Professor Paddle: Want to add photos to a river page vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
 Professor Paddle : Site Support : Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
Message Icon Topic: Want to add photos to a river page Post Reply Post New Topic
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SupaSta Replybullet Topic: Want to add photos to a river page
    Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 12:08am
...specifically Tumwater.  I just added  a couple of pictures of The Wall and one of Chaos and I wanted to put them on the river page but I don't seem to have permission.

Also, noticed that a couple of pictures in The Wall page are actually of Chaos.

Can you tell me how to do this, or can you please look at it?

Thanks,
Dan
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 10:14am
Dan,

To add photo's to a rivers page you simply need to associate your photo with the river or feature the photo was taken at. To do this follow these steps.

1. Go to the Gallery
2. Click Manage your Gallery (Must be Logged In)
3. At the top of the page is a form to upload files. Select your file and click upload.
4. Once uploaded all files go to your New Uploads Folder. Click New Uploads.
5. Edit the fields you want on your photo or video. Below the fields on each file is link called River Association. This will allow you to set your media to a river or feature.
6. At the bottom of the Video's Section is an option to update your fields for video's and at the bottom of the images section is an option to update your images. Click Update
7. NOTE THIS STEP If your photo's and video's are left in your new uploads folder they are private and not displayed anywhere on the site but in your new uploads folder. You must move your files to a new Album before they are public. You can create as many albums as you would like and this option is just next too the Upload Tool.

Try that Dan and let me know if it works.

Also I am looking for feedback on what people like more. Using a drop down list of all the rivers - Like on the Trip Planner, which takes a while too load and is a pain to go through. Or a popup river tool like the one in the gallery area. Depending on what folks like more I would like to make one of them the standard method.

I prefer the popup tool myself.

James
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 7:17pm
Got it, thanks! 

I like the little pop-ups in that tool better.

You know what might make them better still? How about if each list had a default that would reduce the amount of scrolling the user had to do? 

Notwithstanding those yahoos the were up in BC this weekend, most of the users on this site paddle and take pictures of Washington rivers. So, what if the first pop-up was set to Washington by default?  And maybe the second and third could default to something half-way down the list, again to reduce the scrolling by the user.

Just my $0.02 

Dan

p.s. can we fix the pictures that are associated with the wrong rapids?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2007 at 10:44am
Ok Danno... I have for a while wondered about your last question and so I figured I would ask the community because it is pretty valid and it would help get folks involved.

All of the media and trip reports can be associated with runs on our site. It takes another few steps to do it, but it is well worth it for organization. So the question I have is this.

Right now only an author can make that association. Dan suggests that anyone viewing the file should be able to correct, or make the association.

I think we might want to limit this to Members that are signed in... or members with over say 20 posts to weed out lurkers or hacks.

Either way I do think it is a good idea, and I hope that we can get some quick responses on this so I can make the changes and allow everyone to fix things as they see them so were organized better.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.
If you view this link you will see a photo of the Foss, Harms took.

If you click this link you will see the Foss river page, but no photos.

If you click this link you will be able to associate the Foss Photo Mike Took with the Foss River page.

This is an example of the link Dan and I would like to see on every Photo and Video page. I would only like the link and access to work if the member is logged in with over 20 Posts.

What do you think?
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2007 at 11:07am
I think its a great idea, it will keep people like Fish busy when he is supposed to be working.  
  Seriously,  I vote yes.
Sure?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2007 at 11:10am
Not to be a pain Tobin, but do you vote yest to Everyone using it even visitor's that are not logged in.... elaborate?

ps
Who ever wants to can feel free to actually associate that photo with the river. Try it
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2007 at 11:24am
I agree with being a registered user, you can make the post number determination.  I would vote for 100.
  There are hundreds of pics floating around, it would be great to get the association correct.
  The only other suggestion I could make is for uploading files, Is there anyway to make it so its not done one by one?

Sure?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2007 at 12:54pm
Tobin,

If we made it 100 there would be folks that would not be able to use it that really should be able to like Kyle K, Jalmquist etc... I'm not saying they would want to ... Just saying that the reason I would implement a minimum post count for access is not so much to make it a reward for posting, or to ensure that only high posters have access but rather to weed out to ability of an unknown person messing with our system.

I figure even if folks have made like 10 - 20 posts I will have collected enough data on their IP's that they are most likely going to be a known person and if they are unknown, with 10 -20 posts people would have figured out if they were abusive or not before they receive access.

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2007 at 1:12pm
I like the 20 post idea, and one more thing, I am having allot of problems hyper linking photos in the post area, I try to hyper link but it doesn't let me so I put the hyp below the photo.
For example:http://professorpaddle.com/uploads/bin/2/useruploads/103/2358.jpg

Is there anyway you can make photos automatically hyper link to the gallery location when they are inserted into a post?

Edited by dave - 06 Dec 2007 at 1:14pm
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2007 at 1:16pm
Maybe 10 post would be better.
Nomad
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2007 at 1:17pm
I think that twenty post is plenty.  It took me  a long time to get to 100.  But I do believe that if more than just the author could associate Photos it would make organization easier.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2007 at 1:31pm
I just went through my gallery and updated asso. them and it worked sweet. Just need to fix the hyperlinking system now. Thanks for all the hard work James Jr.
Nomad
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2007 at 2:06pm
Thanks James,  now on to the upload discussion.  Back to work for you!
Sure?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2007 at 2:28pm
Bastards... .Ok I guess your right... I will get that hyperlink deal fixed but don't hold your breath on the uploads tobin. I don't want 5 files at a time because people would timeout too often. Think about it. 5 x 20mb= 80mb + to upload? I dunno it would take alot of folks to speak up for me to change this one. I orginally had like 5 files at time and I stopped allowing it for that very reason. People would not wait for it to complete. If you can get enough people on board I will do it though.

I will open up the River Association Link on Photo's and Video's for users with 10 or more posts starting tonight along with a Hyperlinking tool for Images added to the forum.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2007 at 2:36pm
Hey who ever reset that photo from Fly Creek back to the Foss... Good Job.

I was just testing the emergency broadcast system there and you guys passed with flying colors!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version