Professor Paddle: Eagle Falls Solo Mission vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Eagle Falls Solo Mission Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 11:18am
How did this thread go from some stoke to a lecture on risk? 

I certainly wouldn't run Eagle Falls or climb 5.10 solo, but I like to hear about it when it's done.  I used to teach a college research methods and stats class so I'm all about numbers, but what's the deal with this 1% analyzation stuff.  Where'd that number come from anyway?

Arn, I guess I'm not understanding the purpose of your question on what our reaction would be if someone died. 
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 11:43am
edit: felt the need to delete. its not my deal.

Edited by ashleygoesdisco - 06 Jun 2007 at 6:36pm
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
mike
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mike Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 11:54am

If you follow Arnos train of thought, you could pyscho-anaylze boating, and lecture people with much more developed and/or advanced boating skills that chose to take on a more significant risk that what you may deem safe for you.  Advanced boaters take their playboats down creek runs, boat scout class V rapids and do a million other things that they may be comfortable with, that you may not be.  Bottom line is that you could probaly chose to mitigate your percieved risk of running Eagle Falls with more safety, but than again, I have set safety on this drop for two very good boaters and we all discussed before they ran it that you are bascially on your own once you drop into it and that your ability to hit your line and run the drop cleanly is more important than the limited scope of safety that we were able to set on the drop. 

If you are a class III boater, I'm not really sure what you are thinking lecturing a class V boater about something that you had nothing to do with and on an issue that you may not really know much about.  Class III boaters don't read or run rapids in the same fashion that class V boaters do.
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 12:10pm
mike, you still in bham? still have not got to paddle with you, but would like to someday.
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 12:10pm
Mike-

Arnold's analysis of this is actually spot on. Just because he is a Class III boater does not mean that he lacks the capacity to criticize a one who boats Class V.

Also, I am a Class V boater. And I also said this was a bad, stupid choice (not that he doesn't have the right to make that choice). So yeah, Arn shouldn't be taking all the heat for this. Others feel the same way.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 12:12pm
Look, I don't want to lecture anyone.  I'm just trying to understand how people look at risky situations (for their own skill level) and the 1% risk thing was just an example to simplify the discussion.  I think it is super cool that there are people in the world that are willing to do amazing sporting events and accomplish things that I would never consider.  I'm super stoked about that also.  I am the first to say that I don't know jack about class V boating but a class V boater is still making a decision about risk on a particular run (albeit with more skill than I'll ever have).

When I watch a Twitch video, I think it is super cool.  But, what I didn't realize (until someone told me) is all of the safety those guys set, the dummies, empty boats, etc. that they send over the falls before hand to gather more information, scouting, studying, etc.  To me, it is still crazy and I wouldn't do it but they are doing tons of things to mitigate risk and then they are making some decision that is right for themselves.  Unfortunately, to the average person, it looks like they are just heading out and hucking themselves over the falls.

The purpose of my question is simply to understand whether everyone is congratulating someone and celebrating the outcome (which everyone thinks is cool) or you are also celebrating the way in which they achieved the outcome.  I consider myself, in general, rather risk averse, some bad decisions aside.  I'd really like to understand how others look at it.  That is all.

And, I'll reiterate, once again.  I am the first person to defend someone's right to whatever they want to do with their lives.  Their lives, their choices.

Edited by arnobarno - 06 Jun 2007 at 12:17pm
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 1:26pm
R.I.P.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 2:40pm
This is radical... holy Mackerel ....

I can't believe that some many people have so much to say about this one. I could totally be wrong here folks but if I know Jake, trash talk is what this whole thread was about to begin with.... He baited all you monkeys... and .... now hes baiting me!

Ask Dave if he is more scarred when he is soloing 50 feet off the ground or 5000 feet. He will respond... Whats the difference ... You fall you die. Ask him what the ratio of risk divided by the compound percentage of indigenous caucasion african american males living in or around lake Titicaca is... He will not know what the heck your talking about just like I don't with half the posts up above. I love the internet.

Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Jeff Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 3:36pm
???  I'd still like some beta on the drop...
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 3:49pm
Stay right. 
... preparing for a river beating!     
ALCOHOLIC
Paddler
Paddler

Beware of the Boob

Quote ALCOHOLIC Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 5:16pm
Blah blah blah, you guys need to shut up and go get in your boats! James, hahaha, your hilarious, you totally called me out dude! I posted that shit with a big grin on my face figuring somebody would start crying about safety issues... For the dude who called me stupid all I have to say is fifty people with rope bags aint doin shit at that level brother! Just hold your breath and you'll flush, worst case scenario, lose my boat and paddle. I've ran that drop a bunch of times at many different levels and I think that is the safest level yet.. Too much water pushin through there to get stuck anywhere.   Unless a piece of re-bar went up my ass, then I would drown like a stuck pig... Jeez, that would kind of suck.. Unless there was proper safety of course.   Oh, by the way, when I ran that, I totally forgot to buckle my helmet cause I was so drunk...

As for anybody who knocks Dave for cliimbing without ropes you obvioulsy don't know Dave so shut the hell up!
Masturbating Monkey
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 5:56pm
I have paddled in 4 countries and 20 states. I have never before seen a community applaud an act that demonstrates disregard for the dangers of the river. Not only that, but in this thread, people criticized those who have legitimate concerns about safety.

So I give up trying to convince people. Bye, PP.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 7:03pm
I would hardly say the community is applauding his act. Whether you like it or not your part of the community and your not applauding at all , niether are alot of others in this thread.

Like I said before and like Jake confirmed, This whole thread was a plan to rustle folks like KTW up and I can't believe it has gone this far. My goodness jake ... How the heck does running a drop with out safety become a concern for everyone to discuss and whine over. I just don't get it. I still think your nuts and I would not do it but gees...

As for Arno, Leave him alone KTW he is just talking about risk assesment. And he has alot of good points. To a hard core boater like Jon boy it just seems like the repetitive nature of the posting required a bit of slappin cause thats jon's style. I think your going a little deeper than you need to in this one.

arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 7:37pm
Well, I for one am not trying convince anyone of anything - I'm merely posting repetitive and long-winded comments trying to understand how people in the community think about risk.

I don't know whether the community is applauding or not.  If you read the first 9 postings on this thread they are "congrats, well done, etc."  Now, deep down those folks could be thinking exactly what you said James, "I still think you're nuts and I wouldn't do it" but no one said that.  And, many people are afraid to post anything for fear of personal attacks.  Sadly that is the nature of a forum like this - even though unlike most virtual forums many of the people here actually know each other in real life.  The assumption is that silence = consent but often it is just the opposite.

Just as an FYI, there is a bit of interesting information about this section of river up at American Whitewater for those that are interested.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/3585/

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 7:57pm
Arno

I think your dead on... I doubt a single person that has posted in this thread besides jake has run that drop and I doubt any of us would even with safety... Without would be ridiculous in my opinon for me. It would not suprise me to find out that rob has soloed it many times either. For some it is just a different deal. I think the difference is that I am just a tad closer to where that line is than you are so it is even harder for you to understand or reason with. And honestly there might not be any reasoning that you can even make. Its just a personal choice and thing. When I said Good Work at the beginning its because he ran a hard drop twice without incident... Thats not just luck folks thats skill and I applaud it. Not because I think we all should go and do it, and I should not have to preface my comments as such. You make your own choices. I think he showed confidence and skill and such I say Good Work. I think the choice to run without safety is not one I would make and not one I would encourage anyone asking for advice to make, and if I was there I would stand by with a rope regardless of what someone wanted but thats niether here nor there because if I recall jake had safety and jake did not have anyone else there. It was as you would say Destiny.

Let this give me added inspiration to get the inncident form done!

As for safety ... well all know that it is #1 ... this thread does not reflect that so the next time we bump into each other on the river allow me to de-brief you! 

J

PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 8:49pm
This thread has so inspired me, I think I'm going to go have a safety meeting.  
Gabe
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Gabe Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 9:38pm
This isn't the first or last time this thread has turned up on PP. Nice though - baiting makes for lively discussions.
All I know is that I was lucky enough to just watch Rob M run Tumwater solo at  #$@%cfs last Sunday in a freakin' tiny Dagger and I didn't shake my finger at his lack of safety or call him crazy. Guys that can boat like that and put themselves in that kind of mental zone enough to pull it off (it has to be 90% mental preparation) inspire me because that kind of attitude goes beyond just being on the water.

I think I said this the last time this whole thing came up, but at some level this is a very safety conscious sport, and that's a great way to approach it. On another level, there are people who operate in this sport in a similar way as big wave surfers. Not all surfers get towed into 75 ft waves, but those who do take a calculated risk that hopefully they are mentally and physically prepared for. Good. Grab the bull by the horns. I don't know you Jake, but if you can put yourself in that state of mind and are lucky enough to be stuck in traffic next to a class V rapid you feel good running, run it. Nice job.

Gabe
Pura Vida!
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Gabe

All I know is that I was lucky enough to just watch Rob M run Tumwater solo at  #$@%cfs last Sunday in a freakin' tiny Dagger and I didn't shake my finger at his lack of safety or call him crazy.

DUDE. I called him because I needed a PFD on Sunday, and he was like, oh, I'm running Tumwater, bla bla bla, and my brain didn't put two and two together until just about...um... now. I was like, oh, no biggie, have fun. Oh wait. Tumwater was spewing chunks that day. OOPS. Good thing I made sure he had more than one PFD before I took one... Crazy guy that one is.

Kudos to those who have the mental ability to do things like that. I'm still working on Boulder Drop?

edit: PADDLER STATUS?!

Edited by ashleygoesdisco - 06 Jun 2007 at 9:48pm
Ashley Duffus
ALCOHOLIC
Paddler
Paddler

Beware of the Boob

Quote ALCOHOLIC Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 10:15pm
SAFETY IS FOR PUSSIES!!! 
Masturbating Monkey
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 10:23pm
Ah, we've come 360 now.  People can bait and people can have fun but in the end safety is serious.  You can mock jblum. ktw and I and have fun, that is all good. 

But, as Mom always said, it is always funny until you poke someone's eye out (with that rebar at the bottom of Eagle Falls).
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 10:35pm
Are you sure everyone's mom knew about the rebar? 
Ashley Duffus
ALCOHOLIC
Paddler
Paddler

Beware of the Boob

Quote ALCOHOLIC Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 10:47pm

Yeah, I filmed Rob that day and will be posting that footage soon too!  The day before I ran Tumwater with him and believe that is why I felt comfortabe running Eagle Falls.  Running Chaos a 12K was Eagle Falls times ten as far as I'm concerned! My point being, at those kind of  flows running safety is the equivalent of puting an air bag in a jet plane... Pointless..  I looked at Eagle Falls, realized you could sneak the entrance and the last two drops were just GIANT waves, with one big flushy hole...  Like I said, worst case scenario, lose a boat, and to be honest I wasn't even worried about that.  I would like to say to all the whiney safety dudes that at lower flow I would not go near Eagle Falls without safety,  I have had to rope someone out of the first drop of Eagle Falls and I'm pretty sure if I didn't he would have never swam out... Believe it or not, I'm a pretty conservative boater and a nazi about safety.  I just know when a rapid is flushing, it's flushing... OH yeah and if I go out and kill myself running a rapid or skiing in the backcountry I think I should be able to do just that without a bunch of boneheads trying to criticize my decision.  So one more time, shut the hell up!

Masturbating Monkey
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 10:49pm
Did you guys run Exit?
Ashley Duffus
ALCOHOLIC
Paddler
Paddler

Beware of the Boob

Quote ALCOHOLIC Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 10:54pm
Oh and about the re-bar, I have scene that rapid with barely any water in it and also talked to someone who has ran it every which way upsidedown and right side up, I won't mention any names (ROB MCKIBBON) and he can't seem to find it.  I'm going to tell him to swim over it at super low flows this summer and we'll see if we can find the re-bar for you guys.  At 12,000cfs,  re-bar ten feet below me was the least of my worries... I'm done
Masturbating Monkey
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 10:55pm
I certainly am not criticizing your decision.  Your life, your choice.

As far as I'm concerned, you should run Eagle Falls every day for the rest of your life.

<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version