Professor Paddle: What is your favorite river, and why? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Open Forum
 Professor Paddle : The Class Room : Open Forum
Message Icon Topic: What is your favorite river, and why? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 10:35am
I will make a quick post here because this is where it went down. This is in regards to censorship, sorry for the dry nature.

The post Hugo made was removed by a member who no longer has the ability to remove posts. I have instructed all our moderator's many times as is my practice also that posts will never be deleted. If something is flagrantly out of whack, the whole thread gets closed and moved out, as we have done before. It gets saved and if there is ever controversy over the issue it can be raised again by the community for discussion if that is truly what the community thinks is best. No one single person gets there posts taken down though. The thread as a whole is hidden or left up, period.

If folks think a thread should be hidden they just PM a moderator, click the Report Button or complain openly. We have a moved out Forum and plenty of Threads in it like the Orion Thread and others.

Back to the real topic here because it is so important. The Favorite River Pick, not favorites.

Tumwater - I agree is not a favorite of my own but I can see how it would be to some. I will say that it is a serious reason that the Icicle is capable of drawing such crowds... There are two runs of very different nature right next too each other and that is appealing to me at least.... add the wenatchee and you have almost every type of water for boating there is .... just missing the waterfalls... and I agree that is important...

Let me guess hugo, your favorite river is the Stikine or Tsangpo  and anyone who does not agree is a complete pussy, except for people that favor the Homathko ... they are just wussies not full blown pussies right!!!

Gimme a break dude this is "whats your favorite river" not "what seperates the pro's from the weekend warrior's..." Everyone can have their own favorite...

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 11:01am
Lets see if I can chime in here without being called a pussy, or having the river called weak.

My all time favorite (anywhere) is the SF Patette- The Canyon section is so freaking beautiful, mix that with fairly continous class IV rapids. Oh and did  Imention the hot springs?   The 5-6 miles before hte confluence with the MF is the Staircase run, its another gem. 5-6 drops well into Idaho class IV and allot of treats in between.
  Then there is the whole Lochsa, it was my first Idaho river and boy did it open my eyes to big pushy water!

It is hard to name off one local river as my all time fav (we got allot to choose from):
 Its gotta be the Sky, how could it not be? If you don't list it and then turn around and run it 50 times a year, it kinda makes you full of shyt. She has wild and scenic designation, some good rapids, and changes dramatically based on flows.
   Just the 2 cents of a weak suck, pussy class IV guy.

Sure?
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 11:05am
okay, you are right, if (for some odd ass reason, such as you like a run that is 2 hours away from most of the peope in the state, has a big ass lake in the middle of it-so you cannot really do laps on it, and has only three rapids) is your favorite, so be it.    I guess that having you all out there on tumwater in the dog days of summer will reduce the chance of you boofing on me while I am getting trashed in the hole on a bc classic.

hu to the go
suck it
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 11:43am

Alright hu to the go,

keep the trash talking up, cause in the deep inner place a silent entity is listening and watching.  nothing is hidden.  and then one day there you will be surfing that spot, cartwheeling like a rag doll, wishing you could take back all the ego boosting and bashing.  that day is judgement day on the river and comes regardless of who you be.  just know it waits in silence, listening.

I will be the first to admit that the stupid piece of flat water called Lake Josephine should not be there.  But it is... along with some very classic bigwater giants.     There is a big difference b/w what some call fun on tum and others think of when you talk bout THE TUMWATER.  It's the mega shiaz when it goes big.  AND requires cahones, luck and a bombproof roll, to sit at the table and eat it with that amazing piece of whitewater.  In fact, that frigging lake is a good place to settle thy thoughts and calm the nerves as one tries not to contemplate the consequences of screwing yourself in one of the biggest single rapids in the state at 13k (which happens to be a fairly regular occurrence every single spring).  Maybe you could check this next year n then talk that shiaz.  I will hold the camera. 

I should note that it isn't my fav though...

Edited by huckin harms - 27 Nov 2007 at 11:44am
hardboof
Paddler
Paddler

Quote hardboof Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 11:46am

I like robe canyon and earnies canyon as local options. I think tumwater is fun at higher levels - and to correct Hugo, there are 4 rapids on tumwater, unless you are too much of a pussy to run exit drop. 

Hard boof boofs hard biatches.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 1:00pm
MR HUCKIN...AND HARDBOOF, YOU 2 ARE RIGHTO...AT HIGHER FLOWS, TUMH20 IS SOME GOOD STUFF, ZAMBIEZE STYLE SHIZ , AND THOSE BIG BALLERS JAKE, ROB AND COMPANY PROVED THAT THIS SPRING.  THOSE NUTS ARE SO BIG THEY COULD BE USED AS A JACKSON SYTLE OVERTHRUSTER.  BUT AT THE LOW END (WHICH MOST IN HERE ARE TALKING ABOUT, I STAND BY MY ORIGINAL WORDS).  AND FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN, LOTS OF FOLKS DO NOT RUN EXIT, SO THEY SHOULD NOT COUNT IT.  I DO NOT RUN LANDSLIDE ON ROBE, SO I DO NOT COUNT IT AS ONE OF THE FEATURES THAT MAKES ROBE SO HOT AND SPICY.
suck it
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 1:08pm
To the esteemed Mr. Hugo-

This thread is about what peoples' favorite river is. No one asked you why you think their favorite rivers suck.

Take a hike.

Edited by kayaktheworld - 27 Nov 2007 at 1:09pm
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 1:22pm
Here here... I was just about to say the same thing... like what if your favorite river is the Sky and you always portage BD. There is nothing wrong with that... to each his own... does portaging mean that can't be that persons favorite anymore.

Shiazzz.... You wanna call out a faker, call me out cuz thunder is on my list pretty high soley for the fact that it was a great feeling of exploration and the memories have made it a special place. Does that mean that some pro should call me out and say dude... thats not a hard run... your a wuss for picking that as your favorite.... maybe...

But if Schertzl or Dufay heard you they might disagree... a run can be special for more than the reason of difficulty. The Cedar will always be special to me, it was the first river I navigated down in an aluminum canoe as a kid, its even one of my favorites.
CRG Productions
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote CRG Productions Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 1:41pm
www.gorgehits.com
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by hugo

AND FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN, LOTS OF FOLKS DO NOT RUN EXIT, SO THEY SHOULD NOT COUNT IT.  I DO NOT RUN LANDSLIDE ON ROBE, SO I DO NOT COUNT IT AS ONE OF THE FEATURES THAT MAKES ROBE SO HOT AND SPICY.

Allow me to explain my meaning behind this...it does not mean that you cannot count it as your favorite river, it means that you cannot count it as part of the run that makes it so badass...meaning most people would say that bumwater has 3 rapids, not 4...flame on kids, flame on.
suck it
hardboof
Paddler
Paddler

Quote hardboof Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 2:18pm
One day,  mr. clean and a guy - whose name i wont mention - collided in the POW hole.  This guy's paddle broke over his chin and he paddled exit in his POP bare handed. I remeber,  out of concerns for safety and for extra confidence, that this guy was going to follow rob through exit.  Rob agreed to lead the way, but then started to surf some stupid wave at the entrance while this unmentionable person had to scream at rob to get moving as he back hand paddled for dear life. This guy was a bit scared but hand boofed hard thorugh the drop.

Hugo - i like your posting style but you need to step up like the big boys if your are going to slam tumwater canyon.

Either way I love you and want to boof you hard but gentle if you will have me.

water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 4:49pm
Isn't it obvious all Hugo does is talk? He can't even come up with a favorite river.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 7:39pm

You never asked me what my favorite river is....

suck it
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by hugo

You never asked me what my favorite river is....

Topic: What is your favorite river, and why?
Kyle K
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Kyle K Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 9:26pm
Gotta weigh in here on the opinion bashing. This is supposed to be about each individuals choice of a favorite river. If you don't like it so what. You can have your turn and pick your very own favorite.

And what's with this barely hidden poseur crap about being a bad ass kayaker? While I have immense respect for the great boaters I've paddled with or seen in videos, when it comes down to it, kayaking is pretty much a self serving pursuit. Not that it isn't a great one as those things go. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I simply have a hard time hero worshipping someone who paddles the toughest, meanest rapids and thinks they are bad ass while my step son is fighting with the special forces in Iraq. Every day I pray his mother doesn't have to answer that dreaded knock on the door.

This isn't about politics either. You all are entitled to you your own opinion of course. His mother and I are vehemently opposed to the war and he has serious doubts about it as well.  But he is a warrior and swore an oath and chose to stay with his buddies when they found out they were going to be deployed a few months after he was scheduled to finish his tenure. His life is on the line 24/7 while we think we're bad ass after we've run Exit or some other such rapid. We're fun hogs but he's a real bad ass.

Let's get real homies. Have some fun out there and let others have their own version of fun. Try to get through this life with some grace and walk tall, just don't walk over others in an effort to build yourself up.  
"I used to be somebody, now I'm somebody else." Bad Blake                  
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 11:27pm
Hugo, if you weren't so focused on bashing you would've read the title of the thread, "Topic: What is your favorite river, and why?" and possibly contributed your own. However, you're true intention has clearly come to the surface, as has mine. I cannot stand people who try and drag others down. It's not nice.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2007 at 11:52pm
Word up Kyle.
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 12:14am

Mamma always said " if you can't say anything nice, don't say nuthin at all"

IF your purpose is bashing / belittling / making rude remarks, there is a place for that, its called internet chat rooms. Please keep it there! If the best part of your day is making a disparaging remark to others, with no intent on reading what others say? Shut up! and do it elsewhere. I for one am tired of it.

I care about this community and have seen a trend from several people that mimics the verbal abuse / douche bag nature of most annonomous internet useres.
  Just my 2 cents worth.
 Peace

Sure?
shuttle
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote shuttle Replybullet Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 10:37am

Hugo is my hero... he's a rockstar and getting bigger all the time!

It is Ok to be anonymous (right James), anomalous, and amoral as long as you amuse and ameliorate.

So what is your favorite river Hugo? 
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 10:52am
Anonimity is not a method that I would like to see practiced around here, especially due to the type of sport were involved in, but it seems that Hugo is a local and part of the community, he just does not feel comfortable sharing his identity in fear that his perspectives will dirty his name. It's unfortunate but true... I wish him the best in his quest to become a big boy! I don't know if Brett and others will let him into the crowd but hey...

Thats why were here! So everyone can have a say
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 11:23am
Favorite river:
CC of the lewis.  The rapids offer some challenge, but i feel the risk:reward ratio is hard to beat.  You go through a steep walled canyon, you got some waterfalls, and some tough moves.  My favorite thing about this river is the belittling feeling I get looking down into the swizzle sticks gorge, looking at the huge pool that has been carved out below big kahuna, and my favorite view in the NW, looking back up at triple (double drop) where you can see all the elevation drop.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Kyle K

Let's get real homies. Have some fun out there and let others have their own version of fun. Try to get through this life with some grace and walk tall, just don't walk over others in an effort to build yourself up.  

Well said Kyle. In my opinion, that is a little taste of what kayaking is really about. Because of all the different difficulty levels of water, all different skill levels can challenge themselves, have fun, and find a community.

Those who pride themselves on being gnarly or amazing paddlers and place themselves above other boaters are missing the point entirely. Yeah, you should be proud of your achievements, sure. What you have to keep in mind is that all achievements are relative. Who is to say that someone who takes a big, gnarly, wilderness first D has achieved anything greater than a class III paddler who has eyed boulder drop for a long time and finally conquers the challenges of a rapid that tests their own skill? Who is to say that EJ winning a world championship has achieved more than someone who just threw their first loop ever? I personally get just as (if not more) excited when someone throws their first loop, runs their first class III (or IV or V) drop, or even nails their first combat roll. Those achievements are amazing and wonderful things to observe.

The point is that the achievements of so called "great boaters" have no more or less weight than the achievements of any other paddlers pushing themselves and enjoying the river.
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 12:44pm
shutle, thanks for the devotion....nice alliteration by the way.

all ya h8ers... 
Sorry to make you all fuss soooo much, if I could just get you all to go up to stevens pass and shed your tears together, we could bring the levels up enough to run the top tye this weekend...

h
u
g
o

which by the way, is one of my favorite runs...if you are curious

Edited by hugo - 28 Nov 2007 at 12:46pm
suck it
hardboof
Paddler
Paddler

Quote hardboof Replybullet Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 12:51pm

I feel that some folks out here need a sense of humor. But please - keep taking sir hugo seriously because its makes for some very amusing threads.

Hugo - my offer to boof still stands.
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 12:54pm
could we boof each other simultaneously...?
suck it
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version