Professor Paddle: What to do? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: What to do? Post Reply Post New Topic
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Online Status: Offline
  Quote water wacko Replybullet Topic: What to do?
    Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 7:13pm
I just read this article and wondered what would be a good way to remedy this twisting effect. I'm guessing by looking at the first photo as Rafa braced the water pushed his bow forward/to the side and turned his boat. Further, does anyone know of a good article about the "twisting/rolling" momentum associated with running taller drops (25+ feet) and how to compensate for it. I can't see what the water is doing by the photos, but the comparative drop that came to mind is Ashlu's 50/50 at the top of the box; the hard kicker coming off the right wall.

I'm wondering if rolling with the flow as you fall with the water is better than fighting it as you fall and bracing. This is a pretty tall waterfall and I would REALLY be concerned about my back. And what if you realize you're going to land flat. Is there something you've done or heard about that can compensate? Call times out? Paint your helmet Red Bull style first?
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 7:41pm
Are you talking about rotation after the last stroke going off a lip?  If you put in a little stern rudder/pry at the end of your stroke, you can neutralize any rotation before you go off the lip.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
Hydro
Super Looper
Super Looper
-logy 101

Quote Hydro Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2007 at 10:03am
Anything could be happening in that boiling mess of hydrological chaos.  I can't help but think that trying to apply some static conditions to the waterfall drop in reference to saving your spine means maybe the size of the drops are getting too big.   This is the same issue I have with hucking big on skis - the "I could really hurt myself" factor has a threshold, and it's everyone's challenge to find those threshold limits.  I do know some Red Bull logos give you bigger wings though. 

Does anyone huck big with spine protection, like a kidney belt?  Hmmmm.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2007 at 12:04pm
before hucking something huge, put in an extra happy seat or 2
hardboof
Paddler
Paddler

Quote hardboof Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2007 at 3:58pm
I dunno Bret. I just close my eyes and tuck!

Seriously though - if you think your going flat and you are already tucked - tuck harder - like you are trying to put your head between your legs and push down with your fore arms. 
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
ALCOHOLIC
Paddler
Paddler

Beware of the Boob

Quote ALCOHOLIC Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2007 at 4:08pm
Hey Bret I wouldn't worry too much about it cause you will never run 50/50 nor anything over 25 feet I like those little faces... Kidding dude, go to oregonkayaking.net and check out a video called extreme kayaking (i think). Cory Boux runs 50/50 and almost gets rolled but pulls a phat forward/brace stroke and style the shit out of it.

J
Masturbating Monkey
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2007 at 5:14pm
sick video.  what a beatdown at mine field, wow.
http://oregonkayaking.net/vidframe.html
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version