Professor Paddle: Hanford Reach: anyone done it? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Hanford Reach: anyone done it? Post Reply Post New Topic
Russ
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Russ Replybullet Topic: Hanford Reach: anyone done it?
    Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 9:17pm
Anybody ever paddled the Colombia River's Hanford Reach section,?
I was reading that it is the only free flowing section of the river in Washington.
A casual search said there are some rapids.
Anyone ever paddle this?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Ronin
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Ronin Replybullet Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Russ

A casual search said there are some rapids.

I'm not personally familiar with the Hanford Reach, but I know people paddle that section in their sea kayaks because it's basically Class I. If there are rapids, it probably a riffle. I have heard that it is beautiful and one of the last untouched by man area in WA State. I guess there is a benefit to having a nearby nuclear reactor and nuclear waste dumping site.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
windwaves
Paddler
Paddler

Quote windwaves Replybullet Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 11:49pm
I've done it....

its pretty much just fast flowing Columbia River.  There are a couple spots where the river wells up over something and has some "rapids", but I wouldn't plan on throwing any Mc trickey-donkey-helixes.  Current and river level seem to change quite a bit as the dam above changes releases.  If you are floating, you need to stay in the current to make reasonable progress.

It is pretty interesting though.  Not much boat traffic and not much along the shore with the exception of desert wildlife and an occasional relic of the glory days of nuclear research that seemed to be under close video surveillance.

Pretty cool to see what the "mighty Columbia" was like before the dams and shoreline development.

Take lots of water, sunscreen and a picnic lunch and make a day of it.  Would be a long day in a whitewater boat.

We floated from the bridge at Vernita to a pubic boat launch at "white bluffs" or something like that.  Brutal shuttle
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 9:33am
You can make a two day trip of it, putting in at the vernita bridge and taking out at leslie groves in richland. It's a long trip, but the shuttle is easier. That trip is also possible to do in one day in the spring when the river is high (I've heard of a local doing the run in one day and biking the shuttle, but unless you're training for some sort of hellish marathon or triathalon that doesn't sound like much fun).
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 10:22pm
There has been a recent spill of nuclear waste in the area.  I think they spilled 100 or so gallons of very hazardous shit...  I don't know if it will affect that part of the run, but beware.

JHB
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 8:26am
The spill has been capped and they're working on a cleanup plan for it, so it shouldn't affect the run. Besides, it occurred miles from the river, in one of the tank farms.
Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Yotes

The spill has been capped and they're working on a cleanup plan for it, so it shouldn't affect the run. Besides, it occurred miles from the river, in one of the tank farms.

Just don't got out on the bank if you've seen any 3 eyed two headed steroidal looking coyotes around.
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 9:09am
I wouldn't get out on the bank anyways. Not too fond of being on the other end of the shoot first ask questions later policy around high level radioactive materials.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version