proposals to start timber harvesting around the Skookumchuck narrows on additional properties is completely opposed by myself and the community I organize. We have over 4800 members who are ready to financially contribute in a effort to save these resources. Legalities aside this area of geography has already been ravaged by local land & resource developers. The current operation on the east side of the Skookumchuck narrows has already devastated a pristine area of wildlife far removed from human interaction. Any further development would not only place at risk this local ecosystem, it would also change a Globally unique location that is un-replaceable by man kind. Before any development of these resources begins, I will participate in a provincial hearing to suggest that the development of Amazonian Rain Forests, the Hoh Rain Forest in WA, and other national treasures should be considered less devastating than this location. This is simply because of the unique nature of the environment you are planning on affecting. Devouring the ecosystem of a Globally Unique location such as the Skookumchuck Narrows would be un-reversible and would also pave the way for the destruction of many other last remaining resources in our world.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 12:58pm
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 1:39pm
Nomad
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by dave

couldnt have said it better myself.
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 6:33pm
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 6:55pm
What is going on up north? It seems like the whole place is being destroyed from coast to coast.....
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 7:00pm
My last email to Anita:

Anita,

Thanks. I am glad that we have people working in and for this area. I can not place enough emphasis on the impact this location has made in my life. I personally find this whole battle very ironic. To me the Skook has always represented a place of power, a location where we can observe the amazing forces that move silently and unseen through our world. I find it Sad but also exciting that this unique location has no power over its future. Ironicly those who have submitted to and gazed at the force of the Skookumchuck Narrows are now those with the Power to protect it.

I count myself as one of the many determined people that will do what ever it takes to protect this area. I will stay up to date on this issue and would appreciate it if you would be willing to add me to the email list for updates. Below are a few links to online communities that I will be making updates at regarding this issue.

workskipper
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler
Chief Wampum

Quote workskipper Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2007 at 7:38pm
This is disturbing! 
I would never dream of skipping work to boat!
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 10:33am
Sent mine:

I was recently made aware of the planned logging operation near Egmont, BC and the Skookumchuck Rapids. Given the unique nature of this area, the recreational and tourist opportunities near Egmont, and the potential environmental and financial impacts of the operation, I am greatly concerned about the logging company's refusal to take a sustainable approach. I urge you to consider the massive impacts this operation will have on a globally unique location, and the effect this will have not only locally, but on communities worldwide that have an interest in the area.

I sincerely hope you consider these concerns, along with those of other interested and affected parties.

Remember everyone, one more day to get your voice heard.

Edited by Yotes - 05 Jun 2007 at 10:34am
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 11:13am
OK Read Slowly.... This was what Skook looked Like years ago!

And amazing sight I am sure.... Wish I could have seen it!

This is the Skook I have always known

It is still amazing but quite different huh?

Lets Go Everyone that Reads this needs to send an EMAIL TODAY

Were Talking about SKOOK HERE

This is GLOBALLY UNIQUE FEATURE AND LOCATION... Now Imagine it in 5 Years at this rate....

What was skook could look like this

How can we let that Happen... Write NOW!!!

Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2007 at 3:44pm
Suck city !!
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version